The random ramblings thread

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby adonais » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:52 am

Negative Capability: How to Talk Mean and Influence People

Stumbled across this; thought I was going to post it in "Keats Around the World," until I read the article and found that it had nothing whatsoever to do with Keats. :evil: It's a stupid pun (well - either that, or this guy has no clue what Negative Capability actually means!) Some of the snippets were still interesting though.
adonais

Postby Saturn » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:13 am

Interesting article adonais, if thoroughly disagreeable in its sentiments.

Here's my two-penneth-worth:

Meanness is something I despise.

The aesthetic of aggression is not something that I would recommend.

Sure poetry can challenge us and shock us but it should primarily, in my eyes, be beautiful, not unpleasant and ugly.

There's nothing repressive or limiting about sincerity - using meanness and indignation to shock the reader is no more truthful or honest.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby adonais » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:41 am

So, that got me thinking. If there is negative capability, what's the opposite? Is it "positive incapability" ? And if so, what is positive incapability? After giving it some thought, I think it might be this guy.

Have you witnessed some positive incapability in your neighborhood? Please forward your sightings!
adonais

Postby Saturn » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:21 am

Negative capability in my understanding, is the ability of to be in doubt, to be as
Keats wrote:"capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason…"

If so then positive capability may well mean people like this who are totally incapable of doubt, who put such trust in their faith, beyond common sense or science or fact that no doubt or error can ever enter into their head.

Do religious extremists then demonstrate most fully this "positive capability"?
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:25 pm

Saturn wrote:Negative capability in my understanding, is the ability of to be in doubt, to be as
Keats wrote:"capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason…"

If so then positive capability may well mean people like this who are totally incapable of doubt, who put such trust in their faith, beyond common sense or science or fact that no doubt or error can ever enter into their head.

Do religious extremists then demonstrate most fully this "positive capability"?

I would say that the people describe who seem "incapable of doubt" are those who probably doubt the most--but are so afraid to admit their doubt, they become radicals, rather than doubting in the open and free way that Keats describes as "negative capability".

One of my professors explained negative capability in a way that helped me understand it. First off, don't think of the word "negative" (as in, the opposite of positive) think of the world "negate"--to negate in the sense of to "undo"--undo your preconceptoins, your fears of uncertainty, your desire to reach after "fact", make a decision about what is true never look further, and instead *live* in them now; experience what *is*--both the light and the shade. So this power is "negate"-ive rather than negative. Frankly, Keats's thinking here is very buddist in nature.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:09 pm

To any and all fans of the Bard. . .

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MR. SHAKESPEARE! :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:38 pm

I was going to start a thread about this but it is not exactly known when he was born but he certainly died on this day.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:06 am

Saturn wrote:I was going to start a thread about this but it is not exactly known when he was born but he certainly died on this day.

Weelll....let's pretend he was born on this day, too ;)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:18 am

It's convenient and he probably was.

We know he was baptised on the 26th and in Elizabethan times it was convention for a child to be baptised three days after birth so he may very well have been born on the 23rd.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:58 pm

Here's something random, but which proves a point that the Romantics really have a way with words. Well, as most of you know my latest interest (besides Keats ;) ) is Bears football legend Brian Piccolo. I learned a little while ago that even though he was a jock and into sports and really, not the greatest academic, he attended a poetry reading once where Wordsworth's "Intimations of Immortality from Recolections of Early Childhood" was read and his friends noticed that the reading nearly brought him to tears, he was so moved by it. Just goes to show you, I guess, what a powerful effect poetry can have on all kinds of people--especially poetry written by our wonderful Romantics :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:24 am

I'd be suspicious of people who aren't moved by poetry - they are dead in soul and have black hearts :lol:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:48 pm

Saturn wrote:I'd be suspicious of people who aren't moved by poetry - they are dead in soul and have black hearts :lol:

Well, I'd have to agree with you there!
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:50 pm

Ha who are these people? :lol:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:06 pm

So I was gone on a trip to Scotland (woot!) for awhile and didn't say anything about it. Anyway, I'm back now. :P

I think I've posted before about the affinity of my favorite Twins baseball blog for Keats. In any case, he came up again today: http://www.bat-girl.com/archives/001852.php
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Malia » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:25 pm

Credo Buffa wrote:So I was gone on a trip to Scotland (woot!) for awhile and didn't say anything about it. Anyway, I'm back now. :P

I think I've posted before about the affinity of my favorite Twins baseball blog for Keats. In any case, he came up again today: http://www.bat-girl.com/archives/001852.php

I love it! Who says sports and poetry don't go hand in hand. . .er. . .hand in *glove* (in this case! :lol:)

Great to see you back on the forum again, Credo. Hope you had a fun vacation :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous