Who are you? Introduce yourself

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Saturn » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:42 pm

AsphodelElysium wrote:Hello!

My name is Dalva and I'm a 24, soon-to-be graduate (M.S. in English, Brit. Lit. concentration) living in the mountains of Virginia. I've been a fan of Keats for several years and immersed in Keats studies for the past 3 years. I thought it was high time to pull myself out of the library, shake the dust off myself (from the numerous tomes), and engage in conversation with like-minded individuals.

My literary trinity is Shakespeare, Keats, and Austen, but I enjoy the Romantics and Victorians in general. I also like Greek mythology, the art of the Pre-Raphaelites, theater, rock and classical music, fairy tales, folklore, scifi/fantasy literature, and supernatural studies.

I'm also a Scorpio, for anyone who is interested in astrology. :wink:

AsphodelElysium wrote:Thank you, Credo!

I can't tell you how nice it was to find this forum and to find people who are ready, willing, and able to talk about Keats.

I have the one professor, who has furthered my research, and a handful of indulgent friends who humor me when I want to drink a glass of claret and recite poems on Feb. 23rd, but other than that, it has been very hard to find anyone who wants to have a discussion about Keats.

I'm delighted I found the Forum. :D

And may I extend my own very hearty welcome to you Dalva as custodian of this little soirée. :D

Good to have you on board. I hope you like the forum and stick around.

We are a small but very friendly bunch I hope you'll find, and very happy to have another Keatsian join our ranks :D
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby AsphodelElysium » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:21 pm

Malia, Saturn, thank you very much! I look forward to many great conversations.

Malia,

It is perfectly wonderful that you celebrate Keats's birthday and remember his death date. I bribe my friends with the wine :D but I also have to celebrate James Joyce and Mary Shelley for them so its a mutual toleration. I created a Keats playlist, cleverly disguised as a "Hallowe'en" playlist, that I listen to all day on the 31st, so I'm just as much a Keats "nerd" as you are and, also for the record, just as proud! :D We should all get along famously. :wink:
"Let me not wander in a barren dream,
But, when I am consumed in the fire,
Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire."
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:26 pm

:lol:

Ah another Keats nerd :D

You and Malia will get on so well :lol:

I bow to everyone else in their nerdiness.

:wink:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:47 pm

AsphodelElysium wrote:I created a Keats playlist, cleverly disguised as a "Hallowe'en" playlist, that I listen to all day on the 31st

Oooo, what is on this playlist?
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:48 pm

That's what I wondered :!:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:24 pm

Welcome, AE. I, too, celebrate every Feb. 23rd--I often have people as me if I'm going to a funeral on that day--I wear black. I am also getting my Masters in lit--I'm almost done. I'm toiling over my thesis abstract now--while in my classroom. I am to present it Saturday, the 14th to my entire English department.

:shock:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby AsphodelElysium » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:38 pm

Thank you dks. I wear all black on Valentine's Day. I mean they cut the man's head off for goodness sake. Anyway, good luck with your thesis. I'm sure you'll do fine but I know how nerve wracking it can be. I finish my comprehensive exams a couple of weeks ago, but I had the oral component last week and it was tough having to defend everything I wrote. Bless you, I hope it works out.

As for the playlist... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Its not really anything that makes much sense. Mostly it is just songs that have at one time or another reminded me of, made me think of, I was listening to when I was reading, Keats. It would actually, probably, seem like a huge mess. I can't remember everything that is on it because it is not right in front of me but some of the songs are Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata," Bach's "Toccata and Fugue in D minor," Carl Orff's "O, Fortuna," Rasputina's cover of "Bad Moon Rising," Metallica's cover of "Loverman," and "Nothing Else Matters," and "Stricken" by Disturbed.

There is also some Torelli, "Concerto Grosso #6," I think. Anyway, the name "playlist" makes it sound more clever than it actually is. Its really just a product of my weirdness. :oops:
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Bill » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:47 pm

AE.....gotta' love a set that includes Bach AND Metallica!

Makes me realize I'm not so weird listening to My Bloody Valentine and Respighi.
"A little song, a little dance....a little selzter down your pants"
Bill

Postby Saturn » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:07 pm

I veer between Mozart and Slayer some days...
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby AsphodelElysium » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:45 pm

Well, I feel better about my "playlist" now. :D
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:27 pm

Well that was an extreme example but I do have a very strange taste in music :P
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Sir Nevis » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:55 am

AsphodelElysium wrote:My literary trinity is Shakespeare, Keats, and Austen

it's always good to have a literary trinity, je pense. mine is Burns, Keats and Christina Rossetti...well, that's my poetic trinity at least: my prose trinity would have to be George MacDonald, C S Lewis and Charles Dickens, with numerous others clamouring for admittance to both triumvirates (Milton and Walter Scott perhaps at the head of the respective packs)

by the way, I'm Dave and i'm a 29 year old Scotsman living in Aberdeen. I tend to be rather obsessive, not to mention evangelistic about my passions, both literary and otherwise. The aforementioned George MacDonald is one of my most recent discoveries (through C S lewis) and he has opened up a whole new imaginative-and spiritual-world for me. I am inordinately proud of coming from the same neck of the woods as this colossal genius and given half a chance will probably try to cajole you all into reading him.

other interests are music: generally, but not exclusively, with a melancholic strain (everything from chopin to eva cassidy, travis and del amitri) scottish nationalism (by which i mean pro independence, not anything more sinister!) and supporting the mighty Celtic Football Club. 'Mon the Hoops!
Last edited by Sir Nevis on Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
upon my life, Sir Nevis, I am piqued!
Sir Nevis

Postby Saturn » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:23 am

Welcome to the forum Sir Nevis good to have another newbie join us here. I look forward to your contribution :P
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:25 pm

Welcome, Sir Nevis :)
I understand what it means to be passionate/"evangalistic" about one's interests! I have a tendancy to tell everyone the details of whatever interest is in the forefront of my experience, too. (Don't know how many people have had to listen to my enthusiastic lectures about Keats! --Don't get me started on Hawaiian music and dance. :lol: )

I also like Chopin and Eva Cassidy is great. I have one of Eva Cassidy's CD's and, yes, I would say she comes under the heading of "amazing, yet tragic" considering she died so young and from a cancer that just attacked out of nowhere.

Great to see you 'round the forum!
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:20 pm

'bout time we had a Scot here! Welcome Sir Nevis. :)

Malia wrote:I understand what it means to be passionate/"evangalistic" about one's interests! I have a tendancy to tell everyone the details of whatever interest is in the forefront of my experience, too. (Don't know how many people have had to listen to my enthusiastic lectures about Keats! --Don't get me started on Hawaiian music and dance. :lol: )

Ha ha, add me to this list! It's one of the most bizarre things in life to know that your most sincere passions are not shared by others. When I find out that someone I know isn't interested in one of my really big interests, I almost feel it a compulsion to try and convert him/her. . . and it's the best feeling in the world when you actually do!
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous