Exciting new TV series tonight!!

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Exciting new TV series tonight!!

Postby Saturn » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:07 am

For those of you in the U.K. and Ireland and able to recieve BBC programmes there is a very intersting new docu-drama on the Romantic Poets tonight at 8pm [G.M.T]

Historian and author Peter Ackroyd [author of biographies of William Blake and Shakespeare] presents a three part series on the Romantic poets from the 1770s to the 1830s including of course Blake, Coleridge, Wordsworth, Byron, Shelley, and our own beloved Keats.
Last edited by Saturn on Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:54 pm

I'd like a copy of whatever you can put together, Stephen. Or, if it's something we can download from a sharefile (even if it's just an audio file) that would be great. I'm interested to see what kind of person they get to represent Keats. In every dramatic representation I've seen (and I think that's been two in total), he was a man in his 40's--at least! (Kinda depressing.)

When I lived in England about 10 years ago, the Keats bi-centennial was in full swing and I remember seeing a really cool BBC Omnibus production about Keats done by Andrew Motion. He took us on a journey of Keats's last days to Italy and even travelled on the same sort of boat the Maria Crowther was. It was a pretty interesting piece.

One thing I remember fondly about being in England was the BBC programs--especially the radio plays on BBC 4. I always thought if the English did one thing right it was the way in which they revered (and revere) their literary history and almost make heros out of their authors.

Postby Saturn » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:35 pm

Is that you not signing in AGAIN Malia?

I've just finished watching the programme and it's press was quite misleading - there was no drama in it at all really - it was a pretty standard 'talking heads' kind of documentary with actors reading lines of poetry, not even in costume, or looking anything like the authors concerned.

This first part was about the French Revolution and the effect it had on world politics and literature and focused on Voltaire, Rousseau and Paine in the first half, and Blake, Wordsworth and Coleridge in it's second half.

Here's a link for more information about the progrmame:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/romantics/ima ... erty_4.jpg
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:18 am

Yes, sadly, that was me not signing in again. But I *thought* I was logged it--I'd checked the special "keep me logged in box" a few days ago and didn't have any problems. . .then suddenly, I wasn't checked in.

Anyway! Sorry to hear that the program wasn't exactly what you expeced. Thanks for the link about it, though:)

Was anything really new or interesting said by the "talking heads"?
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:32 pm

Nothing revelatory or surprising at all.

It was pretty much an idiots guide to the period which anyone who knows a bit more about the era would be very unsatisfied with.

I suppose it is aimed at those who do know nothing about the post-revolutionary movement or Romantic poetry.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:07 am

Oh darn! :(
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:19 am

It's not that it's particuarly BAD or anything like that, just nothing out of the ordinary.

I'm just disappointed that it wasn't a 'docu-drama' as advertised with actors playing the roles in full costume etc. I was looking forward to seeing who would play Keats, Shelley, Byron etc.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Here's my review of the second two episodes

Postby Saturn » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:42 am

If you missed this on the other thread:

Last week's episode was surprisingly effective as it explored the Romantics' rebellion against the Industrial Revolution and mechanisation.

It focused mostly on Blake, poignantly exploring the outrage he felt at the exploitation of children.
Wordsworth and Coleridge made up the rest of the programme and it was very powerful in conveying the great disillusion of the early Romantics with the French Revolution, particularly Wordsworth.

Tonight's final part was the best of them all [as it heavily featured Keats of course]. Keats was rightly shown as a very different Romantic poet than Byron [portrayed as a pleasure loving self-publicist] and Shelley [an idealistic radical exponent of free-love] and Keats who abandoned Science and wished to heal with words.

Keats was played by a young actor who, although not similar looking to Keats, managed to convey something of his sensitivity which was quite pleasing.

There were readings from Hyperion, Ode On a Nightingale, Ode On A Grecian Urn and some of the letters.

The Keats House Hampstead was shown, as was the Keats-Shelley Memorial House in Rome. One slight quibble I have was that they said that Keats's epitaph was one chosen by himself. By my recolllection Keats wanted a very different epitaph than "Here lies one whose name was writ in water'.

Answers on a postcard - I can't remember what he wanted himself.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Return to Miscellaneous