The random ramblings thread

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Malia » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:41 pm

Wow, Credo--you have wonderful "mini-obsessions"--I mean, your subject matter is high quality, Mozart and ballet. And here my obsessions are about old football heros! :lol: But, if I search my brain hard enough, I can come up with some intellectual binges--Keats being one that I get onto in a big way maybe twice a year (it is during those binges that my Keats library usually expands by 4 or 5 books). Generally, my binges are "lower-brow" and include tea (everything that has to do with tea and creating tea parties is pretty much a constant binge especially during the dreary winter months) and once in a while I binge on Dame Judi Dench's work in t.v. and movies, which is at least "medium-brow", right? ;) Although I have to admit, when I get hooked into a mini-obsession about a movie, it's usually medium to low-brow. . .and include movies like Tombstone (definitely low-brow) and A Beautiful Mind (pretty medium-brow).
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:51 pm

Malia wrote:Wow, Credo--you have wonderful "mini-obsessions"--I mean, your subject matter is high quality, Mozart and ballet. And here my obsessions are about old football heros! :lol: But, if I search my brain hard enough, I can come up with some intellectual binges--Keats being one that I get onto in a big way maybe twice a year (it is during those binges that my Keats library usually expands by 4 or 5 books). Generally, my binges are "lower-brow" and include tea (everything that has to do with tea and creating tea parties is pretty much a constant binge especially during the dreary winter months) and once in a while I binge on Dame Judi Dench's work in t.v. and movies, which is at least "medium-brow", right? ;) Although I have to admit, when I get hooked into a mini-obsession about a movie, it's usually medium to low-brow. . .and include movies like Tombstone (definitely low-brow) and A Beautiful Mind (pretty medium-brow).

Hey, there's nothing wrong with football and tea and movies! During the baseball season I'm all over my team (got another forum all lined up for that, even). In the past I've gone on such binges as: Eva Peron, early NASA space exploration, life and times of F. Scott Fitzgerald, 19th century photography, Bollywood music, tall ships. . . Basically if someone or something piques my interest, I'll go for it.
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby dks » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:37 pm

You ladies are both high brow and multi-faceted...I binge on Keats all the time--can you say obsessed? :oops:

I also binge on music--cds--and movies that are memorable to me--I won't even say what the last dvd was that I ordered... :oops:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:15 pm

I obsess over everything...

I have many random thoughts. ideas, habits, interests.

Just sampling something is not enough I have to know everything about it be it an author, a band, a movie, a TV series, whatever.

I'm either totally obsessed or not interested at all there is no in between.

I'm compulsively obsessive...
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:13 am

I wrote and recorded a song today.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:24 am

Are you going to share it with us?

I did nothing today, so that sounds quite accomplished to my lazy ears.
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:29 am

I would not dare to post it. I cannot sing period as you Americans say.

I have far too much time on my hands Credo believe me :oops: :oops: :oops:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:49 am

Want to research my dissertation for me? :P
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:53 am

What's it on? :lol:

Is there any money in the research assistant business? :wink:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:09 am

The contemporary classical Boehm-system flute and its place in traditional Irish music. Know anything about it? Cause I sure as hell can't find anything. Serves me right for choosing such a brilliantly original topic that I'm completely lost for sources.

And there's only as much money in the research assistant business as there is in the dissertation-writing business, unfortunately. :roll:
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Credo Buffa » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:07 am

dks wrote:Hello, my fantabulous forum-ite friends...just saw James McAvoy in "Last King of Scotland." If they don't cast him as Keats, I may just boycott the film. :wink:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO do I have a present for you!

Becoming Jane trailer!!! I kid you not, I just about died:

http://www.mymovies.net/player/player.asp?url=/film/fid4843/trailers/trid2662/wm/bb.asx&filmid=4843&sec=trailers

And another lovely picture of our favorite candidate for the role of Keats:

Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:01 am

He just looks the part completely there.

Let the petition begin :D

Surely no-one else can play him :?

Please let it not be some Hollywood pretty boy :roll:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:51 pm

I doubt they'll get a Hollywood-type to play Keats especially as I'm fairly certain--correct me if I'm wrong--that this will be more of an "independent"-type film (small, with a small audience and I think it's being made under a subsidiary of the Pathe entertainment group--not any huge American production company). I agree with your sentiment, though, Saturn. If they got someone like, say Brad Pitt or--heaven forbid Tom Cruise! :lol: --I think that would be a definite sign of the apocolypse.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:41 pm

Credo Buffa wrote:And another lovely picture of our favorite candidate for the role of Keats:

:shock: :shock:

I am trying to find someone to email about this--I don't care if it's a fan site--he must play Keats. There is no one else who can. Are we truly the only ones who realize the gravity of this situation!? :lol:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:42 pm

I've tried looking for a website for Jane Campion [the director of Bright Star] but she seems to have none.

Perhaps if we could find her e-mail address we could draw up a petition and e-mail it to her c/o us at john-keats.com.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous