The currently viewing thread...

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby AsphodelElysium » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:35 am

Forgive my contradiction, but Whitman could whine, snivel, and act put-upon with the best of them. Let's not make a saint where there wasn't one. But I do enjoy Whitman's poetry even if he was "garrulous to the end," as he put it and one of the most memorable things I've ever experienced was holding an 1855 edition of Leaves of Grass in my hot, little hands this spring.

But back on topic. The new show Moonlight detailing the life of vampire detective Mick St. John so far has been very well done.
"Let me not wander in a barren dream,
But, when I am consumed in the fire,
Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire."
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Heaven/Hell » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:22 pm

That's a complete contradiction to the guy I've read about from people that actually knew him, as opposed to his detractors who tried to smite his good name.
"Language has not the power that Love indites: The Soul lies buried in the ink that writes" ~ John Clare
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

Postby AsphodelElysium » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:03 am

If you'd like the name, number, and e-mail address of the Whitman scholar I learned from, who, by the way, loves Whitman enough to admit his faults, I'll be happy to provide you with that information. I try very hard not to make assertions based on opinions, whether those opinions come detractors or supporters. It is, however, a well documented fact that even after Whitman attained celebrity that he made pretences to anonimity. I love Whitman, but I love him warts and all.
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:54 am

Ooooh it's like a playground fight when you're a kid :lol:

Everyone form a circle and chant "Fight! Fight!" repeatedly until a teacher comes and breaks it up!
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Heaven/Hell » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:26 pm

Saturn wrote:Ooooh it's like a playground fight when you're a kid :lol:

Everyone form a circle and chant "Fight! Fight!" repeatedly until a teacher comes and breaks it up!

LOL, it's frivolous isn't it? It reminds me of the scene in So I Married An Axe-Murderer where his mate (Anthony LaPaglia) asks him (a sensitive poet type played by Mike Myers) why he broke up with yet another girlfriend;

"She smelled like beef vegetable soup."
"No, she didn't."
"Yes, she did. YOU WEREN'T THERE. SHE SMELLED EXACTLY LIKE BEEF VEGETABLE SOUP."
"Language has not the power that Love indites: The Soul lies buried in the ink that writes" ~ John Clare
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Saturn » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:24 pm

The best arguments are the pointless ones.

You wouldn't want to argue about something serious, now would you? People get hurt when that happens :lol:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Heaven/Hell » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:22 pm

AsphodelElysium wrote:If you'd like the name, number, and e-mail address of the Whitman scholar I learned from, who, by the way, loves Whitman enough to admit his faults, I'll be happy to provide you with that information.

This guy knew Whitman personally? And he's still alive? He must be 200 years old!! :wink:
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

Postby AsphodelElysium » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:42 am

If you don't agree with me that is okay, but please don't patronize. Its disrespectful and entirely unnecessary. I studied Whitman, in context, for a semester. I don't know everything about him, but I do know some, and as I said I try very hard not to make assertions without factual evidence.

No, Dr. Poland didn't know Whitman personally and I never said he did. He just spent the majority of his adult years and his Bachelor's, Master's, and Ph.D studies on Walt Whitman.

Here are links to two of the books we used in class that focused on the biography, as well as, the poetry of Whitman. Both are well worth reading.

http://www.amazon.com/Walt-Whitmans-Ame ... 852&sr=8-5

http://www.amazon.com/Love-Stories-betw ... 53&sr=1-11
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Heaven/Hell » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:17 pm

AsphodelElysium wrote:If you don't agree with me that is okay, but please don't patronize. Its disrespectful and entirely unnecessary. I studied Whitman, in context, for a semester. I don't know everything about him, but I do know some, and as I said I try very hard not to make assertions without factual evidence.

No, Dr. Poland didn't know Whitman personally and I never said he did. He just spent the majority of his adult years and his Bachelor's, Master's, and Ph.D studies on Walt Whitman.

Here are links to two of the books we used in class that focused on the biography, as well as, the poetry of Whitman. Both are well worth reading.

Sorry, I never intended to cause offence or patronise you, I was only joking. It was interred as a light-hearted remark. You have no need to prove anything to me, I know you are familiar with him and his works. Did I take offence at your rather patronising remark, "Let's not make a saint where there wasn't one"? This is a light-hearted discussion, not a heated debate or popularity contest to prove who's right and who's wrong.
Whitman was a complete mystery wrapped in an enigma even to those who knew him most, but those who had been graced with his presence felt as though they'd come into contact with someone/something special. From what I read of him, his character was noble, honest and genuine, and his friends who had known the man personally and spent hours in his presence never heard him complain about the trivial gripes his contemporaries did, for he saw the 'mystery' in all things.
Like Balzac or the Romantics, he appeared to be illuminated from within by a mystical secret force.
This 'secret' he owned in his soul, he knew not how to express it personally but in his poetry, due to his being profoundly enchanted by it, which may have led to people thinking he was being pretentious or hiding something; in a person of a disingenuous nature this would have been interpreted as being tantamount to dishonesty or crudity. Those who have not the poetic faculty or 'spirit' or those who tend not to see it in people who do, often misattribute it to some other quality or defect.
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Saturn » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:18 pm

People please :?

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:49 pm

You know what I like most about Whitman? He made a guest appearance on Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman. Whitman was pretty progressive guy. . .and he was so nice to Jane Seymour. ;)

OK, that was me just trying to lighten the air a bit--a *very* little bit, eh? :lol:
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:50 pm

Please do, it's getting very heated between these two :shock:

It's almost come to blows :!:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby AsphodelElysium » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:33 am

I saw that episode! It was really good. No, the only thing I meant by anything I said was that Whitman had human flaws that had nothing to do with his poetic genius. I guess its just personal preference and the way I learned about him, but I tend to make a distinction between the poet as person and poet as genius. I see where you're coming from and it's cool with me. :)
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:41 pm

Okay back on topic.

I'm currently obsessed with this little doozie:

I love a good bit of Sci-fi geekiness every once in a while and time-travel movies I've always been fascinated by.

Nothing beats Back To The Future though...
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:13 pm

Saturn, do you mean for us to be looking at a picture of a Lion talking about stealing bandwidth or was there suppposed to be another pic up. . .I'm kindo f confusled. :?
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous