Who are you? Introduce yourself

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Lo and Behold!

Postby MonroeDoctrine » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:58 am

I'm an American from California; and I was born in 1984. I definetely don't have a degree or I'd be making silly blunders like categorizing Keats and Shelly with lame poets like Byron. I'm a political activist and intent on creating a classical humanist revolution in culture and economics in the USA and in the rest of the Globe.

PEACE TO THE REST OF MY FELLOW REVOLUTIONARIES
YOU KNOW WHO THIS IS AND WHO I AM!

www.wlym.com

Let's Kick THOSE NAZIS OUT OF GOVERNMENT WITH CREATIVITY!

Peace
MonroeDoctrine
At Parnassus' foot

Lo and Behold!

Postby MonroeDoctrine » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:58 am

Peace
MonroeDoctrine
At Parnassus' foot

Re: Lo and Behold!

Postby Saturn » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:11 am

MonroeDoctrine wrote:Image

:lol:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:41 pm

I truly love your passion, MD!

:D
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Endymion » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:42 pm

It's nice to see so many people here.

I think I've just awoken from a dream, and found it truth.
"He Stood in His Shoes and he Wondered
He Wondered
He Stood in his Shoes and He Wondered."
Endymion

Postby Saturn » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:39 pm

Endymion wrote:It's nice to see so many people here.

I think I've just awoken from a dream, and found it truth.

Nice to see YOU back Endymion I hope you like what this site has become.

Bit different from the old days don't you think?

I hope it has changed for the better... :?
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:06 am

We're rather like one big family...nice to meet you, Endymion. :wink:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Apollonius » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:21 pm

All you guys claiming to be old, sorry, I am 20 years older than the oldest of you. I have been teaching Keats at High School since 1972, but the more I learn the less I know!

I joined this forum to get some opinions, and to see where the rest of the world is coming from. Sometimes as an enthusiast for poetry you feel a bit isolated, but I visited the Keats-Shelley house in Rome this year and, finding myself alone there, asked the curator if they had many visitors. About 35,000 a year apparently, so poetry is not dead.

I also visited Keats's grave and took some photos.

Today's lesson was on "Melancholy". I asked the question "Is this a poem of questions or answers?"

Apologies for rambling, but now you know a bit more about me. It isn't easy to get started on a new forum!
Apollonius

Postby AhDistinctly » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:34 pm

Apollonius wrote:All you guys claiming to be old, sorry, I am 20 years older than the oldest of you. I have been teaching Keats at High School since 1972, but the more I learn the less I know!

I joined this forum to get some opinions, and to see where the rest of the world is coming from. Sometimes as an enthusiast for poetry you feel a bit isolated, but I visited the Keats-Shelley house in Rome this year and, finding myself alone there, asked the curator if they had many visitors. About 35,000 a year apparently, so poetry is not dead.

I also visited Keats's grave and took some photos.

Today's lesson was on "Melancholy". I asked the question "Is this a poem of questions or answers?"

Apologies for rambling, but now you know a bit more about me. It isn't easy to get started on a new forum!

Welcome, Apollonius! I see you are a student as well as a teacher. By asking questions, we learn. I always make it a point to ask the curator at least one question when I go to a museum or historic site. It gives me an opportunityto express appreciation for their work.

We'd love to hear what your class had to say about Melancholy!
...perched and sat and nothing more...
AhDistinctly

Answers!

Postby Apollonius » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:41 pm

They mostly went for "Answers" as a reply on the grounds that both Nightingale and Grecian Urn end with enigmatic questions questioning the value of the imaginative experience. They felt that "Melancholy", with its emphasis on the need to experience the full range of life's emotional experiences, offered some sort of answer. They put forward the idea that this is a poem of acceptance of life, rather than postulating other worlds and questioning them.

Regards
Apollonius

Postby Richard » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:55 pm

Hello Apollonius
Another isolated enthusiast here :wink:
Even my wife, (a voracious reader), contact lenses start to glaze over if I start going off on one. Othertimes its a guilty secret :)

richard
Richard

Postby Bill » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:10 pm

Well, I guess I'll join Apollonius and continue to wreck the age curve here.

My friends call me Bill...I'm 53 (but happily getting younger each year). Lived in Texas most of my life, but have recently moved to Washington state.

I'd love to tell you some fanciful tale of using Keats to discover my 'inner poet', and that I've gone on to greater literary things....but,

The boring truth is I've been a radio personality for 25 years, love all kinds of music from rock to jazz to classical....still play guitar in a live band. Loved watching Ric Flair the professional wrestler. Never had kids, and usually talked back to my parents.

Oh, and I fell in love with Keats' work in high school. Traveled to Hampsted Heath a number of times to sit in his garden....and have never, EVER tried to write poetry.

And I don't smoke, drink or eat meat. My friends back in Texas thought I was in a cult.

....and I am fascinated by this forum and all of you interesting members!
Bill

Postby Saturn » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:23 pm

Welcome aquarius 11 we are a queer bunch but friendly glad you like the site.

Looking forward to your contributions :D
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Bill » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:48 pm

Thanks Saturn!

BTW, I've been a big fan of the Saw Doctors since my visit to Ireland (Galway, Tuam etc) back in '91.

All the best!

B.
Bill

Postby Malia » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:52 pm

Great to have you, Bill :) And everyone *else* who's recently posted--I'm kind of behind in my greetings.

Bill, you are in the right neck of the woods to be Vegetarian. I was a veggie for 5 years and even now the only meat I eat is fish. I haven't had beef in I don't know how long. . .about 10 years?

I can imagine how your Texan friends must have viewed your diet. I can also imagine what they'd say about the tofu pot pie I made for my brother and sister-in-law last night for dinner. (It was glorious, might I add! :lol:) For all you tofu lovers and/or vegetarians out there, when making a tofu pot pie, always used savory baked tofu as the meat substitute. It works *perfectly*. As if anyone really needed and/or wanted that information, right? :lol:
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous