The random ramblings thread

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: The random ramblings thread

Postby BrokenLyre » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:48 am

I bought the bronze life mask from eBay about 8 years ago. It was $85 from a US company...Can't remember the name now...
Just so you know I have Keats' bronze head standing at 6 feet 1 inch from the floor in my dining room. That's because I wanted him taller than Shelley (who supposedly was 6 feet). :)
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Saturn » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:25 am

Must be the only time Keats has towered over Shelley. :mrgreen:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:34 pm

Height means nothing...he was a greater poet than Shelley. :wink: And an even greater person.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:37 am

Was only gently ribbing Raphael, no need to be so defensive; nobody's mocking Keats here.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:32 pm

I know- but jokes about his height he never found funny. :wink:
I have never found someone's height of any consequence on their character, attractiveness or abilities- shame people make so much of it. Sophie Dahl married Jamie Cullum, who is 5 inches "shorter" than her- good for them! Men do not need to tower over women! :D

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:20 pm

I can't believe it's over 7 years since I first posted on this site. :shock: Where have the years gone?
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby marwood » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:25 am

I know, time just seems to slip away, and the older you get the faster it seems to slip by!
Take care.
Marwood.
That I might drink, and leave the world unseen.
marwood
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Fragment » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:02 pm

I have developed allergies this year. Boooo. Why couldn't I have gone longer without these accurs-ed nasal issues? Besides that, its become a beautiful spring, I think I shall go out to the state park and have a picnic or take a dip in the water or write some new poetry!
Fragment

Postby Dolores » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:54 am

Hope you're all enjoying the weather! It's so warm where I am - reading my Keats anthology spread out on a quilt in the garden in the beaming sun - perfect!!
Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss'd, and fair the form I floated with about that melancholy storm
Dolores

Postby Saturn » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:22 pm

Random thought: Life is all about the small victories...nobody wins the war; nobody is getting out of here alive; you need to concentrate on the little battles, the skirmishes and the scrapes you just make through. The scars will be wounds of pride in time to come. Survival is what it's all about.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:45 pm

I'm saddened today by the announced closure of the local University bookshop; it's been open for 53 years and is the only true proper bookshop left in this town and I've been buying books there for over 13 years, many of favourite books and academic texts came from there and I don't know [sans amazon which I can't access] where I'm going to get my books from in future :( What with only one lone second-hand bookshop left and the expected demise of Waterstones, where, apart from online does one buy books from in future? :?
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:49 pm

That's sad Saturn... :( Sorry to hear that.
I'm lucky to have a few bookshops here- including a great second hand one where I have bought a Victorian edition of our poet's work, an original Mrs Beeton's cookery book for 10p, Beethoven LPs for 10p each amongst other things.
What's your second hand book shop like?

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:02 am

It's quite good actually, very ramshackle in the best tradition of those places and books piled everywhere, plus the owner always is very kind and courteous and often takes a bit less money than he should from frequent customers like myself. Places like that are sadly almost extinct in these online everything days.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:57 pm

Sounds exactly like the second hand book shop I go to here. These places are like gold dust today.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby BrokenLyre » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:49 am

Well friends,
I did it.
I got to Harvard University Library this past week. I went through the typical administrative steps to see the Houghton Library. Wow! What a place.
I will be posting what I saw firsthand from their John Keats collection. Unbelievable.

I will gather my information and post it soon. It''s the 4th of July weekend here in the states and I am a bit busy. See you all in a few days.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous