Question about Old Keats book

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Question about Old Keats book

Postby ptmach » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:15 am

I found an old Keats books when I was going though my late parents belongings and I have a question.

The book is "The Poetical Works of John Keats" New York, John Wurtle Lovell, Publisher No. 24 Bond Street 1880

I have not been able to find any information on the internet about its worth. Would anyone know if it is valuable?

Thank you for you help

Patrick
ptmach

Re: Question about Old Keats book

Postby BrokenLyre » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:37 am

The book you mention was published in NY by John Wurtele Lovell. A book's value depends on a number of things - binding, publisher, overall condition, wear and tear, marks, foxing, age spots, whether it is an ex-library book, handwriting in pages, etc... From my research and my own copies of Keats books from the 1800s, if the condition is very good, with no markings, tight binding, etc... it might fetch between $50-80 US dollars. Lovell was a good publisher, good bindings. It depends upon the condition and market forces. Check ebay, Amazon, Abebooks among other sellers to compare prices. Hope this helps.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Return to Miscellaneous