The random ramblings thread

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: The random ramblings thread

Postby Raphael » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:35 pm

dks wrote:Hello, all. Now that I'm officially on holiday break and school is out, I can post a bit more and say hello!

I received the Bright Star! soundtrack for my birthday and let me say--it's perfect. All of the tracks are hauntingly beautiful, yet simply arranged and they each feature either Cornish or Whishaw reading either a poem or a bit of correspondence. Also, the scene where he is explaining poetry via a metaphor involving a lake is all captured alongside the humming piano piece that trails through the film--it is a piece that almost feels as though the notes are in literal suspension--in mid air...superb.

Thanks for the little review! I ordered it yesterday!
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Credo Buffa » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:12 pm

New Year's Resolution: get back on the Keats forum!

Hi all. Leave it to me to disappear right in the middle of all the Bright Star excitement! I'm looking forward to the DVD release coming up in a few weeks, though, and will hopefully be able to refresh my memory and dive back in with my review. Until then, I'll try to percolate back into life here, get to know the new folks, and become a contributing member here yet again. :)

A little update on what's been going on while I've been away. Still dealing with the original health issues that kept me away most of last year, but right now trying to recover from letting them take over my life as they so have while plugging away at finding a cause and effective long-term treatment. I've just passed the four month mark with my current boyfriend, which, as the independent people we are, is a new record for both of us. Also, I'm looking forward to getting away from my roommate of two years and moving into my own place in March. "Studio apartment" sounds very glamorous and artsy now, but right now I'm admittedly equating it more with "college dorm" than anything! It's a big step--paying more and having less--but I can't wait to be living a truly independent life for the first time in my nearly 27 years.

2009 was a tough year, but I'm looking to 2010 to be better. . . starting with the Keats forum! Can't wait to hear from you all more.
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby BrokenLyre » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:13 pm

CB - it's so nice to hear from you again! Having dealt with difficult health issues myself (just missed cancer twice), I can really sympathize with you. I do hope you have a much better year and I certainly wish you my blessings as you move on to your next phase.
I look forward to reading your posts. :)
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Raphael » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:24 pm

I wish you both Good Health and Happiness in your steps.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:15 am

I really should be sleeping right now.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:18 pm

This is not necessarily a "random rambling," considering our dear poet and his family was intimately touched by this disease, but I discovered that today is World TB Day. Today is a day of awareness for the awful illness that has been around for thousands of years and, sadly, is still mercilessly killing thousands today. I found an interesting article about TB in Africa that I thought I'd link here in case anyone wants to learn more:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36015171/ns/health-aids/
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:51 pm

How awful- having two diseases at once and having to walk miles for treatment. I think the WHO should be doing more to eradicate TB- after all one can be innoculated against it- I was.

I saw my mother today and she started talking about poor John and his TB- I think it was because where we were standing- over the road to some gardens that used to be where those who had passed from the disease were buried.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:48 pm

I would like to extend a big thank you to the founder, and my co-administrator, Thilo for updating the forum software, which hopefully *crossing fingers* will help combat the chronic spam problem better.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:54 pm

Saturn wrote:I would like to extend a big thank you to the founder, and my co-administrator, Thilo for updating the forum software, which hopefully *crossing fingers* will help combat the chronic spam problem better.

Good news Saturn!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby harvest » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:34 am

nice! i noticed some ahem...questionable spam yesterday...lol ~
Now a soft kiss - Aye, by that kiss, I vow an endless bliss. ~ j. keats
harvest

Postby Cybele » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:06 pm

Saturn wrote:I would like to extend a big thank you to the founder, and my co-administrator, Thilo for updating the forum software, which hopefully *crossing fingers* will help combat the chronic spam problem better.

I don't know if this is the appropriate spot, but *thank you* , Saturn, as well as our other forum administrator, Malia, for doing what you do. And a *big thank you* to Thilo for generously making this forum available!
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:59 pm

Cybele wrote:

I don't know if this is the appropriate spot, but *thank you* , Saturn, as well as our other forum administrator, Malia, for doing what you do. And a *big thank you* to Thilo for generously making this forum available!

I second that!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:02 pm

Thanks guys, after a year or two of an almost constant deluge of spam, now I only have to delete one or two a day. Such a relief I can tell you :D
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:54 pm

Saturn wrote:Thanks guys, after a year or two of an almost constant deluge of spam, now I only have to delete one or two a day. Such a relief I can tell you :D

Yes- it's a relief not to see it as well! :D

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Malia » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:54 pm

I don't know if it is because we're in the middle of summer, I have no air conditioning at home, and the temps are in the mid-90's and I'm desperate for some sense of coolness, but the other day I found myself searching around the internet for one of my favorite Christmas songs. Now, it might be because I was an English major weaned on tragedy, irony and deep deep drama :lol: but my favorite Christmas songs tend to be the poignant, reflective and slightly "angsty" tunes.

Back in college I was in the choir and we sang what I consider one of the *best* choral Christmas songs ever--"Blow Blow Thou Winter Wind" with lyrics taken from a poem by Shakespeare. I've found an excellent recording of this tune on youtube, which I've posted below. Also, here are the most amazing lines of the poem--I just love how Shakespeare employs the image of the harsh, cold, winter weather and instead of dismissing or diminishing it by comparing it with simple human joy and giving, he turns the thought into a bitter irony. Ah, the Bard! Gotta love him. :)
Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lSVZga62Cw

Here are the lyrics:
Blow, blow, thou winter wind,
Thou art not so unkind
As man's ingratitude;
Thy tooth is not so keen
Because thou art not seen,
Although thy breath be rude.
Heigh-ho! sing heigh-ho! unto the green holly:
Most friendship is feigning, most loving mere folly:
Then, heigh-ho! the holly!
This life is most jolly.