Who are you? Introduce yourself

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: Who are you? Introduce yourself

Postby jbieger322 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:23 am

Hi everybody! It's so nice to see such welcoming people :D
Well I feel a little embarrassed, because up until yesterday I had no idea who Keats was, I know huge gasps. However I am happy to say that I am now a huge fan, and have completely devoured his poems and letters. Now here comes the next embarrassing part, my new found obsession has come from Bright Star the movie, yes it makes me cringe a little, but in a way it makes me happy to know that other people like me who never got the chance to hear of Keats will see the movie and be just as inspired as I am. So hopefully you will have a ton of new faces around here! Oh by the way for those who haven't seen the movie, it was absolutely beautiful. I'm sure there are some flaws (for those of you who know Keats better than I do) but it was quite special.
Last edited by jbieger322 on Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
jbieger322

Postby Malia » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:30 am

Hi Jesseca and welcome to our forum! :) I am so happy to hear that you liked Bright Star and that it turned you on to Keats. I haven't seen the movie yet (it won't be coming here until October) and I can't wait. Keats is such an amazing figure--his life is as interesting as his poems. Do you have a favorite poem yet? What about Keats especially grabs you? Hope to see you around the forum!
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:33 am

Ah Bright Star has already worked some magic. Good to hear that it turned you onto Keats and you are very welcome Jessica.

We each of us came to Keats, or came to poetry from separate paths but what matters is that the spark was lighted, not who, or what lit the flame.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby BrokenLyre » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:14 am

Yes, a big and hearty welcome Jesseca (if that is spelled correctly). I love to hear how people get introduced to Keats. Thank you for sharing. I hope you will drop in and tell us what strikes you about the man and his poetry. I look forward to hearing from you.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Raphael » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:42 pm

I'm 41, a graduate of Archaeology/English and volunteering in an art gallery. I've taught EFL, and I'm a holistic therapist. I am into art, literature, mythology, folklore, nature, Druidism/Celtic spirituality, creative writing, music and of course I love John Keats.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Malia » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:51 pm

Thanks for the info about yourself, Raphael :)
Do you think, had he been exposed to practicing Druids, Keats might have embraced that religion? I think his personality lent itself to a worship that was nature-centered.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:59 pm

Well Keats certainly was interested in the mythology of Greece and Rome that much we know, but I doubt there was even such a thing as real practising Druids or a pagans in the early 19th century. Such a thing was certainly illegal in a time when attendance at church in some places was still law, when dissenters and the catholic religion were not tolerated and to be an agnostic or atheist was completely unacceptable to most people I doubt there was any interest in such practises. The modern forms of worship and pagan practises are mostly a 20th/21st century revival I would venture.
I think Keats like many in that circle was deeply distrustful and sceptical at least of the Christian religion at least but I don't think he would have become involved in anything like paganism if, as I say there was any evidence of it at the time.

Of course later in the 19th century mysticism and spirituality and seances and all that kind of thing was incredibly popular, but that was much later.

I may be wrong, perhaps Raphael can shed some light on that.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:24 pm

Raphael wrote:I'm 41, a graduate of Archaeology/English and volunteering in an art gallery. I've taught EFL, and I'm a holistic therapist. I am into art, literature, mythology, folklore, nature, Druidism/Celtic spirituality, creative writing, music and of course I love John Keats.

Yes, welcome, Raphael. My husband is from Ireland--he'd nod in fierce approval at your interest in Druidism and Celtic spirituality...as do I...welcome to our Keats sanctuary...
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby dks » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:31 pm

Malia wrote:Thanks for the info about yourself, Raphael :)
Do you think, had he been exposed to practicing Druids, Keats might have embraced that religion? I think his personality lent itself to a worship that was nature-centered.

Here, here--I agree with you on that, Malia...and Stephen is utterly correct, also, about the fact that any resurgence in Paganism didn't emerge until much later--probably about the late 40's or early 50's during the derivation of Wicca and a slow rise in popularity in Neo-Paganism via the 60's, when New Age-ism began to emerge...

It is interesting, though, to think on that--to wonder whether Keats would embrace anything like Neo-Paganism--he very much worshipped nature and the heart--the Druids/Celts certainly would've have crowned him as one their own!
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Raphael » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:29 pm

Malia wrote:Thanks for the info about yourself, Raphael :)

Yes it is very possible. Looking at his colouring John Keats looked very Celtic; also in his character he was Celtic- the passion, love of nature, music, spirituality. If you read about the pagan Celts his sensibility does fit the Celtic one.I'm actually planning to write an article about John and his work for a Druid magazine . I'm thinking of calling it "John Keats- Bard and Celtic soul?" or something like that.I'm so pleased you asked me this and that it's ok to mention being into Druidism here. (I'm not proselytising it though, just like to mention some things I've noticed).

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:40 pm

Saturn wrote:Well Keats certainly was interested in the mythology of Greece and Rome that much we know, but I doubt there was even such a thing as real practising Druids or a pagans in the early 19th century. Such a thing was certainly illegal in a time when attendance at in some places was still law, when dissenters and the catholic religion were not tolerated and to be an agnostic or atheist was completely unacceptable to most people I doubt there was any interest in such practises. The modern forms of worship and pagan practises are mostly a 20th/21st century revival I would venture.
I think Keats like many in that circle was deeply distrustful and sceptical at least of the Christian religion at least but I don't think he would have become involved in anything like paganism if, as I say there was any evidence of it at the time.

Of course later in the 19th century mysticism and spirituality and seances and all that kind of thing was incredibly popular, but that was much later.

I may be wrong, perhaps Raphael can shed some light on that.

John loved Greek mythology and he seemed to really connect with Apollo. I think his soul was leaning to a pagan spirituality rather than a Christian one; ancient Greek paganism didn't have the constraints of sexual behaviour that was so obviously causing John such torment, it also celibrated the sensulaity of nature. There actually were Druids in the eighteenth century- revivalists, but with a Christian slant to them.If he had had the opportunity to have met them I think he would have found them interesting.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:43 pm

dks wrote:
Raphael wrote:I'm 41, a graduate of Archaeology/English and volunteering in an art gallery. I've taught EFL, and I'm a holistic therapist. I am into art, literature, mythology, folklore, nature, Druidism/Celtic spirituality, creative writing, music and of course I love John Keats.

Yes, welcome, Raphael. My husband is from Ireland--he'd nod in fierce approval at your interest in Druidism and Celtic spirituality...as do I...welcome to our Keats sanctuary...

I'm so glad to be among like minded people. I really don't wanna come across as OTT but I adore this forum! I need to share my experiences and feelings about John and his work, and none of my friends are into literature sadly. Well I got back in touch with an old uni friend who is doing a phd in archaeology- he said he likes art and he does read stuff so maybe he will listen to me going on about John Keats ! He goes away a lot on excavations and trips tho.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby toots » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:00 pm

Hello,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm very glad to have discovered this forum. The film 'Bright Star' has reawakened an interest in Keats and his life and work. I have been hooked since I was a schoolgirl when I heard my headmistress reading 'To Autumn' in morning assembly at the beginning of one autumn term. It was Keats who sparked in me a lifelong love of literature by showing what magic could be woven from words and the imagination. It was a 'Chapman's Homer' moment, if you like. When I found out more about his tragic life, I was even more intrigued and have been fascinated ever since.

I think he was a very remarkable human being and one of the few great creative artists I think I would have liked to have known in person. As a Londoner, I'm hoping to compile a little picture gallery of places in London associated with Keats. I will post a link to the results here when it is done.

Anne
toots

Postby Saturn » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:25 pm

You are very welcome toots/Anne, I hope the film will have reignited the interest of many others to the brilliance of Keats.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:20 pm

Hi Toots, welcome to our community :) I'm glad that the movie has reignited your interest of Keats. I'm currently in London on a mini-Keats pilgrimage, myself. I hope to see Wentworth Place/Keats House on Friday. I'm really looking forward to it.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous