Who are you? Introduce yourself

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Who are you? Introduce yourself

Postby Credo Buffa » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:44 pm

I just thought it would be nice to have a thread where we can all introduce ourselves and maybe learn a bit more about each other. The great thing about Keats is that his poetry attracts people from so many different backgrounds, so I bet we'll find that we have all different sorts of people on this forum! :)

I'll start:

My name is Stacey, and I'm a 22-year-old recent graduate of St. Olaf College in Minnesota with a BA in music theory/composition and English. For about the past six months, I've been living and working in St. Andrews, Scotland, though I'm returning this Friday back home to Wisconsin (I still call myself a Minnesotan, though, because I was born there, lived there, went to college there, worked there, and. . . well, it's basically just a fabulous state!). I'm hoping to get into the University of Limerick in Ireland next fall to pursue a Masters in Ethnomusicology.

Aside from being an obsessive fan of Keats, I love reading and writing in general. I have just about the most eclectic taste in music of anyone I know, and play both classical (flute and piano) and folk music, particularly Celtic (tin whistle and bodhran). I also love movies, photography, crochet, and all things Harry Potter ;)

Um. . . I guess that's about it! I look forward to reading more about the rest of you!

Edited and stickied :wink:
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Despondence » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:05 am

Funny you both mention music and playing instruments...they quite often seem to go hand in hand, music and poetry. The old greeks had it right with Apollo and the Muses :) I guess I think of myself as an amateur musician as well, albeit an entirely unschooled one. I tried my hand at poetry at one point, but found myself rather lacking. It seems I can hear poetry inside my head, but to me it comes in notes and harmonies rather than words and rhymes.

Who am I?
Ah, nobody really.
Despondence

Postby Credo Buffa » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:36 am

Despondence wrote:Who am I?
Ah, nobody really.

Aww, that's hardly fair to yourself. Everyone is somebody.
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Despondence » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:45 pm

Credo Buffa wrote:
Despondence wrote:Who am I?
Ah, nobody really.

Aww, that's hardly fair to yourself. Everyone is somebody.

I guess I'm shy :)
Despondence

Postby Credo Buffa » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:59 pm

Despondence wrote:I guess I'm shy :)

That's OK, I am too :)
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:21 pm

I'm a total nobody and extremely, nay excessively shy :oops: :oops:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Who Are You?

Postby Malia » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:13 pm

Hello Everyone :D
I'm Malia writing from Washington State. I have a feeling I'm probably the oldest member of the forum. I'm 31 and am very excited to have found such a great place to discuss Keats. I discovered Keats when I was 15. I found an old book of his poems and selected letters amidst some forgotten books in my parents' bookshelves. I'd thought that as I was 15 and had planned to someday go to college, I should start becoming "learned" and read poetry. I sifted through the books, not really impressed by anything, until I came across a small volume and I read his name-- "Keats"--and thought that it was a beautiful name and considering it started with my favorite letter of the alphabet, "K", I was determined to have a go at it. I'll admit, a *lot* of his poetry and prose went way over my head. I remember reading a letter he wrote to Fanny Brawne where he said he took her letter to bed with him and in the morning her name on the sealing wax was obliterated (which he took as a bad omen)--and thinking to myself at 15--her name was written on the ceiling in wax? What kind of pervert was this Keats?? hehe

As I struggled through his work and time went by, I became more and more able to appreciate the beauty and depth of his words. It was the ode To Autumn that first introduced me to the true *power* of poetry--after having read it several times without much sensation other than "that was pretty", one day, I read it again and as I read the final lines, it hit me like a lightening bolt--the power of his words tore right into my heart I held my breath--and I realized for the first time what poetry can really do to a person. Ever since then, Keats has held a very special place in my heart--he was the first to introduce me to the wonder and power of poetry.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Minerva » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:09 pm

Hi there everyone, just saw this site and thought I'd register. I have an upmost passion for poetry and when I was much younger I'd read the books shakspear, David Copperfield and Charles Dickens. I love history especially about Lord Byron. I am studying Science of the planets and of the universe, Alchemy and meteorology. I find that reading keats poetry and most poetry, makes me relax in this very harsh world that we are living in right now its just my perfect escape. Music such as Rock, Heavy Metal, Classical music is another favourite of mine.
On my other days I love travelling and going on sper of the moment
adventures :)
I love sport fencing, tennis and generally having a good time!
It isn't how much you do, it's how much you love...
Minerva

Postby Malia » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:27 pm

Hello Minerva :)
It's great to have you on the forum! I hope to see you around often. It looks like you're into a lot of cool things :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:33 pm

Welcome Minerva - we have very similar tastes - hope you'll stick around.

It's always great when somebody new joins.

Don't be intimidated - just jump on in there :D
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:25 am

Welcome, Minerva (great name :wink:)!
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Minerva » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:05 pm

Saturn wrote:Welcome Minerva - we have very similar tastes - hope you'll stick around.

It's always great when somebody new joins.

Don't be intimidated - just jump on in there :D

Hi there and thanks for all ya welcomes Yeah I have this new forum if you like Metal and rock music Saturn, your very welcome on here its very new and the staff are very nice because I am one of them LOL here is the addy:
http://pieceofourmind.proboards67.com/ and
If you check my profile I'm ghostblabla on this you will see my new website aswell.

I love lookin the john keats forum nice that there are some real nice intelligent people around still :)
It isn't how much you do, it's how much you love...
Minerva

Postby Chey89 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:38 pm

Hi everybody!! I've visited the site a couple of times and i found it really great so i've decided to join in. I'm 16 and come from Mauritius(an island in the Indian Ocean) :D I'm actually doing french, english(both with literature), sociology and spanish. I also like to make loads of new friends(esp from different countries), playing tennis, hanging on with my friends n going dancing :P
Chey89

Postby Fortuna » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:34 pm

Hi Chey :). Great to see you joining the forum! I hope you enjoy it here and stick around. You're doing lots of cool stuff–I studied French too all throughout high school and then got introduced to Sociology in university. Hope we can get to know each other better.
"Call’d him soft names in many a mused rhyme,
To take into the air my quiet breath"
Fortuna

Postby Credo Buffa » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:05 am

Chey89 wrote:I also like to make loads of new friends(esp from different countries)

Well, we're from all over the place around here! Welcome :D
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Next

Return to Miscellaneous