The random ramblings thread

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: The random ramblings thread

Postby BrokenLyre » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 pm

I agree with Saturn. You can check anywhere on the Web for Keats Poems and you will find them. Type in "Keats Poems Analyzed" into your web browser and you will find a list that you click on. Or click on this link:
http://www.webenglishteacher.com/keats.html

It is a good site to start reading analyses of Keats' work. This should keep you busy.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Saturn » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:10 pm

Bloody spammers :evil: I'll bite their legs off, we're under attack, batten down the hatches, splice the mainbrace etc. it's gonna get bumpy :evil:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:59 pm

Saturn, is there a way we can get an application to check if people are human before they can register onto the forum? I know they have something like that at fanfiction.net --you have to type in words before they will let you login. That could cut our spam problem down. Don't know how we'd set something like that up, though. Did Thilo give you any power to update the forum security or does he have to do it, himself?
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:47 am

There is a method by which I used to be able to screen users before registration, but the site's database isn't working properly, the administration options are corrupted or something, but something has to be done because I'm literally removing dozens of spambots every day and countless posts :evil: I have no idea how to update teh software or the database or anything, I'm not that technically capable unfortunately.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:56 pm

Yes, I know what you mean. I just deleted at least 40 posts from spammers who want us to play Keno!
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby BrokenLyre » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:58 pm

Thanks for trying Saturn. We all appreciate it.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Saturn » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:16 pm

Thanks Brokenlyre and Malia too, we're fighting a losing battle at the moment. A tide has turned into a flood into a deluge :x
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Aquarius » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:56 pm

I find it weird how a lot of the spam is in Russian (or text that looks like it anyways).
It appears to me that almost any man may like the spider spin from his own inwards his own airy citadel.
Aquarius

Postby BrokenLyre » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:48 pm

Hey, just thought I'd share a wonderful quote about John Keats from Benjamin Robert Haydon.

After Keats had died, Haydon wrote:

"Keats was a spirit that in passing over the earth came within its attraction and expired in fruitless struggles to make its dull inhabitants comprehend the beauty of his soarings."

Remarkable.
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Malia » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:13 pm

Remarkable indeed! I've never seen that one. Thanks for sharing. It does have such a bitter-sweet tone to it, though, doesn't it? That his spirit was seen to "expire in fruitless struggles" --If only Haydon could take a peek into the future to find that his statement is thankfully untrue today! :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Aquarius » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:53 am

Thank you for that quote, Brokenlyre. Truly heartbreaking.
It appears to me that almost any man may like the spider spin from his own inwards his own airy citadel.
Aquarius

Postby Saturn » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:39 pm

Sorry about the spam infiltration this week everyone, I've been away and without internet for a week.

Normal service has resumed.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:47 pm

Saturn wrote:Sorry about the spam infiltration this week everyone, I've been away and without internet for a week.

Normal service has resumed.

I really hate spammmers- they are such losers- they must have nowt better to do. Geeks I bet. Thanks for ridding us of them.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby dks » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:43 pm

Hello, all. Now that I'm officially on holiday break and school is out, I can post a bit more and say hello!

I received the Bright Star! soundtrack for my birthday and let me say--it's perfect. All of the tracks are hauntingly beautiful, yet simply arranged and they each feature either Cornish or Whishaw reading either a poem or a bit of correspondence. Also, the scene where he is explaining poetry via a metaphor involving a lake is all captured alongside the humming piano piece that trails through the film--it is a piece that almost feels as though the notes are in literal suspension--in mid air...superb.
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby mevans » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:37 am

I received the Bright Star! soundtrack for my birthday and let me say--it's perfect. All of the tracks are hauntingly beautiful, yet simply arranged and they each feature either Cornish or Whishaw reading either a poem or a bit of correspondence.

I have been dropping artful hints that I'd love this soundtrack for Christmas. Lets see if I get my wish. I've been listening to snippets of it on youtube (just go to youtube.com and type in Bright Star soundtrack).

By the way, Happy Birthday :mrgreen:
"And if thou wilt, remember,/And if thou wilt, forget." - Christina Rossetti
mevans

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous