The random ramblings thread

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: The random ramblings thread

Postby Malia » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:43 pm

Well, the first official steps have been taken for my trip to England and Scotland this Fall--my friends and I have booked our hotel in London and my passport came in the mail the other day :) Excitement is building. . .
The itinerary has been pretty-much set, as well. Four days in London (with the requisite pilgrimage to the newly refurbished Keats House--of course!), and then my friend and I rent a car for most of the rest of the journey North--through York, a *possible* stop at Haworth, into Durham to visit the University town I lived in for 8 months nearly 13 years ago (eek, how can time pass so quickly?!) and then up into the West of Scotland. We'll pay Burns a visit at his national historic park (it will be cool to read Keats's poems about him in the same locations that Keats was inspired to write them!) and tour around Ayrshire, then we'll head to Edinburgh--possibly to take a coach *back* West for a tour of Loch Ness.
Even in November, I expect 12 to 14 days of fun :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:52 pm

Oh sounds wonderful Malia, hope you all enjoy it *seethes with jealousy* :D
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby BrokenLyre » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:48 am

I am so happy for your Malia, to go to England and Scotland! And yes, a bit envious too I suppose. I really look forward to hearing from you about your trip - especially to Hampstead Heath and Keats House. I have imagined that trip many times (from the photos on the web) and I really hope to go someday. I even read (on the Keats House site) that they are looking for volunteers for "room guide", "conduct a guided tour", "assist in the care of our collection", "help with one of our evening talks." Now wouldn't that be awesome?! I would do all four. :D

So glad to hear your excitement in your post about going. Really great Malia :)
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Gazlynn » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:05 am

Hi Malia
Glad to hear that you are coming to Scotland and am sure you will have a great time. If you want to go up into the hills for a day I will gladly take you or if you want a tour of Stirling I will try my best.
Gazlynn

Postby Saturn » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:59 pm

I'm off to Brighton for a week, and will be internet-less so I apologize in advance for the no doubt torrent of spam in my absence.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby BrokenLyre » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:54 pm

We will ignore all spam and gladly await your return at the helm! Have a great time!
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Malia » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:49 pm

As Saturn's backup, I'll try and keep the spam at bay while he is gone :)
BTW, Does anyone know any good anti-spam spells? :lol:
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby AsphodelElysium » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:22 am

Point of fact, I do. But it involves fire, nudity, and ritual sacrifice, so it maybe more trouble than its worth. :wink:
"Let me not wander in a barren dream,
But, when I am consumed in the fire,
Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire."
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby dks » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:58 am

Saturn wrote:I'm off to Brighton for a week, and will be internet-less so I apologize in advance for the no doubt torrent of spam in my absence.

Have a great trip, Stephen...relax, eat, drink and be merry (or just drunk)... :wink:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby dks » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:48 am

Well, all, I have finally secured a full time job--I'm back to teaching senior English at a local high school in a small, near by town. I should get the phone call with the offer in another day or two...I will miss adjuncting, but I will not miss the excrutiating pay gaps, the lack of health benefits and working full time for part time wages...higher education is truly a an exclusive proving ground--one that is chock full of advanced and terminally degreed folks who glut the tenure track job market, yet I am happy I have been able to make the contacts I have made, since I can still take an evening or weekend class here and there at the college where I have taught and make great supplemental income. Good news is I will be back to teaching literature (Brit. Lit.) and that's my love--I get to teach Keats the second semester--all my own created lessons/activities and you know, I couldn't be more thrilled about that...if I have to bring Keats to little ol' Rosenberg, Texas--then by God, I will! So...I will be teaching high school by day and college classes by evening and weekend...in short, I'll be teaching my ass off... :shock: :lol:

Ah...to teach Keats and get paid for it...!
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Malia » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:28 am

A HUGE Congratulations, dks! I'm so glad you've found full-time work (with benefits!) and are still able to keep your connections to the college level. I work at a University--with and around a lot of faculty--and I've seen the politics and pressure associated with higher education. It is *so* tough to get to tenure. The pressure to publish and be on committees and just about everything that you do on top of teaching, itself. I'm glad that you'll be teaching Keats, too. Those kids in Rosenberg TX don't know how fortunate they are!! :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby BrokenLyre » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:20 pm

That is just wonderful news dks! And so glad you shared it with us! I so enjoyed hearing your enthusiasm and finally getting a job worthy of your skills, intelligence and education. In this market today, this is great to hear. And yes, having taught 8th graders for one year (a while back), it's just good to get some work - especially teaching Keats. If I ever make my way down to Rosenberg, Texas, maybe I could be your guest speaker! I agree with Malia that those kids are in for a treat!

Please know that it was my 12th grade English teacher who introduced me to John Keats by reading "Ode to a Nightingale" in class one spring day. Up to this time I hated English - what a bore. (I loved physics and math....I know I know...) I also thought "poetry" was just emotional drivel laced with feminine sentimentality. But then Mrs. Geer, started to read Nightingale....and I was stunned, shocked, and awoke from my poetic slumber. Changed my life in some ways.

There is hope for these kids - you'll do a spectacular job!
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby dks » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:49 am

...aw, thanks, guys...! I need all the encouragement I can get--as of today I have my schedule: five High School English IV classes (one section being Honors) along with one 9th grade repeater class; then it's off to the college campuses for a 5:30 pm Composition II class (Mon and Wed), a 7pm Composition II class (Mon and Wed), and a 1pm upper-division British Literature class on Saturdays.

:shock:
dks
Dante

Postby Malia » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:57 am

Whoa! And I thought I was busy. How in the world do you do it, dks? With a family to boot! I bow to the master. :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:28 am

Malia wrote:Whoa! And I thought I was busy. How in the world do you do it, dks? With a family to boot! I bow to the master. :)

..oh, no, Miss Malia.. :oops: Surely you don't think I also don't do a good bit of complaining!? These shall help me retain my sanity--a bit of whine and wine... :wink:
dks
Dante

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous