Men and Keats

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Men and Keats

Postby BrokenLyre » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:35 am

I have wondered for quite some time why there are not more men on this Keats Forum...Glad for Saturn's presence.

I have my ideas, what are your thoughts?
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Re: Men and Keats

Postby marwood » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:00 pm

I'm a man. That makes two of us! :shock:
That I might drink, and leave the world unseen.
marwood
At Parnassus' foot

Postby CasaMagni » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:40 pm

Three :shock: :shock:
St. Agnes' Eve - Ah, bitter chill it was! The owl, for all his feathers, was a-cold...
CasaMagni

Postby Raphael » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:10 am

There is also WolfLarson on the poetry thread. I have seen other fellas on there too.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Ennis » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:39 am

You know, you're right, Brokenlyre: where are all you guys?! Ladies, I don't mean to "step on our toes," but didn't Keats say (in a letter, obviously!) that he didn't write for women? Was it RWoodhouse who suggested he "edit" The Eve of St. Agnes, and that suggestion resulted in Keats's "women-readers" comment? :roll: (When I taught school, I had a colleague who suggested part of my Keats's obsession was based on maternal instincts! [And he wasn't ignorant about Keats at all. He actually knew quite a bit about Keats's life and his favourite poem was "Ode to Melancholy" - he could actually quote it!] The more I thought about the suggestion, the more I wondered if there wasn't something to it! Maybe that's why there are more women than men, as far as we know, on the forum: Keats just brings out the mother in us! :roll:)
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Return to Miscellaneous