New Mary Shelley letters discovered

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

New Mary Shelley letters discovered

Postby Cath » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:30 pm

A belated Happy New Year from me! Hope everyone's well & warm!

Some previously unpublished letters written by Mary Shelley (almost a decade after PB Shelley's death) have been found and will be published in the Keats-Shelley Journal soon:
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/jan/08/mary-shelley-letters-discovered-essex?CMP=twt_fd

Shelley mentions Edward Trelawny (1792-1881) in the letters, who Byron called more "Byronic" than he himself :D. Trelawny is one of my favourite characters of the Romantic period, an extraordinary chameleon of a man who outlived all members of the Romantic circle, making it to the grand old age of 88.
"Why should we be owls, when we can be Eagles?" (Keats to Reynolds, 3 February 1818)
Cath
Calidore

Re: New Mary Shelley letters discovered

Postby Saturn » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:34 am

Interesting. Yeah Trelawney was a fascinating character, a trickster, a wannabe, a fantasist, a hoary old sea dog, a teller of tall tales; someone really should make a film about him!
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby CasaMagni » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:03 pm

Colourful fellow alright, regrettably his semi-fictional 'autobiography' calls into question the veracity of his Byron and Shelley 'recollections'.

By the way Cath, Trelawny wasn't quite the last survivor of the Romantic Circle; Jane Williams, subject of Shelley's last lyrics, made it to 1884. I've been reading her bio, written by Joan Rees in 1985.
St. Agnes' Eve - Ah, bitter chill it was! The owl, for all his feathers, was a-cold...
CasaMagni

Postby Cath » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:54 pm

CasaMagni wrote:By the way Cath, Trelawny wasn't quite the last survivor of the Romantic Circle; Jane Williams, subject of Shelley's last lyrics, made it to 1884. I've been reading her bio, written by Joan Rees in 1985."

True! I meant Trelawny lived to be the oldest rather than the last survivor. That Jane Williams biography sounds interesting - is it any good? Joan Rees was the author of Bright Star, the 1960s novelisation of the Keats-Brawne relationship, if I remember correctly.
"Why should we be owls, when we can be Eagles?" (Keats to Reynolds, 3 February 1818)
Cath
Calidore

Postby Ennis » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:25 pm

Cath wrote:
CasaMagni wrote:By the way Cath, Trelawny wasn't quite the last survivor of the Romantic Circle; Jane Williams, subject of Shelley's last lyrics, made it to 1884. I've been reading her bio, written by Joan Rees in 1985."

True! I meant Trelawny lived to be the oldest rather than the last survivor. That Jane Williams biography sounds interesting - is it any good? Joan Rees was the author of Bright Star, the 1960s novelisation of the Keats-Brawne relationship, if I remember correctly.

You remembered correctly.
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby CasaMagni » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:21 am

Cath wrote:That Jane Williams biography sounds interesting - is it any good?

It's well researched and elegantly written, but understandably finds it difficult to resolve the question of how an 'ordinary Jane' could manage to wield influence, not only over Shelley, but later on over Mary also.

You can check it out here
St. Agnes' Eve - Ah, bitter chill it was! The owl, for all his feathers, was a-cold...
CasaMagni

Return to Miscellaneous