A Haunting?

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

A Haunting?

Postby Malia » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:05 pm

Last night, just after I finished reading a section or two of Aileen Ward's Keats bio and turned out the light, I was nearly asleep when I heard a tremendous crash. I flipped on the light and found that a framed poster of Keats that I'd gotten when I visited Keats House had somehow fallen to the floor. The frame had cracked and shards of it had been thrown across the room. The poster remained unharmed but, considering I was alone and it was a quiet night. . .I began to wonder--what or *who* caused my Keats poster to fall? I turned out the light and tried to get back to sleep, but my imagination had already gone into hyperdrive; I imagined I saw a figure standing at the foot of my bed--staring at me with a sad, mournful, pale face. I thought I smelled burning hair and I was sure the temperature in the room had dropped about 10 degrees. As I pulled my covers to my chin and glanced anxiously back and forth in the darkness wondering how in the world I would respond to the ghost of Keats, should he visit me, reality pulled me back by the scruff of the neck. I said to myself, "now, really, of all the people in the world and of all the eras in history Keats could haunt, do you really think he'd hang around at the foot of your bed?" Well, that got me laughing and, thankfully, off to sleep in no time.
Still, I wonder. . .what was it--or *who* was it--that caused my Keats picture to fall last night?

Anyone else experienced a "haunting" lately? ;)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:36 pm

:shock: :shock:

Intriguing, indeed, Miss Malia! Hmmmm...I will be thinking of this now all day and try to research something that might reconcile and explain your experience...

Wow. :shock:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby dks » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:31 pm

Malia--this has so intrigued me...I have just told my classes about it :!: They were at the edge of their seats...they are enjoying Coleridge's "Rime of the Ancient Mariner," but this was a nice diversion and not entirely off topic, as our Mariner is a ghostly creature and all of his supernatural experiences certainly fit right in with the imparted anecdote. :wink:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:04 am

I recently acquired an excellent recording of Coleridge's Mariner Denise - I'm sure your class would be enthralled by it.

It is read by none other than Ian Mc Kellan AKA Gandalf and it is magisterial indeed - I know if I was a kid and wary about poetry this would be just the thing to enthral and excite me about such a great poem.

I could e-mail you the mp3s if you would like that or upload the files for download or something for you.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:13 pm

Email the MP3 file, Saturn...that would be awesome! Thank you so much. :!:
dks
Dante

Postby greymouse » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:28 pm

:shock: Malia, that's one of the coolest stories I've heard in a while. Keep us posted.

Seriously though, this doesn't sound new for you. I remember when you mentioned feeling your hand was taken when reading Keats' letters. For some reason ... maybe you've been selected for a good old fashioned haunting and I'm glad it's you not me. In the meantime, too bad about the frame!

I've had something like a recurring haunting before from 9-6 years ago, and it was extremely strange but difficult to describe. It didn't involve Keats; it involved Maurice Ravel the French composer. :o
greymouse

Postby Saturn » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:31 pm

Are you saying Malia is being haunted by Keats himself?

:shock:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Re: A Haunting?

Postby zebluepenguin » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:34 am

Looks like it.
" Heard melodies are sweet. But those unheard are sweeter." -Keats
zebluepenguin

Re: A Haunting?

Postby Raphael » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:31 pm

Well if she was lucky her!
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to Miscellaneous