Brokeback Mountain

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Brokeback Mountain

Postby Malia » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:07 am

Has anyone out there seen Brokeback Mountain? I just saw it on Saturday--it was excellent! Heath Ledger was especially outstanding in the title role. He deserves an Oscar. When I went to see it, the theatre was mostly filled with older women (as in aged 50+) and toward the end of the film you could hear everyone whipping out their hankies! LOL I admit, the last scene left tears in *my* eyes and, as I'd already read the short story it was based on and knew what was going to happen, I was amazed that it touched me as much as it did. This is a story about chances not taken, about a love that comes around once in a lifetime--if you're lucky--and that love's ability to change a person's life in a positive way even after you think all your chances had run dry.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:27 pm

Haven't seen it yet, but we're finally getting it at the cinema where I work next weekend (I've been holding out because I can see movies for free there). I'm really excited to see it!
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Malia » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:47 am

Let me know how you liked the film once you've seen it :) I thought Heath Ledger's performance was brilliant--he absolutely nailed that role. The short story is a good read, too, and can be pretty easily found on line.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:12 am

Well, I finally saw it yesterday! I must say, it's very interesting working at the theatre and monitoring people's reactions, both before and after seeing the film. I've seen people everything from disgust that such a movie has even been made, tears and tissues, and frustration that the movie was "all about sex" (which aside from being totally not true is, I sincerely doubt, a comment they would have made had it been a 100% heterosexually-oriented film). It's been pleasantly surprising to see groups of young women and elderly couples coming in to see it as well. It's wonderful knowing that it's reaching such a wide audience.

Anyhow, on to the film itself. I felt like it moved a bit too slowly, but the unique ground covered by the story generally made up for it. It's really the ultimate example of unfulfillable longing. Heath Ledger's character was particularly powerful, seeking happiness anywhere but almost refusing to accept it when he has it right in front of him. His last scenes were amazing. . . I love the symbolism of the two shirts :)
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Return to Miscellaneous