Free online poetry study course

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Free online poetry study course

Postby Raphael » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:47 pm

Starts this Saturday- 6th September.

University of Pennsylvania.

Modern & Contemporary American Poetry

ModPo is a fast-paced introduction to modern and contemporary U.S. poetry, with an emphasis on experimental verse, from Dickinson and Whitman to the present. Participants (who need no prior experience with poetry) will learn how to read poems that are supposedly "difficult."

n this fast-paced course we will read and encounter and discuss a great range of modern and contemporary U.S. poets working in the "experimental mode," starting with the 19th-century proto-modernists Emily Dickinson and Walt Whitman and ending with 21st-century conceptual poetics. Aside from providing a perhaps handy or helpful survey and chronology of 20th- and 21st-century poetry, this course offers a way of understanding general cultural transitions from modernism to postmodernism. Some people may wish to enroll as much to gain an understanding of the modernism/postmodernism problem through a study of poetry as to gain access to the work of these many poets. Participants do not need to have any prior knowledge of poetry or poetics. The instructor, Al Filreis, rarely lectures, and frequently calls for "the end of the lecture as we know it"; instead, the video-recorded lessons will consist of collaborative close readings led by Filreis, seminar-style -- offering models or samples of readers' interpretations of these knotty but powerful poems, aided by the poetry-minded denizens of the Kelly Writers House on the campus of the University of Pennsylvania.

https://www.coursera.org/course/modernpoetry
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Re: Free online poetry study course

Postby Saturn » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:55 am

You thinking of doing it Raphael?

Let us know how you get on.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:38 pm

Saturn wrote:You thinking of doing it Raphael?

Let us know how you get on.

Yes, I already signed up.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby BrokenLyre » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:20 am

Sounds like fun to me. Do it.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Raphael » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:26 am

Yes, the course is open now, BL- so I will start it tomorrow.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:31 pm

Well, I've started some of the module- and it is very interesting and lots to think about and loads of poems to read and discussions to join in on. There will be essays to write (if you want to gain a certificate, which I do)- it is quite in depth- university level I'd say! I think I will have to spend about 4-6 hours a week, maybe more to do it justice and learn lots- which is fine by me.
I am very pleased to be doing this as I did want to continue studying literature/poetry after graduation so this is kind of a post grad for me. I couldn't afford to go on and do a Masters. :(

The only other post grad lit/poetry courses I have done is a day course on Oscar Wilde's poetry at the my university's continuing education centre in 2009. There was no coursera then! I think Coursera is brilliant- you get to do excellent courses for free that would cost about £70-100 at an adult education centre/night school.

https://www.coursera.org/

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to Miscellaneous