The 'Currently reading' thread...

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Despondence » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:09 pm

Saturn wrote: :?:

Which part of "my morbid mind" didn't you understand? Image
Despondence

Postby Saturn » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:23 pm

accio brain... :?:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Despondence » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:49 pm

Oh....I thought that was clear enough, accio from Latin meaning "summon". There's an extensive entry in wikipedia...(google is your friend too).

This might clarify things better though:
Despondence

Postby Saturn » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:03 pm

I don't know much latin :)

Thanks for clearing that up Despondence :D
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:54 pm

Despondence wrote:Oh my.....oh dear....blimey. What can I say, accio brain, ha ha!

(my morbid mind silently ponders what the outcome would be if that was exercised on a person rather than a brain bath...Image)

That does seem like it could get messy. . .
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Brave Archer » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:21 pm

At the moment i'm reading a couple of books. I'm reading Ulyssee's, A Tale of Two Cities i'll start soon, maybe the middle of next week, and i've just finish'd T.S Elliotts waste land. Am I alone in not liking the bulk of Elliots work? i read Waste Land a few weeks back and did not like it.

But I lov'd Joyce's Portrait and Dubliners was a good read. I had to put Finnegans Wake down, ill try that book again in the Summer too many fancy words :? :lol:

I saw this topic and am curious about what everyone hear is reading and what they have alway's want'd to read but never got around to.
Why don't you really tell me how you feel!
Brave Archer

Postby Despondence » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:17 am

I think I am "reading" four or five books now, all mentioned in this or the other thread. Started on Clare, got sidetracked by Hazlitt—finished that one, then started on the Hunt biography, got sidetracked by a reread of Keats's letters in a new edition, then got sidetracked by a reread of the Divine Comedy, which got sidetracked by Milton....etc :(

Btw, Saturn - did you find/start on the "Wit in the Dungeon"? Have to say it's a bit of a diapointment so far. Not for its want of detail, but quite the contrary—feel like I'm crunching through the encyclopedia britannica or smth...bit tiresome to be honest, albeit very interesting material. Well, YMMV.

But to answer your last question, Brave Archer: I always wanted to read Proust and Kafka but never got around to. Would you recommend something of their works?
Last edited by Despondence on Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Despondence

Postby Brave Archer » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:36 am

Despondence wrote:But to answer your last question, Brave Archer: I always wanted to read Proust and Kafka but never got around to. Would you recommend something of their works?

Never heard of kafka but Proust's Swanns Way is actually a book i'd like to read eventually, and tonight sometime i'll google Kafka.
Why don't you really tell me how you feel!
Brave Archer

Postby Saturn » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:03 am

Despondence wrote:Btw, Saturn - did you find/start on the "Wit in the Dungeon"? Have to say it's a bit of a diapointment so far. Not for its want of detail, but quite the contrary—feel like I'm crunching through the encyclopedia britannica or smth...bit tiresome to be honest, albeit very interesting material. Well, YMMV.

Grrr - I've looked in all the bookshops - apparently I have to wait until it comes out in paperback :roll:

As for my own reading, I've been sidetracked by life, not other books.

Read a bit of Blake the other day - I seem to have less and less time to read these days
:cry:

That's a good sign in my life, but I still sometimes long to get engrossed in books like I used to :?
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Despondence » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:26 am

Saturn wrote:As for my own reading, I've been sidetracked by life, not other books.

You've been "sidetracked by life"....that's original. 8)
Are there any other tracks?
Despondence

Postby Saturn » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:30 am

Well I don't usually live too much:?
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Despondence » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:23 pm

Oh, well....I guess that's a matter of perspective :?

("It's life, Jim, but not as we know it.")
Despondence

Postby Despondence » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:53 am

Very long time since I was into this sort of stuff, but reading the back cover triggered something of a relapse. This may be something for you MonDoc :) While I was studying physics I devoured anything I could come across that touched upon and tried to resolve the mysteries of the universe. Rather quickly discovered that no one really had a clue what's going on anyway, and the field became a fiddler's paradise where anything goes so long as it could not be disproven. I gave it up somewhere around loop quantum gravity, or whatever.

This one, "Programming the Universe" by quantum information scientist Seth Lloyd, is a brilliantly fresh take on a notoriously intangible subject. While we here marvel at and sometimes ponder over the fantastic literary and empathic ability of certain individuals, others ask themselves how it is that the universe is at all able to produce such beautiful complexity that gives rise to, among other things, poetry.

Not that anyone here would be remotely interested....but anyway, thought I'd spread the good news :) An illuminating and very accessible read for those looking to stimulate their minds with the (cosmically) big questions.
Despondence

Postby Saturn » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:09 am

Despondence wrote:Not that anyone here would be remotely interested....but anyway, thought I'd spread the good news :) An illuminating and very accessible read for those looking to stimulate their minds with the (cosmically) big questions.

That's a bit unfair Despondence - I for one am interested in many things and have always been fascinated by astronomy and stuff like that but I've been so much in awe of it all that I've never actually read much on the subject [and I was put off by a very bad Physics teacher at school :roll: ].

I do watch lots of TV shows about physics and astronomy and have always been fascinated with time-travel, other dimensions and all the scientific possibilities of the universe - string theory is a particular head-melting concept for me :lol:

I watched a fascinating programme about Saturn the other day [yes I know - ego-centric :P] and it's moons - especially Titan, Hyperion and Promethean [ these are all aliae I have used on various forums over the years].
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Despondence » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:56 pm

Saturn wrote:That's a bit unfair Despondence -

Oh sorry, just a bit tongue-in-cheek there.. ;)

So what's the new avatar anyway? Looks like me with a hangover hah-hah! Errr...sorry, didn't mean that either, write too much crap, I do.. :(
Despondence

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous