The 'Currently reading' thread...

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: The 'Currently reading' thread...

Postby Saturn » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:43 pm

Just about to start reading Roe's new Keats biography :D
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Cybele » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:10 pm

I'm very jealous, Saturn!
I'm afraid I must be satisfied for the time being with little orts dropped to us mere mortals via Facebook.
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Cybele » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:44 pm

Annnnnnnddddd . . . I just received an email from Amazon telling me that my copy of the book is on the UPS truck, making its way ever so slowly to my door. I'm literally sitting in the kitchen, waiting for a knock announcing its arrival.

Yay! \o/
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:42 pm

It'll be worth the wait, it is excellent on Keats' childhood and early years, I've currently read up to just before he meets Hunt in 1816. A lot of information on his Father, mother and the chancery case that is either new or not as fully explored in other biographies.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:54 pm

Hope the sources for this" new information" are listed.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Ennis » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:17 pm

Saturn wrote:It'll be worth the wait, it is excellent on Keats' childhood and early years, I've currently read up to just before he meets Hunt in 1816. A lot of information on his Father, mother and the chancery case that is either new or not as fully explored in other biographies.

Saturn, that's about where I am in the book, although I did "cheat" a little and read the opium sections!!
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Cath » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:48 pm

Have just started Claire Tomalin's biography of Hardy (2006). There are some references to Keats and poems to him to look forward to :D .
"Why should we be owls, when we can be Eagles?" (Keats to Reynolds, 3 February 1818)
Cath
Calidore

Postby Cath » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:55 pm

Romantic biographer Richard Holmes - who wrote huge tomes on Shelley and Coleridge and really should be getting on to our beloved Keats - has a new book out on the Romantic pioneers of hot-air ballooning:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/apr/22/falling-upwards-richard-holmes-review
http://www.harpercollins.co.uk/Titles/58602/falling-upwards-richard-holmes-9780007386925

Currently reading....in my dreams.... *swoons*
Last edited by Cath on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Why should we be owls, when we can be Eagles?" (Keats to Reynolds, 3 February 1818)
Cath
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:04 pm

A new Holmes tome should always be greeted with celebration. Not only the finest literary biographer around for my money, one of the finest writers in the English language anywhere in the last 40 years. Will look forward to that. And yes hopefully one day he may turn his genius to Keats!
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:20 pm

Currently just started Thomas Carlyle's sprawling, poetic history of the French Revolution.

Have Shelley's letters and Statius' Thebaid to look forward to after that.

Much as I wish Amazon wasn't the bookshop-closing behemoth it is, for finding those books you've searched the second hand book shops for years to no avail it can't be beaten.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Cybele » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:36 am

Cath wrote:Romantic biographer Richard Holmes - who wrote huge tombs on Shelley and Coleridge and really should be getting on to our beloved Keats - has a new book out on the Romantic pioneers of hot-air ballooning:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/apr/22/falling-upwards-richard-holmes-review
http://www.harpercollins.co.uk/Titles/58602/falling-upwards-richard-holmes-9780007386925

Currently reading....in my dreams.... *swoons*

Hurray! Oh, I know it will be wonderful! The part about ballooning in "Age of Wonder" was brilliant!
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:30 am

Yes, and if anyone hasn't read 'Age of wonder' I would say beg, steal or borrow it now, it's a surprising and fascinating look at some forgotten history and the heroes of the Age of Enlightenment and the industrial revolution.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Cath » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:38 am

Saturn wrote: Currently just started Thomas Carlyle's sprawling, poetic history of the French Revolution."

Saturn, I admire the eclecticism and ambitiousness of your reading! Many would be put off by Carlyle's humongous work & difficult style.

Have you visited Carlyle's house in Chelsea? http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/carlyles-house/ I went last year out of curiosity and it was great - really interesting to learn about his marriage & circle and the staff were genuinely nice & very informative. Well worth a visit for those who enjoyed Keats's House in Hampstead.
Cath
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:53 pm

Sounds interesting. Yeah, Carlyle is a bit of a challenge, it's very rich and rewarding read though, and something I've always wanted to read. Don't know if I'll ever get the chance to go to London again, but if I do I may very well check it out.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:32 pm

I am reading about Beethoven and his Eternal Beloved- Josephine Brunsvik- their love story was every bit as tragic as John Keats and Fanny Brawne's.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous