The 'Currently reading' thread...

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Confession Time

Postby Malia » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:41 pm

I must confess. I have been on a serious Keats book-buying binge for the last few months.

Let's see. . .since December or January I've bought:
The Cambridge Companion to Keats
A Doctor's Life of John Keats
Junkets on a Sad Planet
Intimations of Immortality
Darkling I Listen
And just last night I bought the newest collection of Keats's Letters (ed. by Scott)

Add to this the book I bought over the summer--
Bicentennial Essays on Keats

And that's 7 books! Yikes.

There are two others I want:
Keats and Embarrassment and
Keats as Doctor and Patient

But they are prohibitively expensive (I have a cap on how much I will spend on a Keats book and it is well below the 80-some bucks they're asking for Keats and Embarrassment.)

I also want to buy a DVD copy of Andrew Motion's Omnibus program "The Last Journey of John Keats" wherein he details Keats's journey to Rome and talks about his last days there. He even travels to Italy himself in the same kind of ship Keats travelled in--pretty cool. But it is $80--for a one hour show. The reason it is so expensive is that you get viewing rights (if you want to play it in public for a crowd or in a classroom). Anyway, I probably won't be plunking down that kind of money anytime soon--even for Keats :)

Ah, I feel better now--having confessed. :lol:
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:49 pm

As they say where I come form "For flip's sake!!!" you are the most dedicated fan here :shock:

Are you sure you don't want my job here?

I'm so hopelessly unqualified compared to you :?
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:59 pm

Saturn wrote:As they say where I come form "For flip's sake!!!" you are the most dedicated fan here :shock:

Are you sure you don't want my job here?

I'm so hopelessly unqualified compared to you :?

Dedicated? Probably more like "deranged" :lol: I'm a serious "Keats-o-phile" but I don't by any means think I am more qualified to talk about him than anyone here--I don't teach a class on Keats or anything like that--he just grabs my interest--a lot!
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:51 pm

Deranged is such a negative term :wink:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:53 am

Well, I've finished North and South (which I am thorougly in love with. . . though I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that I am also head-over-heels in love with the "leading man", Mr. Thornton :wink:), and am about halfway through my next read, A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers. Talk about night and day!
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:05 am

I've barely looked at a book since last Tuesday when I read a bit of William Blake - keep meaning to get back to it but it all seems pointeless - why read?
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Despondence » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:49 pm

Saturn wrote:I've barely looked at a book since last Tuesday when I read a bit of William Blake - keep meaning to get back to it but it all seems pointeless - why read?

Well, if you don't feel like reading, then don't :) Simple as that. Though if you're mainly feeling bored with the section of the library that you've been perusing for many years, it's time to try something radically different, strike out for new realms of possibility. Something that you couldn't imagine yourself ever wanting to read. You may be surprised at what you discover about yourself if you tried!

Instead of constantly climbing upwards on the ladder of literary refinement and class, maybe drop down a few steps, read some cheap pulp, scifi or fantasy, or some cool graphics novels - get the collected Calvin & Hobbes, for instance (or Preacher, which I mentioned before). Personally, I can't read all this super intellectual high-minded poetry stuff all the time; I need to relax with some literary silliness regularly, or I'd go nuts.

(Incidentally, if you send me your address I'll put the Potter paperbacks in the mail for you tomorrow :lol: )
Despondence

Postby Credo Buffa » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:57 am

Now reading I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith. Thoroughly enjoying it.
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Despondence » Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:50 am

Oscar Wilde, "The Picture of Dorian Gray"

Got tickets for the Boston Court adaptation on wednesday (yay!), and not having read this one since high school, a refresher is long overdue.
Despondence

Postby Credo Buffa » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:11 am

Despondence wrote:Oscar Wilde, "The Picture of Dorian Gray"

ooooooo. That's a good one.
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Despondence » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:04 am

Riotous; yet speaks to the core on so much--I'm quite unable to put it down.

Wonder if there might be one of those pseudo-personality-tests available somewhere on the web, that tells you which of the characters you are... :lol: I'm afraid I'd probably be a Basil.. :?
Despondence

Postby Despondence » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:44 am

Malia wrote:I'm a serious "Keats-o-phile" but I don't by any means think I am more qualified to talk about him than anyone here--I don't teach a class on Keats or anything like that--

I rather think you should :) I'd certainly subscribe to a Keats 101 put together by you!

And to comment on the books & prices etc you spied out: sure, they're more than your average 3rd revised penguin paperback edition, but I trust you've looked around to ascertain that they're really not to be obtained in any other way? So maybe they're actually worth it, and comparing prices sometimes isn't really apples to apples where rare or out-of-print editions are concerned. Or maybe it is worth it for obtaining them now, rather than waiting and hoping for chance to bring a used copy around to suit your spending ceiling? In any case: I think putting a cap on your cost per book out of a principle is a bad idea -- sort of like saying "curb your enthusiasm", isn't it? Don't put a cap on your enthusiasm :)
Despondence

Postby Malia » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:04 pm

I rather think you should :) I'd certainly subscribe to a Keats 101 put together by you!

Wow, I'm truly flattered by the compliment, Despondence. Just the thought of anyone *willingly* wanting to listen to me talk about Keats for an hour or more (without being bullied or bribed into it! :lol:) is wonderful.

In any case: I think putting a cap on your cost per book out of a principle is a bad idea -- sort of like saying "curb your enthusiasm", isn't it? Don't put a cap on your enthusiasm :)

Oh, your logic is sooo tempting! Frankly, that's the kind of thinking I normally have--but if I'm ever going to be able to afford living on my own while working part time and going full time to grad school (which I'll be doing in not so many months)--I'm going to have to curb my enthusiasm a little bit--whether I like it or not. :roll:
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Despondence » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:23 pm

Malia wrote:Oh, your logic is sooo tempting!

Well you know what they say: "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it" :D

Malia wrote: working part time and going full time to grad school (which I'll be doing in not so many months)--

Yikes. That's going to be tough, but it certainly helps if the motivation is there, and it sounds like you've got that in spades :) Well good luck!
Despondence

Postby Saturn » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:43 pm

I'm currently reading a photocopied article from a medical textbook:

'Cognitive therapy for personailty Disorders'

Recommended by my psychologist.

The sub-heading is 'A client's guide to Schema-focused cognitive therapy'.

I have to see her tomorrow and explain all my problems in three quarters of an hour after reading this :?
Saturn
Forum Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous