Music recommendations

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Saturn » Thu May 24, 2007 2:55 pm

That sounds familiar.

Could be this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Times-They-Were ... 817&sr=1-1

I agree about his voice though - not great, but his lyrics and music are excellent.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Thu May 24, 2007 5:04 pm

Oh, mahalo! I wonder if that's available in America. . .
Time to log on to Amazon! ;)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Heaven/Hell » Sat May 26, 2007 2:06 pm

My favourite cover of a Bob Dylan song is Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall by Jason Mraz. Or maybe All Along The Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix.
"Language has not the power that Love indites: The Soul lies buried in the ink that writes" ~ John Clare
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Saturn » Sat May 26, 2007 2:42 pm

The Byrds Mr Tambourine Man is also an excellent cover :P
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:55 pm

I admit it. I have a problem. I need a support group. An "Amazon.com addiction support group"--anyone want to join? I'll provide the virtual cookies and kool-aid. ;) Anyway, the other day I heard a fantastic radio documentary about one of my all-time favorite singers, Ella Fitzgerald. Of course they played several tracks of her singing and I was simply mezmorized. I have one CD of hers--a "greatest hits"--but today, I felt the need to purchase one more; this time, a CD of ballads as she *really* knows how to work a ballad. This is the one I chose, first recorded in 1957. If you are interested in listening to anything by Ella, I highly recommend purchasing CD's with songs recorded in the 50's--the 1950's was her best decade, in my opinion. Anyway, here's a great eeeeasy Ella CD entitled "Like Someone in Love":

I also found another great collection of John Coltrane's ballads. I'm not into his avant-guarde "be-bop" stuff at all, but his ballads are so smooth and inviting. . .perfect stuff to ease tension while you write or just lounge back with a good drink ;)

Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:41 pm

I think this thread could use a shake up.

From now on you can tell us what music you are listening to, and why or what you think of of it.

This week I'm listening to...

Ten years gone I can't believe it, so tragic. Listen to his version of Satisfied Mind on this album and you'll know why he is so revered - the voice of an angel, and a demon, a poet, a man of prodigious talent and a lot of love.

Probably virtually unknown in the US the Manic Street Preachers are one of the best and most important British Rock bands of the last 15 years. Their lyrics are intelligent and poetic, sometimes very political, always interesting and thoughtful.

Their biggest single A Design For Life had the opening line of "Libraries gave us power" - how cool is that?

This, their 8th album is terrific stuff.

You can't go wrong with Beethoven - stunning recordings [though some are edited] - much overlooked film too, not historically accurate but very powerful and deeply, deeply moving - a whole box of Kleenex is needed.
Gary Oldman should have won an Oscar for it.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:33 am

Immortal Beloved is a great movie and the score was excellently chosen for the film. Whenever I try to explain to someone what Romantic thought (as in Romantic era literature) or Transcendental thought can be likened to, I use the example from the movie of Beethoven's memories as the "Ode to Joy" plays--especially as he sneaks out of town and runs through the forest until he reaches the pond and then takes off all his clothes and lies on his back in the water as it reflects a sea of stars--he becomes one with the Universe. It really says "Romantic Era" all over it.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:17 am

Oh! What a great movie!! Immortal Beloved--so sad and poignant...Gary Oldman is utterly perfect in that role...

Lately I've been listening to Sade...I don't have a pic of her greatest hits album...
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Malia » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:47 am

dks wrote:Oh! What a great movie!! Immortal Beloved--so sad and poignant...Gary Oldman is utterly perfect in that role...

Lately I've been listening to Sade...I don't have a pic of her greatest hits album...

Sade is great, too. There's a weird but true story about a guy who received a heart transplant. After the transplant, he found himself having strange "memories" and connections with things he never liked--or had even heard of--before his transplant. In one instance, he was driving down the road listening to the radio and a Sade song came on. Now, he didn't even know her work and, although he'd heard her stuff once or twice before, he wasn't "into" her at all. But all of a sudden, this time he felt a rush of emotion and just started to cry! She suddenly became one of his favorite singers. He was puzzled about how this could be until he learned that the gentleman whose heart he received had been absolutely in love with Sade's muic when he was alive. It seems that his heart carried "physical memories" which were triggered when the recipient listened to Sade. Wild, eh?

OK, enough of my random trivia--time to head back to my paper. . .
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby AsphodelElysium » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:11 am

It doesn't seem all that strange, really. Hasn't there been new breakthroughs in "cellular memory" research? Marilou Awiakta brought it up quite a bit in a reading I attended of hers a few weeks ago. Interesting stuff.
"Let me not wander in a barren dream,
But, when I am consumed in the fire,
Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire."
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby AsphodelElysium » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:22 am

I'm just about always listening to these guys on and off during any given week. Its a good taste of Appalachia (which really is distinct from The South not just in music but in other aspects as well) and bluegrass/folk in general. My favorite song from this album is "Wagon Wheel" which was co-written with Bob Dylan.

Old Crow has a pretty solid cult following but I wouldn't say they are nationally or internationally popular by any means.
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Malia » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:29 pm

I've totally heard of Old Crow :) I'm sure I've heard their music before, too, although I don't own any of their albums. My brother Matt is nutsy over bluegrass and has a considerable collection of artists--he goes to the big bluegrass festival in Colorado nearly every year. I think it's some great music, myself. I don't go for pop country music, but I like stuff that has a very definite folk base, such as bluegrass.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby AsphodelElysium » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:33 pm

Yay! Their popularity is spreading! I saw them at the University this spring. They really did tear it up. Great concert.
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Malia » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:09 pm

OK, I can just see you guys staring at me with the "deer in the headlights look" when I recommend the following album: Kind of Blue by legendary trumpeter Miles Davis. Yes, yes, it is jazz--but it is not *scary* jazz :lol: It doesn't require a PhD to appreciate this particular collection of songs. In fact, Kind of Blue is *the* album to buy if you are just starting a jazz collection. It was first recorded back in the late 50's and contains mostly cool and mellow tracks--nothing "be-boppy" or way out there. Anyway, I play it a lot when I'm writing papers or studying and I can certify that it helps get the creative juices flowing. Must be something to do with the left-right brain connection; jazz has a really "right-brain" component to it. Anway, it's an album I highly recommend.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:40 pm

You underestimate us Malia.

Miles Davis is one of those guys I've always been meaning to check out for years. He's very influential among a lot of Rock musicians I like.

I guess I'm kind of intimidated by Jazz :oops:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous