2006 The year that was...

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

2006 The year that was...

Postby Saturn » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:46 pm

With the year slowly slipping away we often find ourselves reflecting on the year that was.

So I ask you what kind of year has this been for you?

Have there been any particular highlights, or indeed lows?

What changes, if any, have you made to your life and how have these affected you?

You don't have to be personal, or go into specifics if you don't wish to but tell me what has this year brought to you?
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Kaki » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:58 pm

Hmmm... I discovered that new movies hold no intrest for me what so ever... Every thing new I've seen this year has been a huge let down. That, and I am more sure than ever before that people in general need to have some common sense knocked into them. :x And I am not interested in joining or supporting the new atheists. Morons... :evil: Oh, war... Let's not go there... Lost friends, and new found intrests... Growing more stubborn by the minute...

On a positive note, it's another year down which means one less to go. :D

I suppose that doesn't sound very positive does it? Optimistic cynicism...

Pax vobiscum, and a happy new year everyone.
I repair dictionaries with duct tape.
Kaki

Postby Credo Buffa » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:28 pm

Kaki wrote:Hmmm... I discovered that new movies hold no intrest for me what so ever... Every thing new I've seen this year has been a huge let down.

Ha ha, yes. Hollywood has officially run out of ideas. All that's left, aparently, are crap horror movies aimed at high school boys, remakes, and sequels.

Prime time for a movie about Keats, I think! :wink:

Anyway, I'll be back on this later. Sooooo much to say. . .
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby greymouse » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:47 pm

Well, I got lucky. 2006 was the best year of my life I remember with no close second. Luckily, I kept a diary of the year so I can remember all the details.

I think at the beginning of the year I was frustrated at always trying to do things right, so I said, "Screw it! I'm going to do whatever I want, get drunk and dance all the time, spend as much as I want, and not care what anyone thinks!"

The weird thing is it turned out great rather than disastrous. I'm involved in a ton of new activities, sports, music, etc. I've made new close friends, and spent more time with all my family. All this, and my credit card is almost paid off. :D Of course the highlight was joining the John Keats forum!

The bittersweet part of it is that some people close to me had a very difficult year (I mean very), and I try to respect that and not get too giddy. Basically I'm just thankful to everyone I know because I'm on cloud nine and it won't last forever. I've never had such happiness before, but it's a nice way to start my 30's.

So thanks to all here for chatting and getting involved with great literature!
greymouse

Postby Richard » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:28 pm

Greymouse on cloud 9. That makes me happy.
You say it wont last forever. Joy whose hand is ever at his lips.
On a high, but why? Continuing to continue questioning reality.
Saturn do you know what I mean?
Muse or mania, spot the difference.
Richard

Postby Saturn » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:47 pm

Richard wrote:Muse or mania, spot the difference.

They are the same :wink:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Richard » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:29 am

I suppose this should go in the current reading thread,but it fits here.
Nature Cure, Richard Mabey.
Have you had that one Saturn ?
This is a big topic, but do you really think Muse/Mania/
Richard

Postby Saturn » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:53 am

You've lost me :?
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Richard » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:47 pm

Sorry Saturn.
I was given Nature Cure by Richard Mabey (a 21st century Gilbert White). It is the story of his road back from depression, woven with the migration of Swifts against a flat East Anglian landscape. He loves John Clare (a bipolar dude if ever there was one).
Which brings us to Muse or Mania.
Which you say are the same. I must look on wikipedia
Saturn have I found you? :wink:
Richard

Postby Saturn » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:57 pm

No I understand you Richard but you can be deliciously arch at times I'm sure you know that yourself.

Getting back to the question of muse=mania I can only speak personally and what I know of many creative people throughout history, but I do think in order to be inspired sometimes it takes a dose of madness, a period of depression, and extreme emotional state to be able to express oneself.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Richard » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:13 am

You said once that you can't write to order. The muse must strike, or can we strike at the door of muse?. Do we somewhere inside us have the address?
Sometimes its like a monkey on the back, sometimes it is a single elusive syllable, but still it can keep you up in all ways.
Its too late in the evening to start down this highly stimulating (for me) path.
Night night
Richard

Postby Saturn » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:19 am

Yes its far too cold and too late at night to get into this.

Night :wink:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:49 am

2006: I've nothing fiendishly clever to impart about it...shocker, I know. It was the best of times and the worst of times...it was, indeed, a Styx song. :lol:

Really, though. I've found a part of myself this year that I thought I'd lost about 15 years ago...on the other hand, I lost someone who made the world just that much more vivid...upon losing her, the color left Christmas a bit...and this forum--littering this fantastic sanctuary with my musings has been like a honeymoon for me...a phase I'll never get out of with regard to this place...it's a place full of life, love, words, and wisdom--it is, in short, poetry.

By the way, I could watch the badinage between Richard and Saturn all day...
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:50 pm

I wouldn't call it badinage.

It's more like a wide-eyed apprentice sitting at the foot of a master of the surreal :lol:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:26 pm

Saturn wrote:I wouldn't call it badinage.

It's more like a wide-eyed apprentice sitting at the foot of a master of the surreal :lol:

Oh, hush. It's inventive, nimble parley--and you both know it... :roll: :wink:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Next

Return to Miscellaneous