Fascinating historical medical website

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Fascinating historical medical website

Postby Raphael » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:38 pm

The Quack Doctor
Historical Remedies for All Your Ills

http://thequackdoctor.com/

Fascinating website!!
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Re: Fascinating historical medical website

Postby Ravenwing » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:45 am

I think that those who believe art to be a form of therapy, are quacks. If a person, unfortunately, is in need of actual therapy, then they should do themselves and everybody else a favour, by becoming the client of a licenced psychiatrist, instead.

Another problem with the theory of art as therapy, is that it categorizes artistic expression as something negative—that once the patient has been healed of the trauma which they suffered, there can no longer be any need for them to be artistic, and any additional need for them to be artistic must therefore be symptomatic of their "disorder."

I don't think that Keats composed poems as a form of therapy in regards to his having contracted tuberculosis. I think that Keats was a born poet.
Ravenwing

Re: Fascinating historical medical website

Postby BrokenLyre » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:37 am

I can't read the site...
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Return to Miscellaneous