The random ramblings thread

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Saturn » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:53 pm

Du what? you fink I knows how til right proper does ye? :wink:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:08 pm

that ar well spelink ur yoozing thar satern me iz impresd
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby adonais » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:57 am

Ho-hum! According to teh rules posted today, I thought illiteracy here was frowned on..

Last edited by adonais on Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
adonais

Postby Saturn » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:27 am

Yes it is, but humour and sarcasm aren't:wink:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:10 am

Yeah, so long as we're not attempting to say anything intelligent (in the appropriate places, of course). . . hee hee. :lol:
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:39 pm

Did someone fart or something?

Where's everyone gone? :(
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:35 am

I was offered a job yesterday but it doesn't start until the end of May :?

So you all have to put up with me annoying you until then :wink:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:47 pm

Well at least you know you've got something lined up!
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:00 pm

Well I have two months of insanity to get through though.

I also may possibly be doing a creative writing course at night school as well but that I'm not sure of - knowing myself I'd totally freeze up when asked to write anything and that would be highly embarrassing.

On the other hand I could punt all my own poems from here and pretend I wrote them just for the class; or would that be terribly dishonest and bad of me? :wink:

Has anyone ever been on a creative writing course or something similar?

I'm not sure what to expect.

I haven't written anything much [apart from my poems and posts on websites like this] for six years since I left University.
The idea of being forced into writing when I'm so used to pursuing my own muse at her own pace is a bit daunting.

Also I have such a low opinion of all the things I write I'd be afraid of being laughed out of the place :?

I know Denise, if you're reading, you say nice things about what I've written but if you were being totally honest with me as a teacher, a critic and a writer yourself it's not really good poetry at all, is it? :oops:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:00 am

Hey Saturn, I took a poetry writing class back in college. As far as any insights I can offer, I think the key in any creative writing program is not to take yourself too seriously and enter the situation with an open mind. Expect people to be critical of your *work*--but do NOT confuse critical analysis of your work as being some attack on your person. (Constructive criticism can be very helpful in making your work *better* in terms of the nuts and bolts, technical craft of writing.) In my poetry class, there was one girl who wrote an average poem, but when the professor and students tried to give her feedback on how to improve her technique, she cried and left the room because she thought we were attacking her person--we weren't. But it is up to you as the author to make that distinction between the work of writing and your personal self and self-esteem. I've been known to take criticism personally, and it is especially easy to do when it comes to criticism about creative writing, but I found that the key to really enjoying the class and getting a lot out of it was to NOT take comments personally, but to look at them analytically and apply them to my growing understanding of the technique of poetry writing. I guess you could say that's a left-brained, "scientific" way to approach things, but it really helps :) Also, knowing that everyone in the class is probably as unsure about their writing ability as you are also helps keep things in perspective.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:31 am

I took a creative writing class my first year of college, and it was really interesting and enlightening. The kind of assignments you get aren't always aimed at getting you to create the best possible product, but getting your creative mind to work in new ways. I remember some of our in-class activities being to write out a list of attention-grabbing titles, creating a "popcorn story" by passing a piece of paper around the class and having each person add a sentence, reading a short work by another writer and then writing our own work on the same subject or in the same style, crafting one really great sentence, things like that. It's all about learning to approach writing from different angles and in ways that you wouldn't necessarily have considered before.
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby dks » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:02 pm

Saturn wrote:I also may possibly be doing a creative writing course at night school...

Has anyone ever been on a creative writing course or something similar?

I'm not sure what to expect.

I know Denise, if you're reading, you say nice things about what I've written but if you were being totally honest with me as a teacher, a critic and a writer yourself it's not really good poetry at all, is it? :oops:

I've taken Creative Writing--in undergrad. It was--well, for some, it was a legitimate showcasing. My work sucked. I may not know much, Stephen, but I like to think I know good poetry when I spot it. Yours is such. Good man--you've nothing whatsoever to worry about.
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Credo Buffa » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:36 am

So I've been hearing about this from my friends for months now, but only just now found the video evidence of it, and thought you all might enjoy it. :wink:

This is a guy from my course who specializes in Irish rap (yes, that's right: Irish rap). He was invited by one of my friends in the Comparative Lit. and Cultural Studies course to do a rap of Rime of the Ancient Mariner for their class. I'll warn you that it's pretty long (obviously), not terribly well-prepared, and does have some language that you probably don't want the kiddies to be hearing, but I hope you enjoy it anyway:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... 1485867780

The beginning is a bit rocky, but once he gets to the middle he starts to take off pretty well.
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:34 pm

Oh Irish rap haha :lol:

There's guys up here in Belfast who do rap and its hilarious to hear them doing all the gangsta cliches in a broad Northern accent :lol: :lol:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:29 pm

Well this guy in my course has acutally been researching the Irish rap communities in Cork and Limerick for a few years (he did it for his undergrad as well as for his Masters thesis now), and he really is proving to us what a valid genre it is. It's all about the accent, really. :wink: That and throwing in names of local places and maybe a few Irish words here and there, all in the name of distinction from American rap. He's actually written a rap for my class to perform at our concert in May. It's going to be, as the locals would say, savage. :P
Credo Buffa
Lamia

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous