Who are you? Introduce yourself

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: Who are you? Introduce yourself

Postby Aquarius » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:35 am

Hello all,

I've been browsing the Keats Forum for several weeks now, completely awed by the passion and intellectual curiosity of the members here for Keats and for literature in general. I've finally worked up the nerve to join and I have only recently discovered Keats. So far, I have read Aileen Ward's biography of Keats, as well as all of his Letters to Fanny Brawne, and am currently working on reading a volume of his complete major works. I admit that I am more inclined towards modern poetry; one of my favorite poets is E.E. Cummings, but now I think Keats holds a more personal spot for me compared to my other favorite poets, especially after having read about his tragic life, and his courageous will towards making great poetry.

A little bit more about me:

I will be entering my last year as an art history major.
I 'm from Canada.
I love period films.
I am a total anglophile.
It appears to me that almost any man may like the spider spin from his own inwards his own airy citadel.
Aquarius

Postby Malia » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:10 pm

Hi Aquarius! Welcome to the forum :) It's great to hear from you. What part of Canada are you from? I live about 5 hours away from Nelson B.C., in Spokane Washington--so, not far from the boarder. And I think you'll find several people on the board (including myself) who are interested in period films and all things English. You say that you're fairly new to Keats, what drew you to him? While I've been a Keatsian for years now, and I do love many of his poems (particularly Ode to a Nightingale and To Autumn) I am even more drawn to his life story. He could have stepped right out of a Shakespearean tragedy! His courage and determination to persevere with life, love, and art, are amazing, aren't they?

When it comes to favorite poets, that is, the poetry itself--I'm a huge fan of Pablo Neruda. (No offense, Keats! :lol: ) And while I would say that Keats's poetry can take some getting used to--that is, getting used to reading a more "old fashioned" style--once you really delve into him, you begin to see the beauty of his craft. I highly suggest reading his works aloud in order to *taste* his words--he chose and arranged words in such a way as to create a physical sensation when you read them and also to create a kind of internal music that really comes out when you read the words aloud. I would say that Keats is one of the most *sensual* poets I've ever read--so the more senses you employ when reading him, the better :)

Again, it is great to see you here and I hope you feel free to pop in often.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Aquarius » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:40 am

Thanks for the warm welcome, Malia.

I'm from Calgary, Alberta (nicknamed Cowtown, with its wild west history), which is kind of close to the US border.

I was drawn to Keats mostly from learning about his tragic separation from his beloved Fanny Brawne, and from reading some of his letters. I love reading the letters and diaries of famous artists and people- it's like a form of intellectual voyeurism that is immensely satisfying. Only now, have I started reading his poems, and you are right about the sensual nature of his poetry. When I started reading Endymion, I was literally swooning from the beautiful sounds and imagery of his words. After reading Ward's biography of him, I was astounded by how much courage and will power he had to transform himself into a great poet in a very short time. That aspect of his nature makes him so human and real. Reading about Keats and his life made me want to get to know him more, not just as a poet but as a person. He seems like the kind of person who you would like to be friends with and have a chat with.

I'm also a huge fan of Pablo Neruda. I'd have to say my top three poets in no particular order are Neruda, E.E. Cummings and now Keats.

I think it will take me a long time to get through Keat's work, since I am not accustomed to reading poetry from this period, but I Know I will enjoy it.
It appears to me that almost any man may like the spider spin from his own inwards his own airy citadel.
Aquarius

Postby dks » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:23 am

Yes, I second that welcome, Aquarius...it's always such a pleasure to see people join who've just been bewitched by the spell that is Keats...this is indeed a sanctuary of sorts...in any case, it's great to have you here!
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:21 am

Welcome Aquarius to our little coterie :D
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Cemre » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:05 pm

Helloooo :)
This is my first post to this forum:):)My name is Cemre and I am 23,I got my B.A in Archaeology(not classic but prehistory:) )
Archaeology and literature...like two links of a chain or "unchangefullness in the mids of change" as Wordsworth says.I love reading Keats' poetry and his letters.Each has its own story i think:)
Cemre

Postby Saturn » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:38 pm

Hello Cemre, and welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy it. Looking forward to your posts.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Cemre » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:51 pm

Thanks for your friendly welcome,Saturn.I really enjoy this site :)
Cemre

Postby Malia » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:13 pm

It's great to meet you, Cemre. See you around the message boards :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby AsphodelElysium » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:38 am

Welcome to the Forum! Look forward to your insights. :D
"Let me not wander in a barren dream,
But, when I am consumed in the fire,
Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire."
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby BrokenLyre » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:38 pm

Welcome Aquarius and Cemre. I always enjoy hearing other people's stories about how Keats strikes them. We're all learning as we go and this is a good place to share your heart and thoughts. Nice to hear new "voices." Hope to hear more from you both.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Sid13 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:02 pm

Hello to all the Keats fans here.

I'm glad I found this forum. I just happened to come across it while I was googling for info on the Bright Star movie.

Keats has long been my favorite poet, both for his extremely vivid sensuousness and for his intellectual impressionism, his receptiveness to new ideas and possibilities, unlike several other poets I admire, such as Dante, Milton, Blake, or Shelley, who seem to dogmatically push some particular ideological point of view.

I look forward to participating in the discussions here.

Sid
Sid13

Postby Malia » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:48 pm

Hi Sid! Welcome to our forum :) When will Bright Star be coming out in the San Jose area? It won't be coming to my neck of the woods (Spokane WA) until October and I'm totally chomping at the bit!

Which of Keats's poems are your favorites? When did you first discover him?

Looking forward to seeing you around the forum :D
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Sid13 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:20 pm

Malia wrote:Hi Sid! Welcome to our forum :) When will Bright Star be coming out in the San Jose area? It won't be coming to my neck of the woods (Spokane WA) until October and I'm totally chomping at the bit!

Which of Keats's poems are your favorites? When did you first discover him?

Looking forward to seeing you around the forum :D

Thank you for the welcome, Malia.

Bright Star will be playing here a week from tomorrow.

It's funny that you ask me when I discovered Keats. I'm probably the only one here who first read Keats in an anthology of horror stories. No, I'm not making that up. As a teenager, I'd read nothing but horror stories. When I was sixteen, I had a fat anthology called Wolf's Complete Book of Terror, which included some unlikely things, like Goethe's Erl-king and the excerpt from Paradise Lost where Satan meets Sin and Death. It also had Isabella, or The Pot of Basil and La Belle Dame Sans Merci. Isabella bored me (it took too long to get to the gruesome parts), and I didn't finish reading it for another two or three yearts. But I instantly fell in love with La Belle Dame Sans Merci. Even now, many years later, it is, with the possible exception of Ode to a Nightingale, my favorite Keats poem.
Sid13

Postby dks » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:38 am

Yes, welcome, Sid...always great to see another person who is familiar with and loves the work of the man...
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous