Who are you? Introduce yourself

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: Who are you? Introduce yourself

Postby BrokenLyre » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:43 am

Thanks for the welcome. I do think teaching Keats will be a challenge for the 12th graders - but I'll bring in some objects and try to unpack To Autumn somewhat. I know I will thoroughly enjoy it. :)

And yes I confess (but only here) that Nightingale made me weep when I read it in high school. I guess I am built like that.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby marwood » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:37 pm

Hello i joined the forum today,but on reading some of your poetry
and letters i feel unqualified ! I left school at sixteen and had little interest
in poetry but loved music Dylan, cohen which i guess is poetry of sorts.
I stumbled on keats almost by accident, or maybe it twas in the stars.
I split up with my wife of thirty years,all my own stupid fault i am ashamed
to say. I went into a charity shop and picked up a book of poetry by keats
on ficking through,the page fell open at Nightingale,that was it i was lost
in that world. "To drink and leave the world unseen" is how i felt, i had a
glass or two of vintage to help with the shame and guilt i was feeling.
But it's not the answer,so now i'm trying the wings of poesy.
Sorry for the ramblings ! I have three son's and two grand daughters,
and work at Birmingham airport ( boring) Keep up the good work
i love the forum.
That I might drink, and leave the world unseen.
marwood
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Credo Buffa » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:02 pm

Welcome, marwood! Certainly, there's no reason to feel "unqualified." Little more than a life lived and an appreciation for beautiful language need qualify anyone to appreciate poetry. Glad you've joined us! :)
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:25 pm

There are no qualifications required to contribute here, just a love of Keats and poetry.

A warm welcome to you Marwood :P
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby marwood » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:28 pm

Thank you for your warm welcome,
:D
That I might drink, and leave the world unseen.
marwood
At Parnassus' foot

Postby BrokenLyre » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:22 am

To Marwood (and any others),
'tis truly amazing to me how Nightingale has grabbed the attention of so many different people. It's ability to arrest a person's attention is quite remarkable. Though many lines of Nightingale first struck me deeply in High School, I think it was "Where but to think is to be full of sorrow." that fully caught my mind and heart. I then awoke from my poetic slumber. Glad to know I wasn't the only one who sensed this connection with Keats. I do appreciate this forum.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby zebluepenguin » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:05 am

HI! I'm probably the youngest member of all. :( I love classical, romantic and some contemporary music and love reading too. :wink: I play the clarinet in my school band (in Singapore) and piano. I read all the classics stories like King Solomon's mines, the Count of Monte Cristo,etc. I love Jane Eyre, the Harry Potter series, the Twilight saga and books by Dan Brown (I'm now starting on Digital Fortress).
" Heard melodies are sweet. But those unheard are sweeter." -Keats
zebluepenguin

Postby Saturn » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:42 pm

Welcome to the forum zebluepenguin [interesting username by the way :mrgreen: ].
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:51 pm

Welcome! :)
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby zebluepenguin » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:50 am

Thanks, all! I like drawing penguins and coloring them all blue. :? :oops: I was rather crazy about them :) And I love 'To Autumn'!
" Heard melodies are sweet. But those unheard are sweeter." -Keats
zebluepenguin

Postby Wynn » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:01 am

I don't know about absolute youngest, but I'm definitely one of the forum's youngest at 16.
I'm a boy. My username "Wynn" means "friend." I am an INFP or Healer, if you're using the Meyers-Briggs temperament system. I live in Southern California, which is a bad place if you're looking for teenaged poetic enthusiasts. I've loved poetry ever since I read a stanza of Keats' in "On the Eve of St. Agnes," but my favorite poem is "To Autumn."
My other hobbies are: playing strategic board games, usually with my twin brother, who is even more into them; music, I play the Hammered Dulcimer, a little cello, a little bass, the didgeridoo; my favorite performers are Bob Dylan, Loreena Mckennit, Liz Caroll and John Doyle, and others.
That's me. :D
"Never trust a poet who can't construct a stanza."
— Clive James
Wynn

Postby johnkeatspoet » Wed May 13, 2009 10:37 pm

Hello everyone!

My name is John and I am happy to have joined the Keats Forum.
Looking forward to making new friends and learning more about the man and his poetry.
I am also in the process of building a MySpace website on John Keats.
You can take a peek if you like :-)

Cheers.

http://www.myspace.com/johnkeatspoet
johnkeatspoet

Postby Malia » Thu May 14, 2009 2:16 am

Hi John! Welcome to the forum :) I checked out your Keats page and I really like it! I didn't know they had made a *stamp* of Keats in the UK. Are you excited about the Bright Star movie? I can't wait to get the first reviews from Cannes. Hope to see you around the forum. By the way, which Keats poems are your favorites? I'm quite partial to To Autumn, Ode to a Nightingale and The Fall of Hyperion, myself.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby johnkeatspoet » Fri May 15, 2009 12:23 am

Hi Malia Thanks for the friendly welcome! I'm glad you liked my Keats page tho it's still very rudimentary & I need to work more often on it. The Keats stamp was released in 1971 to commemorate the 150th anniversary of his death, I have the FDC. I'm very excited about Bright Star! I've read several biographies on Keats as well as most of his letters so it will be interesting to see how they put it up on screen - not toooo melodramatic I hope. The first Keats poem I read was On first looking into Chapman, it's still my favourite; I like his others sonnets also (esp. Bright Star and When I have fears). Ode on a Grecian Urn and Ode to Psyche are all-time favourites as well, since my first class commentaries were on those. I have not read Endymion or The Fall of Hyperion in full - a shame really.

Nice speaking to you and see you around!

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/movie/bright-star/stills : Yet more ravishing pictures of Bright Star for your enjoyment!
Last edited by johnkeatspoet on Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnkeatspoet

Postby Gazlynn » Tue May 19, 2009 12:17 pm

Hi thought I would introduce myself

My Name Is Gareth and am a Welsh man in excile living in Scotland.
I have just got into Keats at a late age as am 40 years old!!
Don't really know how I got into keats I suppose I was going through some sort of mid life crisis and also one of my childhood memories is my father who has passed away reading ode to a grecian urn and not being able to finish reading the poem as he was crying so much so was. I decided to read the poem a few months ago and got the Keats bug so much that I had his tracing of a grecian urn tattooed on my body !!!!!!!

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/GarethLyn ... 8113379666

and before anyone asks YES IT HURT.

I am also interested in climbing the Scottish Munros and am led to believe that Keats also did some hill walking in Scotland can anyone shed any light on this?
Thanks

Gareth
Gazlynn

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous