Lost poem by Byron rediscovered.

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Lost poem by Byron rediscovered.

Postby Saturn » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:59 pm

See here:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 33,00.html

Very interesting don't you think?

I've always thought there are a lot of lost poems lying hidden in books in all the hundreds of libraries out there.

Who knows, maybe a lost Keats poem may emerge one day in the future :D
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:54 am

Very interesting article! Thanks for that. I thought this was kind of telling--as I read somewhere he was a manic depressive:

"Although Byron praised the elegance of Rogers’s writing, and spent time with him and Shelley in Italy, he eventually turned against him. Dr Cochran described Byron as a volatile and emotional character who had turned against most of his friends at some time."

Yep, there's the Byron we all know and love--then hate. (Or is it the Byron we "love to hate" :wink: ) OK, I'm obviously not a fan of Byron the man--and I haven't read much of his poetry, so I can't comment on that. He called Keats's poetry a "masturbation of the imagination"--if I read it right in the Motion biography. Anyway, I thought he was too stuck up for his own good. I'll take a Cockney poet with his "nosegay of enigmas" over Byron *any* day.

It would be absolutely cool to just stumble upon a lost poem written by a great poet the way the librarian did. Just goes to show, I guess, that the greatest surprises come to us when we least expect them!

Postby Malia » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:56 am

That guest who wrote the above was me, by the way :lol:
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:56 am

Be my guest :lol:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Return to Miscellaneous