The 'Currently reading' thread...

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Heaven/Hell » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:49 pm

Saturn wrote:Richard Holmes' biographies are always brilliant, his Shelley one in particular is probably the best biography I've ever read.

I think I've read it at least three times.

Is it called Shelley: The Pursuit? I've finally located it. Have you checked out the one Byron and Shelley: The Making of the Poets? I don't think that one's by Holmes.
"Language has not the power that Love indites: The Soul lies buried in the ink that writes" ~ John Clare
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Saturn » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:52 pm

Heaven/Hell wrote:
Saturn wrote:Richard Holmes' biographies are always brilliant, his Shelley one in particular is probably the best biography I've ever read.

I think I've read it at least three times.

Is it called Shelley: The Pursuit? I've finally located it. Have you checked out the one Byron and Shelley: The Making of the Poets? I don't think that one's by Holmes.

No its' not by Holmes but it is a very good read
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Heaven/Hell » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:45 pm

Also is a good read, "The Templar Revelation" by Lynne Picknett and Clive Prince, about occult underground societies. If you're into that kind of stuff...
"Language has not the power that Love indites: The Soul lies buried in the ink that writes" ~ John Clare
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Saturn » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:05 pm

Don't tell me... you're a fan of the Da [n Brown] Vinci Code and all that? :wink:

Currently reading...

A very interesting, and of course hilarious inside look at the Greatest Comedy troupe of all time :D

Palin is such a nice bloke - its a cliche, but he really is a lovely man :P
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:23 pm

That Michael Palin book looks pretty cool, Saturn. I always got the vibe that Palin was the "sweet, cute" one of the Monty Python crowd--a little like Ned Needleander "Little Neddy" from the Three Amigos ;) Ok, that was a weird comparison, but forgive me--my brain has been addled by the heat and a 9-page paper on organizational frames. (Whatever happend to summer vacation is what I want to know!)

Anyway, speaking of books, I've just read--and have been re-reading--another sports biography. Do not ask me why I've been jonesing for these things lately. . .I'm not even really into sports, but this bio is truly tops. It is the most recent biography about legendary Yankees first baseman and slugger Lou Gehrig. I'd always been curious about him, but never really knew anything about his life except for the fact that he was built like a tank, played a mean game of baseball and died of ALS in his 30's. Turns out, he was a really interesting guy. On the surface, he seemed kind of two-dimensional because he was extremely shy and painfully earnest *and* socially awkward. (There are definitely times in this book where you just want to go 'aww' and give him a big hug! :lol:) In actuality, he was a smart and extremely sensitive guy with a lot of depth and an amazing amount of courage. Anyway, it's a great read--even if you know (or care) nothing about baseball.

Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:46 pm

Malia wrote: On the surface, he seemed kind of two-dimensional because he was extremely shy and painfully earnest *and* socially awkward. (There are definitely times in this book where you just want to go 'aww' and give him a big hug! :lol:) In actuality, he was a smart and extremely sensitive guy with a lot of depth and an amazing amount of courage.

Sounds like me :oops:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:01 pm

You know, Saturn, I really think you'd enjoy reading about Lou Gehrig. He really struggled with low self-confidence and a sense of unworthiness throughout his life. Even though he was called "Gibraltar in Cleats" and the "Iron Horse," behind his astounding physical strength lurked a moody, sensitive soul that could be bent like tin foil. In the book, the author says that Gehrig was "built for greatness, but programmed for failure". A great line that says an awful lot. Despite his internal struggles and propensity for worrying, he was amazingly upbeat in general and faced ALS--what an ironic way for such a strong person to die--with an amazing amount of fortitude and grace.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:45 pm

Sounds like a braver man than me, though that isn't too hard :?
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Heaven/Hell » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:46 pm

Saturn wrote:Don't tell me... you're a fan of the Da [n Brown] Vinci Code and all that? :wink:

No, just a fan of the occult and underground/pagan societies and the knowledge they preserved. Christianity itself is based on a sham, Jesus' real wisdom passed down to the 'in favour' or initiated prophets (esoteric knowledge like alchemy, mysticism, etc) was filtered out by those in power to keep the masses ignorant and submissive.

The list of people on the cult member lists reads like a "World's Greatest Geniuses" list. Da Vinci, Mozart, Hugo, Shakespeare, Dante, W.B. Yeats, George Washington, Isaac Newton, (yes, he of the mechanistic universe theories was into magic and heresy) Raphael, Botticelli, Jim Morrison, erm, Hitler...
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Saturn » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:09 pm

One world order, the illuminati...all that stuff you belive in too I guess? :wink:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Heaven/Hell » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:43 pm

Saturn wrote:One world order, the illuminati...all that stuff you belive in too I guess? :wink:

Ohhhhh yes. It's all tenuous gossip which is absolutely impossible to validate, but when you really think about it, everything slots in and makes sense. Why so much spin and intrigue goes on in the world of politics. Blair said when he retired (tellingly), "The war in Iraq was down to forces beyond my control." Information is suppressed. Opponents to the order are annihalated. The truth is out there. (doo-doo-doo doo doo)
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Saturn » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:03 pm

:wink:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Heaven/Hell » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:23 pm

That's shite, all that alien invasion lark. I don't really find myself drawn in to the "we're not alone" theories (universally speaking). I do however believe that there is terrestrial beings/agencies out there with powers we can't imagine (due to our sceptic views about our own imaginative/extra-sensory faculties) and they have telepathically contacted us across aeons, but can't be buggered to actually appear materially because we're enslaved already by the OWO-driven media. ;)
If you'd like to learn more about mental slavery and mind-warping/brain-cell wiping, visit your local television screen. Or don't. Read. Just read.
What are your own theories, Saturn? You are highly articulate and I wish to know if any of this has intellectual stimulation on you. Come on, the Romantics were legendary for their belief in the powers of the human Imagination, particularly my hero William Blake.
Am I a gullible fool, or is there some ground to my ramblings? Let me know if I am gullible or not, and I'll act accordingly.. :P
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Saturn » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:01 pm

I don't know what to think really.

I've heard so many conspiracy theories about the world and how it's run that I don't know what to believe.

Whatever's happening, its out of our hands really. I try not to think about it, you can really angry and depressed if you go down that line of thinking and god knows I've enough anger and depression as it is.

My world is small and I try and change the small things I can change and not think too much about the world as a whole.

Some may call this selfish, I call it realistic, common sense - deal with the problems you can deal with, not ones you have no control over.

There are some who want to change the world, I just want to be able to live in it safely and happily if that's possible.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:55 pm

I, on the other hand, make sure I'm in contact with the mother ship at least once a week, and those bastards don't even pick up the charges. :wink:

You all are currently reading some wide, vast, varied, and intriguing things...I'm currently reading...um...oh, yes...about 22 different critical works on Keats...ah, yes...that would be because I'm offcially in:

THESIS HELL

:lol:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous