The random ramblings thread

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: The random ramblings thread

Postby Raphael » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:11 pm

Come here then - it is 68f- and at night I have thick socks on in bed and a hot water bottle.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Malia » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:59 pm

Ah, I can't wait for fall to come again so it will be in the 50's or 60's here. Those are currently our nighttime lows, rather than daytime highs. But, really, I can't complain too much. At least I don't live in the South or the East Coast with all that humidity. If it's 90 degrees during the day, it is 85 at night and stifling. We have a very dry heat out here and when the sun goes down it cools considerably.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:09 pm

I was brought up with Celsius, those Fahrenheit numbers are all Greek to me. You wanna try living in the North of Ireland people, where a good summer is a not very balmy 20C when it's not raining. :lol:

It's practically Autumn here already, which is my favourite season anyway :D
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Jupiter » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:06 pm

^ OK, I'm packing my bags and off to Northern Ireland I go! :D
Jupiter

Postby Malia » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:51 pm

Saturn wrote:I was brought up with Celsius, those Fahrenheit numbers are all Greek to me. You wanna try living in the North of Ireland people, where a good summer is a not very balmy 20C when it's not raining. :lol:

I feel the same about Celsius as you do about Fahrenheit, Saturn. I see 20 degrees and I think, "Man that's freezing!" then I think: oh wait. . .that's 70-something, right? All I know is that when you hit the 30's C, you're getting near to 100F.

I'm with you, though. Autumn (what we Americans call "fall" ;) ) is my absolute favorite season. It's best out here in the middle of October. Ah. . . I can't wait!
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:20 pm

You wanna try living in the North of Ireland people, where a good summer is a not very balmy 20C when it's not raining. :lol:

It's pretty much the same here Saturn- I'm North too. We did have some warm weather in June though.Not that I saw much of it being confined to the house.

Could that be due a certain poet who wrote the best poem about Autumn ever? It being his fave season too... :wink:

I feel the same about Celsius as you do about Fahrenheit, Saturn. I see 20 degrees and I think, "Man that's freezing!" then I think: oh wait. . .that's 70-something, right? All I know is that when you hit the 30's C, you're getting near to 100F.

I'm with you on Fahrenheit too Malia- I grew up with it and it just sounds right. 20 c does not sound hot. I have a thermometer on the wall and always look at Fahrenheit for the temperature. Do people still use Fahrenheit in the USA?

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:22 pm

I thought they used nothing but Fahrenheit in the U.S.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:34 pm

It's only in the last few years they stopped using Fahrenheit alongside Centigrade in the weather reports here. I wonder if it will get warmer again before September? I'm chilly here on the PC. I'll be getting in bed soon with some books and the trusty hot water bottle!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby dks » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:17 am

Malia wrote:Ah, I can't wait for fall to come again so it will be in the 50's or 60's here. Those are currently our nighttime lows, rather than daytime highs. But, really, I can't complain too much. At least I don't live in the South or the East Coast with all that humidity. If it's 90 degrees during the day, it is 85 at night and stifling. We have a very dry heat out here and when the sun goes down it cools considerably.

You mean like here, my friend?? :lol: We have a projected 110 degree heat index (about 101 F)--that is the forecast for my neck of the woods for tomorrow, folks-no word of a lie...
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby chris » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:35 am

it is winter down here, but it is starting to warm up. we get mild winters and bloody hot summers.

talking about summer, i've been binging on the the orginal summertime band, the beach boys, brian wilson's 'smile' in particular. i've been listening to all the bootlegs and have been trying to nail down a definitive version of this mythic album. the 2004 release is great, but i love some of the demos the bb's recorded back in the 60s. i can't get enough of 'surf's up', especially the lines " i heard the word/wonderful thing/ a children song..." so bittersweet. lovely. i've also dug up my simon and garfunkel albums and given them a listen. art garfunkel's voice comes straight from heaven. 'for emily, whenever i may find her' is on heavy rotation.
"ive been on the shelf too long" ('A Northern Soul' by the Verve)
chris

Postby Malia » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:35 pm

Chris, I am also a big Simon and Garfunkel fan. I discovered them back when I was 10 years old after a search through some of my Aunt's old record albums. The minute the needle hit the groove on The Sound of Silence, I was hooked :) Art's voice is angelic. Do you have their Live Album from 1969 (just released for the first time in the last year or two?). In it, Art sings Bridge Over Troubled Water, telling the audience that it is a "new song"--no one in the audience had yet heard it! After he finishes, the crowd just goes *wild*; it was an instant hit and for good reason. He is *fabulous* on that track. Probably his best performance of that song. And yes, "For Emily" is so completely haunting--like a dream of love . . . ah, now you've got me seeking out my S&G collection!

On a kind of side note, have you seen the Flight of the Conchords' Simon and Garfunkel parody? It is beyond hilarious!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I4IvBUo8b8
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby chris » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:45 pm

no, i don't have that live album. sounds great, i will have to track it down. their live performances are unbeatable. they don't make singers like that anymore. i would kill to have a voice like art garfunkel. he even has an angelic look. the purity of his voice is astounding. paul simon is no slouch either. yeah, i've seen that flight of the conchords ep. hilarious. been a conchords fan for ages, back when they used to do comedy gigs in australia 7-8 years ago.

when it comes to music i'm pretty much a 60s pop freak. my earliest musical memory is listening to the beatles' 'eight days a week' on casette. if it's 60s, chances are i will love it. the british invasion groups, motown, phil spector-produced girl bands, the california scene. love it all. i'm a sucker for harmony singing. most of my friends like darker, moodier stuff, but i find myself drawn to paisley pop groups and melancholy balladeers.
"ive been on the shelf too long" ('A Northern Soul' by the Verve)
chris

Postby Raphael » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:14 pm

I've got my first cold and sore throat for 2 years. I'm the master of non sequiters... :lol:

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby gstormcrow » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:04 am

I thankfully just happened upon this website today while researching Kaets and his "Negative Capability" writing style. Needless to say by my many posts, I am thoroughly enthralled. I wanted to post a sincere "thank you" to you all for this wonderful website and all of your contributions to it. I've been on here for quite a while (an absolutely pleasurable way to spend a day-off, I must say) and hope I haven't scared or offended anybody by my deluge of posts.

Also, I couldn't agree with Chris more - I might kill to get Art Garfunkel's voice.(his song 'April' is one of my favourites and the lyrics are very Keats-ish)
I'm in love with Osama's Aunt Sally
gstormcrow

Postby Saturn » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:35 pm

Not at all gstormcrow, you are very welcome to the forum and to post as much as you like; it's always good to have new enthusiastic members of this little community.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous