Who are you? Introduce yourself

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Bill » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:01 am

Malia,

Uh.....YUM, tofu pot pie! I'm in!

You're right, Washington's SO veggie friendly. Some of the best ethnic eateries I've ever seen.

Though I don't eat anything that had a face, must admit the salmon here is tempting.

Been a vegetarian since the late 70s. When my friends or family used to ask, "Well, if you don't eat meat, what DO you eat?"

My answer, simply enough was, "Uh, everything but meat."
Bill

Postby Saturn » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:11 am

I could never be a vegetarian - I eat little enough as an omnivore - I would starve :shock: :lol:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Papillon » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:20 am

Hello to all! Thanks for being so welcoming to new members.

Allow me to introduce myself: I am a 28-year-old English teacher from Florida, and yes, some of my students have been lurching about your forum. I appreciate the generosity and consideration that you have offered them. They have learned a lot from you all--in terms of both facts about Keats and how to properly frame and develop a literary argument.

When I am not teaching, I am most likely reading. I am a voracious reader--I have been known to re-read my car's manual for lack of better reading material. Seriously, I am on a "book budget" set by my husband: I'm allowed one book per month. Barnes and Noble is my favorite "hook-up" for my addiction. I read just about anything and everything....classic, modern, fiction, biography, etc. When my husband and I moved to our new house, I had more boxes of books than everything else combined.

Other than that, I am an amateur musician (cellist) who's recently been developing her green thumb. I have a penchant for cats and am a grouchy grammarian (which annoys my husband).

Again, thanks for the warm welcoming atmosphere of the forum. Looking forward to being a part of this world-wide conversation.
"The true voyage of discovery lies not in discovering new landscapes but in having new eyes." ~ Marcel Proust
Papillon

Postby Saturn » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:41 pm

Welcome Papillon...and all your students too :lol:

A fan of The Steve Mc Queen film are you?
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Papillon » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:20 pm

Good guess, Saturn, but alas...incorrect. Although I did enjoy the movie, I didn't enjoy it enough to use it for a screen name!

The moniker comes from my father--it was a childhood nickname. In case you are unfamiliar, besides being part of the Steve McQueen Hall of Fame, "papillon" is also:

(a) a breed of dog
(b) French for butterfly

I enjoy the whimsy associated with being called a butterfly, even if the butterfly is French while I am decidedly American (with Polish roots). Hence my screen name.

Thanks for asking!
"The true voyage of discovery lies not in discovering new landscapes but in having new eyes." ~ Marcel Proust
Papillon

Postby Bill » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:27 pm

Papillon

Papillon

Le Papillon
"A little song, a little dance....a little selzter down your pants"
Bill

Postby Papillon » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:30 pm

Cool, Bill! Thanks for jazzing up my answer with some great photographs.

Le papillon as a restaurant? Sounds delicious to me! :)
Papillon

Postby Saturn » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:11 pm

Yes I knew it was French for butterfly :wink:

Good name anyway, good film :D
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:38 am

Papillon, welcome fellow English teacher... :wink:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

;)

Postby edwardkeenaghan » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:03 am

who are you introduce yourself?
-------------------------------------

Hello my name is Edward and Im a Alchoholic

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
edwardkeenaghan
At Parnassus' foot

Postby AsphodelElysium » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:56 am

Hello!

My name is Dalva and I'm a 24, soon-to-be graduate (M.S. in English, Brit. Lit. concentration) living in the mountains of Virginia. I've been a fan of Keats for several years and immersed in Keats studies for the past 3 years. I thought it was high time to pull myself out of the library, shake the dust off myself (from the numerous tomes), and engage in conversation with like-minded individuals.

My literary trinity is Shakespeare, Keats, and Austen, but I enjoy the Romantics and Victorians in general. I also like Greek mythology, the art of the Pre-Raphaelites, theater, rock and classical music, fairy tales, folklore, scifi/fantasy literature, and supernatural studies.

I'm also a Scorpio, for anyone who is interested in astrology. :wink:
"Let me not wander in a barren dream,
But, when I am consumed in the fire,
Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire."
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Credo Buffa » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:32 am

Very nice to meet you, Asphodel! It's been awhile since we've had an active new member who wasn't a spambot, so you are very welcome! :D
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby AsphodelElysium » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:09 am

Thank you, Credo!

I can't tell you how nice it was to find this forum and to find people who are ready, willing, and able to talk about Keats.

I have the one professor, who has furthered my research, and a handful of indulgent friends who humor me when I want to drink a glass of claret and recite poems on Feb. 23rd, but other than that, it has been very hard to find anyone who wants to have a discussion about Keats.

I'm delighted I found the Forum. :D
"Let me not wander in a barren dream,
But, when I am consumed in the fire,
Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire."
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Credo Buffa » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:12 am

AsphodelElysium wrote:I have the one professor, who has furthered my research, and a handful of indulgent friends who humor me when I want to drink a glass of claret and recite poems on Feb. 23rd, but other than that, it has been very hard to find anyone who wants to have a discussion about Keats.

Yes, they are too few and far between, aren't they? :roll:
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Malia » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:34 pm

AsphodelElysium wrote:Thank you, Credo!

I can't tell you how nice it was to find this forum and to find people who are ready, willing, and able to talk about Keats.

I have the one professor, who has furthered my research, and a handful of indulgent friends who humor me when I want to drink a glass of claret and recite poems on Feb. 23rd, but other than that, it has been very hard to find anyone who wants to have a discussion about Keats.

I'm delighted I found the Forum. :D

:lol: Dalva, I thought I was the only one who went around begging her friends to celebrate Keats on Feb. 23 (or Oct. 31). I totally did that back in college. One of my friends and I planned to write a screenplay for a Keats movie (this was back in 1994-95) and we even took an independent study course on Keats to get the job started. That year, we celebrated the Anniversary of Keats's death by raising a glass to him. Unfortunately, we were both under 21 and couldn't find anyone to buy wine for us, so we did the next best thing and bought a jug of red grape "Juicy Juice". We figured, if Keats had to resort to a non-alcoholic drink, he'd want something that contained his favorite vowel sound "ee" in abundance. So, we raised our glasses and said, "More Juicy Juice! More Juicy, Juicy Juice!" an obvious rip off of Keats's "More Happy Love! More happy, happy love!" :lol: Oy, just thinking about that time makes me realize what a total Keats nerd I really am! :roll: (But I'm quite happy in my nerdiness, I'll just state that for the record.) It's great to have you on the forum!!
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous