The hyperion cantos

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

The hyperion cantos

Postby Toshimo » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:42 am

just wondering havent checked this site fully myself but i thought it might interest people to learn thet a science fiction set of novels by the acclaimed Dan simmons are heavily influenced by keats and he is actually one of the characters of the novels. it was these novels that initially led me to look up keats in my local library some years ago and now he is my own muse. i have writen a number of modest poems about keats and his works and i cant praise him enough. it was most fun reading about his exploits in the far distant future of the hyperion cantos. Check it out dudes :D
Toshimo

Postby Credo Buffa » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:10 pm

I read these a few years back, mainly because I read that Keats plays a role. . . granted, it's a pretty bizarre role ;) , but I like how the book makes the point that we are able to know so much about him through his letters that we really can have a pretty complete construction of the person he was.
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Re: The hyperion cantos

Postby Despondence » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:46 am

Toshimo wrote: a science fiction set of novels by the acclaimed Dan simmons are heavily influenced by keats and he is actually one of the characters of the novels.

Really? And who would that be? I always thought of Keats figuring in that fiction as everyone and none...the space between the stars, the glue between the atoms - the only real poet in there is the Silenus, and he's probably as far removed from Keats as you can get! :D
Despondence

True true

Postby Toshimo » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:46 pm

True enough ill grant you. Martin is great though arguably my favourite character even though he features less in the final two books :lol:
Toshimo

Postby Despondence » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:24 am

Oh yeah, definitely my favorite character. The satyre in me can really identify with this guy :D
Despondence

Swinburne

Postby Toshimo » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:20 am

Oddly enough he reminded me of The Pre Raphelite poet Swinburne who was just as outrageuos and flippant in his real life and cant help but think simmons got his inspiration from there but then again mabye not. :shock:
Toshimo

Sorry bout the waffle

Postby Toshimo » Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:59 am

Sorry that might have sounded like pretentious drivel but i just had a college lecture on swinburne that day and lacked anybody but yee to talk about it to since none of my friends are interested in poetry. His (swinburne) poetry is on the same vein as browning if those of you are interested in the more morbid and psycological side of our beloved poetry. ie: its not all about love. ok said my peace . The "lurker" returns to the shadow. :D
Toshimo

Return to Miscellaneous