The random ramblings thread

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: The random ramblings thread

Postby dks » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:51 am

Credo Buffa wrote:Hi all. Just checking in and letting you all know I'm still alive. . . things in my life have been pretty mad the past few weeks in particular, so I haven't had a lot of time for foruming. Nice to see dks back amongst us! I hope things will settle down soon and I'll be able to spend more time with you all. :)

Thanks, Credo--happy to be back!!
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:51 pm

Oh yes I too would love to see pics of George/Georgiana's graves.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby AsphodelElysium » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:26 pm

Looking forward to the pics!

Hahaha, all my friends and I are on a tattoo kick. None of us have any, but we were thinking about going en masse to get inked. I also gave thought to a Keats related tat.
"Let me not wander in a barren dream,
But, when I am consumed in the fire,
Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire."
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Credo Buffa » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:10 pm

Saturn and I will just have to start our own "No Tattoos" club, then. :P
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby dks » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:34 am

Credo Buffa wrote:Saturn and I will just have to start our own "No Tattoos" club, then. :P

But, then none of us inked folks can join! :wink:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby AsphodelElysium » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:09 am

Not inked yet, maybe get inked...I don't know which club I'll join. :?: :D
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby BrokenLyre » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:51 am

I am trying to get pictures of my trip to see George Keats's grave site posted on this site. But the computer I am using is terribly slow. It's coming.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby BrokenLyre » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:51 am

Here it is... some at least...
I went to Louisville, Kentucky last week to the Cave Hill Cemetery where Colonel Sanders is buried....and also where George Keats is buried (who is infinitely more interesting to me).
I have a photo of George's monument here. (I think you can just click on the links below. Since I've never included links, I hope I did this correctly. If not please copy and paste it into your browser field).

George Keats's gravesite from the walkway, facing east.
http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy47 ... 0_6947.jpg

Here is the closeup of the top of the monument. The top contains a cross and the monument stands about 8 1/2 feet high.

http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy47 ... 0_6956.jpg

I must confess, it was quite an emotional site - hard to describe actually. I was standing there 168 years after he died and 130 years after he was interred in Cave Hill Cemetery. It struck me as wonderful that George first introduced John Keats' poetry to America. I am immensely grateful he did. I spent 30 minutes there....thinking about his life and time's cruel separation. I would have spent much more time had i not had a schedule to keep.

I have more pictures coming, but the upoad is slow so I will have to send the rest in separate posts.
Last edited by BrokenLyre on Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby BrokenLyre » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:12 am

Some more pictures of George Keats's grave site. Below is the link to his wife Georgiana Augusta Jeffrey (remarried). It's on the same headstone as George, but on the north side while George's name faces west. (So if you stand in front of the monument, George's name faces you and his wife is on the left side).

http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy47 ... 0_6955.jpg

On the front, facing west is a plaque that reads: "To the Keats Family"

http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy47 ... 0_6952.jpg

more to come... :)
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby AsphodelElysium » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:33 pm

Excellent pictures! Thank you so much for sharing! Louisville isn't too far from home. I may have to make a visit myself. :)
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby BrokenLyre » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:44 pm

Some more pics and information.....for those obsessive types like me :D

On the top of the George Keats monument, on the back side (opposite of George's name), facing East is his daughter, Isabel. She died unmarried at 18 years of age in 1843. Tragic. See below:

http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy47 ... 0_6954.jpg

On the top of the monument facing south (to the right side of George's name) is his other daughter, Georgiana Emily Gwathmey (married Alfred Gwathmey) who died in 1856, at about 32 years old.

http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy47 ... 0_6953.jpg

I had to leave something at the base of the monument and take a picture. So I placed Robert Gittings "The Odes of John Keats & Their Earliest Known Manuscripts in Facsimile" (1970). I also placed Aileen Ward's biography "John Keats" (1986) along with it. Since Gittings book contains George's handwritten copy of Grecian Urn, and Ward's book details John's life, I felt I could put the brothers close together symbolically. (And the titles were large print and easy to capture with a camera). See below:

http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy47 ... 0_6958.jpg

It was strangely beautiful there, and quiet. Reminded me of the opening lines of Hyperion - "...Far sunken from the healthy breath of morn.....where the dead leaf fell, there did it rest."
Just quiet.
Enjoy... more coming.
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Malia » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:05 am

Thanks for the great photos, BrokenLyre. What an experience. I've always felt a strange sort of energy when I walk through graveyards; it's as if the identities of every person buried there press some of their residual energy on me. I often come out feeling drained and have a headache. I don't necessarily feel *upset* though. Just "pressed on" by that residual energy.
It seems as if you sensed a certain energy at the Keats family grave site, yourself. Great gifts you left--especially the book containing a facsimile of the Grecian Urn ode as copied by George. I don't know if I'd ever be able to part with any of my Keats books in a graveyard, though. I could part with some violets or a bottle of claret, perhaps! :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby BrokenLyre » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:42 am

Last pics.... Immediately behind George Keats' grave site lies his daughter Emma. She is buried next to her husband Philip Speed. The Speed family is big in Louisville; lots of graves with the name. Emma and Philip with children on either side. See pic below.

http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy47 ... 0_6951.jpg

Interestingly, on the very back of George Keats' monument is a plaque for John Jeffrey - Geogiana's second husband:

http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy47 ... 0_6957.jpg

Sorry Malia if I didn't write clearly enough. What I tried to say is that I temporarily put the 2 books at the base of George's monument - just to take a picture. I still have the books. My mistake. Just typing too fast.

If any of you are ever in the area of Louisville, Kentucky, drop by the Cave Hill Cemetery. It's very easy to find; the guards were great help, and the grounds are beautiful.
If you drive into the cemetery and go to section "O" you will see the following:

http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy47 ... 0_6962.jpg
George's monument is in the middle.

Now if I can only get to the Spanish Steps...
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby dks » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:46 pm

Thanks so much, BL, for those gorgeous pics! What a treat to see those! I winced ever so slightly when I saw the tomb engraved with Keats's niece's name--Georgiana--after her mother--you know, Keats loved his sister-in-law, even deemed her "nymph of the downward smile." And the plaque with the words emblazoned across it: The Keats Family...perfect...thank you, again, BL...

You mentioned getting to the Spanish Steps--let me say, that was indeed a pilgrimage for me.
dks
Dante

Postby BrokenLyre » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:41 pm

I am glad to be on vacation here in Florida because it has given me a chance to spend time reading this forum. I read everything I can but often don't have the chance to respond due to job and time constraints (don't we all).

Yesterday I walked into a bookstore in Sarasota and found John Middleton Murray's Keats (4th edition - 1955). What a delightful book. I love old book stores especially - but when I find a Keats book I do not have, it's like finding treasure! Especially so when the same book on eBay is 3-4 times the cost.

A snippet from the book:
"There is the stuff of legend in Keats's life and work. There is something extraordinary about it. The more it is studied, the more marvellous it is. But it is the legend of reality. It is as though we were privileged to behold the mystery of life with the veil momentarily withdrawn, or as though forces and powers...were concentrated here for a special revelation of the universal in the particular. Of no poetic genius is the particularity so fully displayed to us as of Keats. Distictness is the poet's luxury, he said. His life exemplifies it to a singular degree."

I like to hear how others think and feel about Keats. It's great to see Keats's life and work reflected through other people. That's why the forum is attractive. Thought you might like to hear JM Murray's point of view.
BrokenLyre
Endymion

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous