Who are you? Introduce yourself

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: Who are you? Introduce yourself

Postby Raphael » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:56 pm

I look forward to that! I wouldn't mind reading your dissertation- sounds interesting. My understanding or perhaps interpretaton of The Fall of Hyperion probably differs to yours- I find it shamanic- he is on a quest/Journey. It's very pagan and I LOVE IT!

PS - the topic is in the Life and Letters section under Negative Capability and Spirituality
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Re: Hi everyone

Postby Raphael » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:59 pm

johntoh wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and just wanted to say hello to everyone. Hopefully I will make some friends here in the weeks to come.Take care and send me a pm if you want to be friends, otherwise, I'll see you all on the boards.

"If Life is a series of ups and down, then these poems attempt to paint a road map that can better guide us through the valleys so we can find our way to the top of those hills. Poetry to uplift, motivate, and make us look at this world with new eyes."

Welcome! Great to have another Keatsian friend! :D How long have you liked our dear poet?

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Jupiter » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:10 am

Hello everyone.

First and foremost I must say that I am relatively new to Keats, just as I am relatively new to poetry in general. Not that I didn't have contact with it since I was a child, but, alas, these 16 years of institutional schooling made me loathe poetry, just as I loathed physics and mathematics (and this comes from a nearly straight-A student). I never understood why we were required to dissect it, slaughter it, murder it through analysis. I truly believe that the best way to utterly massacre someone's taste in poetry is to have it taught in schools, and hand over the task to some rigid professor who expects you to merely re-iterate the opinions of some old scholarly prig instead of providing your own original interpretation. I am not saying this as an insult to teachers, in general. I know there are many, many good ones too, who encourage creativity among their students, but this is what the educational system is like where I live. We are not taught to be creative, we are taught to swallow the subject without even chewing it first.

However, I am now willing to start everything from scratch and learn, but this time I will do it my way. I am taking this as an opportunity to enrich my knowledge regarding the life and work of a great poet, and I'll be looking forward to having intellectually rewarding conversations with you people.

Au revoir :)
Jupiter

Postby Raphael » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:02 pm

Hello everyone.

Welcome Jupiter! How are you?

I never understood why we were required to dissect it, slaughter it, murder it through analysis.

I agree- I agree with our dear John Keats who wrote poetry to be read, enjoyed; to soothe the soul, to enchant, to take you places- to feel sensations.

I am not saying this as an insult to teachers, in general. I know there are many, many good ones too, who encourage creativity among their students, but this is what the educational system is like where I live. We are not taught to be creative, we are taught to swallow the subject without even chewing it first.

I think it's the same in most countries unless one goes to a Rudolph Steiner school.

I am taking this as an opportunity to enrich my knowledge regarding the life and work of a great poet, and I'll be looking forward to having intellectually rewarding conversations with you people.

That will be great! :D
Best wishes
Raphael.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Credo Buffa » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:23 pm

Now we have a Saturn and a Jupiter! Our little solar system is expanding. Welcome. :)

It's a very true point that you make about many a literature class killing any desire some students may have in pursuing a form such as poetry. It takes a very adept teacher to know just how much is too much and how to excite the imagination and curiosity young minds new to poetry. Unfortunately, all it takes is one bad experience to ruin an entire lifetime's worth of potential readership. We're certainly glad you were able to climb out of that funk and join us, Jupiter.
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:27 pm

We are a veritable Galaxy at this point; I've never seen such a hive of activity as there has been in the last few months. This forum is more active than I can remember in nearly six years of membership.

Seems Bright Star has certainly been a beacon drawing people here, more than I ever expected.

Welcome aboard Jupiter.

I had a very similar experience in school; I hated poetry, hated the way it was taught and drummed into me, but later, on my own began to discover it myself and now I can;t imagine a time when I didn't read and write poems.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:06 pm

Saturn wrote:We are a veritable Galaxy at this point; I've never seen such a hive of activity as there has been in the last few months. This forum is more active than I can remember in nearly six years of membership. Seems Bright Star has certainly been a beacon drawing people here, more than I ever expected.

That can only be a good thing- our Junkets is getting some well deserved attention. :D
Funnily enough it wasn't the film what brought me here- it was my art gallery research that led me to a new appreciation of his work and life. It was only when I joined here I saw that there was a film about him coming out.Timing... :wink:

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Jupiter » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:02 pm

Thank you all for the warm and kind welcome. It's good to see such a passionate, dedicated community and I'm proud to be a new member of the 'galaxy' :D

I haven't seen 'Bright Star' yet, but I intend to, and soon. In fact, I have been hovering about for a while now, pondering on whether I should join or not... Unlike many of you, I am not a Keats scholar, haven't read any biographies, I am only slightly acquainted with his life/inner circle, but I do have a genuine interest in his poetry.

I agree with our dear John Keats who wrote poetry to be read, enjoyed; to soothe the soul, to enchant, to take you places- to feel sensations.

So do I, poetry is, if anything, meant to be felt, tasted, smelled, heard, seen, breathed in, but definitely not rammed down anyone's throats. As Keats himself said: "Poetry should be great and unobtrusive, a thing which enters into one's soul, and does not startle it or amaze it with itself, but with its subject."
Jupiter

Postby Malia » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:22 pm

I fear I'm a little late to join the welcome wagon! I hope you'll accept my warmest welcome Jupiter :D Hope you feel comfortable, grab a good cuppa, put your feet up, and join us in our Keats discussion!
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Jupiter » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:29 pm

Thank you Malia :D
Jupiter

Postby Saturn » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:44 pm

You don't have to be a Keats scholar at all to join in, you just have to love Keats and his work, be that his letters, his poems or anything else, an interest in Keats is all that is required to join in.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Maureen » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:22 pm

Hi - I have been a Keats admirer for more years than I care to remember - I was introduced to him at school by that rare thing, an inspirational teacher, who played us Simon & Garfunkel and Dylan before pointing out that the themes they deal with are exactly those which confronted Keats. Plus ca change and all that...

I went on to train to teach English myself and have I hope introduced other young people to the magic of poetry but I fully understand those who were put off literature at school.

I discovered this site while searching for a particular Keats letter I wanted to read in full - the one thing missing from my book collection is a comprehensive volume of his letters (on my 'to buy' list). Up to now I had no idea Keats had a site, let alone a forum, dedicated to him. He would have been delighted! As I am to have found it.
Maureen

Postby Raphael » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:45 pm

Maureen wrote:Hi - I have been a Keats admirer for more years than I care to remember - I was introduced to him at school by that rare thing, an inspirational teacher, who played us Simon & Garfunkel and Dylan before pointing out that the themes they deal with are exactly those which confronted Keats. Plus ca change and all that...

I went on to train to teach English myself and have I hope introduced other young people to the magic of poetry but I fully understand those who were put off literature at school.

I discovered this site while searching for a particular Keats letter I wanted to read in full - the one thing missing from my book collection is a comprehensive volume of his letters (on my 'to buy' list). Up to now I had no idea Keats had a site, let alone a forum, dedicated to him. He would have been delighted! As I am to have found it.

Welcome Maureen! Yes, I think he would be delighted he is being loved and remembered!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Malia » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:45 pm

Hi Maureen and welcome to our forum! :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:02 pm

Maureen wrote:I went on to train to teach English myself and have I hope introduced other young people to the magic of poetry but I fully understand those who were put off literature at school.

An admirable goal, and one that I'm sure we all hope you achieve. Welcome, Maureen!
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous