The random ramblings thread

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

:)

Postby edwardkeenaghan » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:41 pm

The song,O its a old,very old irish song as far as i know,yes twas a good ramble hows your weekend going man ? :D
edwardkeenaghan
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Malia » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:26 pm

Here's a link to an interesting article about the great poet Seamus Heaney that was recently published on bbc.co.uk.

I was fortunate enough to attend one of his poetry readings a few years back--it was outstanding.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6279053.stm
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby bard of passion » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:24 pm

Malia,

Isn't he a fine poet! I used his Beowulf to interest my students (avoiding the required text in a HS book) and fires were lit!

And sonnets too! A double dutch cocoa treat for a blustery day!

JK
bard of passion

Postby bard of passion » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:27 pm

Does any know if Dylan Thomas recited from the Keats corpus (letters?) during his tour in America?

I once owned a vinyl recording (Caedmon, I think) with Thomas reading his and others' poetry. Dang that southern California sun! All that melted vinyl!

Any help here? Thanks
"I can see!" cried the blind man, as he picked up the hammer and saw.
bard of passion

Postby Papillon » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:09 am

Saturn wrote:
I often wonder why people leave this site.

Some I know why it happened but others I am unsure about.

Are some people not happy with my stewardship of this forum? :?

I've always been very open to criticism and complaint.

Where have all our IB students gone?

My lovely IB students have returned to their realm of "normal" literature. I encouraged them to remain a part of this forum and a few tried, but the couple who found true enjoyment discovered that it was becoming addicting and that they needed to break away so as to save their grades in all their other classes. I encouraged Kaki and her friends to stop by once in a while, but they say that they are afraid that they will get sucked back in.

I'm still here, though, as their IB teacher. And I'll send you a new batch of IB wonderers next year, I promise! :)
"The true voyage of discovery lies not in discovering new landscapes but in having new eyes." ~ Marcel Proust
Papillon

Postby Papillon » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:13 am

bard of passion wrote:Malia,

Isn't he a fine poet! I used his Beowulf to interest my students (avoiding the required text in a HS book) and fires were lit!

JK

I love the Heaney version of Beowulf! And I have to admit that I also enjoy Gardner's Grendel. I definitely DIDN'T enjoy the new sci-fi channel's movie version of the story. Did anyone else see it?

Heaney may be one of my new favorite poets (well, new for me) along with Eavan Boland, both of whom I was recently introduced to at a recent conference.
"The true voyage of discovery lies not in discovering new landscapes but in having new eyes." ~ Marcel Proust
Papillon

Postby Malia » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:35 am

Papillon wrote:
bard of passion wrote:Malia,

JK

I love the Heaney version of Beowulf! And I have to admit that I also enjoy Gardner's Grendel. I definitely DIDN'T enjoy the new sci-fi channel's movie version of the story. Did anyone else see it?

Heaney may be one of my new favorite poets (well, new for me) along with Eavan Boland, both of whom I was recently introduced to at a recent conference.

You know, I've never read Heaney's Beowulf, though I'm sure it's excellent. Right now I'm re-reading Tolkien's translation of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. A fabulous tale! :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:08 am

Heaney, after the death of Ted Hughes, is now the greatest living male poet bar none.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Papillon » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:16 pm

Who would you vote as the greatest female living poet?

Maya Angelou?
Eavan Boland?
Adrienne Rich?
Naomi Shihab Nye?
Margaret Atwood?
Papillon

;)

Postby edwardkeenaghan » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:16 pm

O id go for Denise :wink: but from that list eavan boland,so thats heaney and boland the two greatest living poets from ireland.

I actually met Heaney once he was in my town,he has a beach house in the north west of ireland where im from,so does enya.

:D
edwardkeenaghan
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Malia » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:17 pm

Papillon wrote:Who would you vote as the greatest female living poet?

Maya Angelou?
Eavan Boland?
Adrienne Rich?
Naomi Shihab Nye?
Margaret Atwood?

I must confess, of those poets, I've only read Angelou and Rich. And as I did a close study of Rich in college, *and* considering she wrote lesbian poetry in a time when many/most people were not "out" or so bold to write with depth and passion on a subject that was and is so controversial, I'd have to choose Rich. Of course, not having read much (if any) of the others' work, it's not the most informed choice, I suppose ;)

Do you have any opinion about which are the one or two greatest examples of each of these ladies' work? I'd love to broaden my mind a little and read some of their poem.s
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:43 pm

I've never read any of those poets but my favourite poetess is our very own Denise :wink:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

:)

Postby edwardkeenaghan » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:45 pm

Your dead right!!!

:wink:

The Worlds greatest :wink:
edwardkeenaghan
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Saturn » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:47 pm

On another note...life has its funny way of surprising you.

Just when you think life is unbearable and not worth living something pulls you back from the brink and gives you new hope :D
Saturn
Forum Administrator

;)

Postby edwardkeenaghan » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:52 pm

Im happy for you stephen,hold that "new hope" tight

:D :D
edwardkeenaghan
At Parnassus' foot

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous