A new Domesday book

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

A new Domesday book

Postby Saturn » Thu May 03, 2007 10:36 am

E-mail 'Domesday Book' compiled
A "21st century Domesday Book" - a snapshot of the United Kingdom seen through e-mails - is being compiled by the British Library.

The library is asking everyone in the UK to forward an e-mail from their inbox or sent mail box representing their life or interests.

Alternatively, people can submit a specially-composed message.

Each eligible e-mail received in May will be recorded and used to create the library's E-Mail Britain archive.

The British Library has joined forces with computer giant Microsoft in its attempt to collect millions of e-mails.

John Tuck, British collections head at the library, said: "E-mail Britain will allow us to archive a vast snapshot of our present-day e-mail communications and will be of great value for future researchers.

"Digital archiving of e-mail has never been attempted before on this scale and we're very excited to be capturing such a rich slice of contemporary life."

The e-mail address for those who wish to take part is email@emailbritain.co.uk.

Interesting. I wonder what kind of information they would like?
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Thu May 03, 2007 2:52 pm

You think they'd mind an email from a Yankee infiltrator? ;) :lol:

Neat idea, though. One thing we have in America is something called "StoryCorps" which is set up by the library of congress. Basically, a group travels the country with recording equipment and regular folks can record a family story that will be archived for posterity. Pretty neat idea.

Now, you say this is a new "Domesday" book. . .have they done this before? And what in heck does "Domesday" mean? Is that the name of the guy coordinating everything?
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Thu May 03, 2007 5:47 pm

Yes, that is an intriguing idea--a 'snapshot of contemporary life'...it could be frightening to see what some people will submit... :shock:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Thu May 03, 2007 9:42 pm

Malia wrote:Now, you say this is a new "Domesday" book. . .have they done this before? And what in heck does "Domesday" mean? Is that the name of the guy coordinating everything?

Have you never heard of the Domesday book?

It's one of teh most famous historical records in Westen Europe.

It was compiled by the Normans after the invasion of England and the Battle of Hastings.

It was a highly detailed compendium of the whole kingdom, all the towns, cities, villages, all the inhabitants, all the produce, livestock and buildings.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Fri May 11, 2007 11:03 am

Every time I've ever seen the phrase "Domesday Book" I've immediately read it as "Doomsday Book" and thought "Oh seriously, they're predicting the end of the world again?!" :roll:

:P
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Fri May 11, 2007 1:01 pm

It has acquired that meaning today yes.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Return to Miscellaneous