Music recommendations

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Malia » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:47 pm

Saturn wrote:You underestimate us Malia.

Miles Davis is one of those guys I've always been meaning to check out for years. He's very influential among a lot of Rock musicians I like.

I guess I'm kind of intimidated by Jazz :oops:

I am definitely intimidated by certain *types* of jazz. Not all jazz is the same, to be sure. It's a pretty big umbrella word, actually. I mean, some people consider Kenny G to be jazz (I shudder) but his music is way different than Thelonious Monk, for example. Davis is absolutely tops, in my book. I HIGHLY recommend Kind of Blue if you're looking to check him out. You will not be disappointed!
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:51 pm

I'm sure I'll get around to discovering Jazz at some point.

Probably in my 30s.

In my teens I discovered rock.

In my early twenties Classical.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:49 am

Anyone ever heard of Loreena McKennett?
A friend of mine gave me two of her CD's and I absolutely love them. I play them a lot when I'm studying. The music is a mix of Celtic and Eastern influences and she often sets poems to music, as well. One of her best is The Lady of Shallot. Anyway, I highly recommend her stuff and I've put a link to her website below in case you want to explore her further. Very romantic, mystical stuff that I think Keats himself would have enjoyed ;)
I think that her music is best listened to at the time of year when the last leaves are falling to the ground and the mist and fog rise up to cloak the world in mystery.

http://www.quinlanroad.com/homepage/index.asp?LangType=1033
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Re: Music recommendations

Postby Credo Buffa » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:10 pm

Okay, I discovered these two relatively new artists within just days of one another, and I can't stop raving about them:

Fleet Foxes is what would have happened if the Beach Boys had moved to a remote cabin in the woods, befriended an Appalachian banjo player, and listened to a lot of Renaissance homophony. You can check out their appearance on Letterman performing one of my favorite songs from the album here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gke4USY8EE

The Dodos is a duo of simply great Indie rock (and yes, that's actually what the album cover looks like). Again, a YouTube link to illustrate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhLRxui7vXU. It's kind of a weird video, but at least you get to hear the music!

I can't get enough of either of these two albums!
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Malia » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:29 pm

My brother Dan is really into Indie Rock (ever since he got his iPod!) and he's found some great bands. I'll have to check these out, Credo, because I am trying to expand my musical horizons. So far, (after my little dip into alternative stuff) I find I really like Belle and Sebastian. Do you have any others you'd recommend in addition to these?--Especially for someone just starting out?
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:48 pm

I beg you to check out a band called Elbow Malia.

Beautiful music, soaring vocals, wonderful poetic lyrics. You can't ask for much more.

A band to get obsessed about.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:10 pm

Oooo, I agree with Saturn! I don't have any of Elbow's albums yet, but they do get played on my radio station quite often and I enjoy what I've heard so far.

Other current recs include Bon Iver (Acoustic, folky, very intimate stuff to which to curl up with a cup of tea and a good book), Ingrid Michaelson (Her music was in an Old Navy sweater ad awhile back, so you may be vaguely familiar), Cloud Cult (Gotta support local music! "Eclectic" is a good word for this band, and they've got some very thoughtful lyrics), The Ditty Bops (A fun but thoroughly modern throwback to the Roaring 20s), and Death Cab for Cutie (Okay, they're far too much into the mainstream now to really be indie, but I still love them!).

Also, if you haven't seen the movie Once, go do that RIGHT NOW (!!!!). Then go get the soundtrack. Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova (who portray the two main characters in the movie) also perform as The Swell Season and have an album out which contains several of the songs from this soundtrack. It's pure bliss.
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:04 pm

Credo Buffa wrote:
Also, if you haven't seen the movie Once, go do that RIGHT NOW (!!!!). Then go get the soundtrack. Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova (who portray the two main characters in the movie) also perform as The Swell Season and have an album out which contains several of the songs from this soundtrack. It's pure bliss.

That soundtrack is indeed an absolute must listen.

I downloaded the soundtrack but I still haven't seen the film yet though, hope it's as beautiful as the music.

Another recommendation is a very obscure one, a band called Shearwater, the album is called Rooks

http://www.myspace.com/shearwater

Hauntingly beautiful.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Lolita.Spanky » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:36 am

Once was such a beautiful movie. Falling Slowly from the movie is the song I want a boy to sing to me. :oops:
Sigh. I'm such a hopeless romantic.

I tend to listen to a lot of "satanic" songs, or so says my mother. :lol: My guilty pleasure is country music xD. I can't explain it :lol:
I recommend MGMT. They are very indie if you're into that, you'll love them.
Must download songs from them:
Kids.
Electric Feel.
I said to my soul, be still , and wait without hope, for hope would be hope for the wrong thing.
Lolita.Spanky

Re:

Postby AsphodelElysium » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:11 am

Malia wrote:Anyone ever heard of Loreena McKennett?
A friend of mine gave me two of her CD's and I absolutely love them. I play them a lot when I'm studying. The music is a mix of Celtic and Eastern influences and she often sets poems to music, as well. One of her best is The Lady of Shallot. Anyway, I highly recommend her stuff and I've put a link to her website below in case you want to explore her further. Very romantic, mystical stuff that I think Keats himself would have enjoyed ;)
I think that her music is best listened to at the time of year when the last leaves are falling to the ground and the mist and fog rise up to cloak the world in mystery.

http://www.quinlanroad.com/homepage/index.asp?LangType=1033

Yes! One of my students introduced me to her music around the same time she introduced me to Nightwish and Kamelot (the latter two having almost nothing in common with the former). Great stuff.

Intertwined with my Nightwish/Kamelot/Rammstein music fixation of the past 4 or 5 months is E. S. Posthumus. I'd recommend any or all of these bands for your listening pleasure.
"Let me not wander in a barren dream,
But, when I am consumed in the fire,
Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire."
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Credo Buffa » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:14 pm

Aaaahhhh! How could I have left Andrew Bird off my list of music recs! Andrew Bird, Andrew Bird, Andrew Bird!

More YouTube links to whet your appetite:

Andrew Bird: The man is incredible, truly. And one of the most accomplished whistlers of all time, no joke. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLyQgBFl7mc&feature=user

Cloud Cult: My radio station has a collection of brilliant videos of live, in-studio performances, and this is one of them. I absolutely love the passion in Cloud Cult's music. This is one of my favorite songs right now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIdNdMM6xyk

Ingrid Michaelson: There isn't a studio recording of this song available yet, but I have high hopes that it will be on her upcoming EP, because I literally get chills every time I hear it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BJbGohOIRo

Bon Iver: Cozy, cozy music. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4E9412xyJ4

The Ditty Bops: Another one I can't find a recording of, but it's the one that first got me into this duo! Have I mentioned how awesome my radio station is? :wink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4-LnHr34Lk
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby adonais » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:23 am

I have a couple of Ditty Bops albums, they're going for a pretty unique style, and are able to produce some really amazing and beautiful songs by this, but they can't really keep it up throughout an entire album, so I felt that their albums come out a bit uneven. Still good though. Some of the most accessible tracks are (probably unsurprisingly) "Growing Upside Down" and "Breeze Black Knight."

I agree with Malia and Elysium on Loreena McKennitt; I discovered her after having listened a lot to Enya and Clannad, and she was like a quantum leap, especially the Mask and Mirrors and The Visit albums. The Lady of Shallot is probably the most beautiful rendering of a poem into music that I have ever heard. It broke my heart when she suffered the tragedy of her fiancee and friends that may have impaired her romantic and mystic feeling in music. I hope, perhaps in vain, that it was not lost forever, and that her future compositions can rediscover that mystery and magic that made her music so soul piercing.
adonais

Postby Gazlynn » Wed May 20, 2009 11:04 pm

The Maccabees new album
Wall of Arms

The Manic Street Preachers new album

(going to see them in glasgow on monday cant wait)
Gazlynn

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous