Share a quote

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Saturn » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:31 pm

"Every noble work is at first impossible."

- Thomas Carlyle
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:33 pm

It was too hard to pick one quote form this magnificent novel so here's a few which made me think:

-Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse:

“It was absurd, it was impossible. One could not say what one meant.”
Pt I, ‘The Window’, Ch. 4, P 24.

“…the number of men who make a definite contribution to anything whatsoever is very small…”
P 28.

“It was sympathy he wanted to be assured of his genius, first of all, and then to be taken within the circle of life, warmed and soothed, to have his senses restored to him, his bareness made fertile…”

“He must be assured that he too lived in the heart of life; was needed; not here only, but all over the world.”
Ch. 7, P 43.

“If Shakespeare had never existed, he asked, would the world have differed much from what it is today? Does the progress of civilisation depend upon great men? Is it the lot of the average human being better now than in the time of the Pharaohs? Is the lot of the average human being, however, he asked himself, the criterion by which we judge the measure of civilisation?”
Ch. 8, Pgs. 48-9.

“They became part of that unreal but penetrating and exciting universe which is the world seen through the eyes of love. The sky stuck to them; the birds sang through them.”

“…life, from being made up of little separate incidents which one lived one by one, became curled and whole like a wave which bore one up with it and threw one down with it, there, with a dash on the beach.”
Ch. 9, P 53.

“…she felt this thing that she called life terrible, hostile, and quick to pounce on you if you gave it a chance. There were the eternal problems: suffering; death; the poor.”
Ch. 10, P 66.

“To be silent; to be alone. All the being and the doing, expansive, glittering, vocal, evaporated; and one shrank, with a sense of solemnity, to being oneself a wedge-shaped core of darkness, something invisible to others.”

“When life sank down for a moment, the range of experience seemed limitless.”

“Beneath it is all dark, it is all spreading, it is unfathomably deep; but now and again we rise to the surface and that is what you see us by.”
Ch. 11, P 69.

“It was odd, she thought, how if one was alone, one leant to things, inanimate things; trees, streams, flowers; felt they expressed one; felt they became one; felt they knew one, in a sense were one; felt an irrational tenderness…”
P 70.

“What does one live for? Why, one asked oneself, does one take all these pains for the human race to go on? Is it so very desirable? Are we attractive as a species?”

“…friendships, even the best of them, are frail things. One drifts apart.”
Ch. 17, P 97.

“…from the dawn of time odes have been sung to love; wreathes heaped and roses; and if you asked nine people out of ten they would say they wanted nothing but this; while the women…would all the time be feeling, this is not what we want; there is nothing more tedious, puerile, and inhuman than love; yet it is also beautiful and necessary.”
Ch. 17, P 112.

“But what after all is one night? A short space, especially when the darkness dims so soon, and so soon a bird sings, a cock crows, or a faint green quickens, like a turning leaf, in the hollow of the wave. Night, however succeeds to night. The winter holds a pack of them in store and deals them evenly with indefatigable fingers. They lengthen; they darken. Some of them hold aloft clear planets, plates of brightness.”
Pt. II, ‘Time Passes’, Ch. 3, P 139.

“It was a miserable machine, an inefficient machine, she thought, the human apparatus for painting or for feeling; it always broke down at the critical moment; heroically, one must force it on.”
Pt. III, ‘To the Lighthouse’, Ch 11, Pgs. 209-10.

“They only mumbled at each other on staircases; they looked up at the sky and said it will be fine or it won’t be fine. But this was one way of knowing people, she thought: to know the outline, not the detail…”
P 211.

“Half ones notions of other people were, after all, grotesque. They served private purposes of one’s own.”
P 214.
Last edited by Saturn on Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:13 pm

Great choices, Saturn. I love Virginia Woolf. I especially love her musings on Shakespeare's daughter... :shock:

And no, Saturn--you DO quote the right things at the right time...take the compliment, man. :?
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:44 pm

dks wrote:
And no, Saturn--you DO quote the right things at the right time...take the compliment, man. :?

I never recieve compliments, only give them :?
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:34 am

Uh. Ok. :|
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:08 pm

The fear of abundant luxury in The West corrupting us is not a new concern:

“O how your century deceives you,
If you think honey is sweeter than cash
Even in Saturnus’ reign I hardly saw anyone
Whose soul did not respond to sweet lucre.
In time, love of possessions grew. Now at its height,
It can scarcely proceed any further.
Wealth has more value now than in earlier times,
When people were poor, when Rome was new,
When a little hut contained Quirinus, child of Mars.
And river grass supplied a tiny bed.”

-Ovid, Fasti, Bk. I, 192-200.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:41 am

'Tis easy enough to be pleasant,
When life flows along like a song;
But the man worth while is the one who will smile
When everything does dead wrong;
For the test of the heart is trouble,
And it always comes with the years,
But the smile that is worth the praise of earth
Is the smile that comes through tears.
. . . .
But the virtue that conquers passion,
And the sorrow that hides in a smile--
It is these that are worth the homage of earth,
For we find them but once in a while.
~Ella Wheeler Wilcox, Worth While~
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:07 pm

“Anything in any way beautiful derives its beauty from itself, and asks nothing beyond itself. Praise is no part of it, for nothing is made worse or better by praise. This applies even to the more mundane forms of beauty: natural objects, for example, or works of art. What need has true beauty of anything further? Surely none; any more than law, or truth, or kindness, or modesty. Is any of these embellished by praise, or spoiled by censure? Does the emerald lose its beauty for lack of admiration? Does gold, or ivory, or purple? A lyre or a dagger, a rosebud, or a sapling?”
~Marcus Aurelius, Meditations Bk IV xx.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Brave Archer » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:36 pm

People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freeodom of thought which they seldom use.

Soren kierkegaard

"This above all: to thine ownself be true."

Hamlet

We are such stuff as dreams are made on, rounded with a little sleep.

The Tempest
Why don't you really tell me how you feel!
Brave Archer

Postby Saturn » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:27 pm

More Marcus Aurelius:

“Adapt yourself to the environment in which your lot has been cast, and show true love to the fellow-mortals with whom destiny has surrounded you.”
Bk VI, xlix.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:34 pm

"To give up trying and do nothing because of a fear of possible failure *is* failure. In trying lies success."--MLA
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:39 pm

MLA :?:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:00 am

Saturn wrote:MLA :?:

Heh-hem! Haven't you heard of the great, all-wise MLA? MLA is yours truly (well, they are my initials, anyway! :lol:)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:05 am

:lol:

I should have known.

:roll:

Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:09 am

Saturn wrote::lol:

I should have known.

:roll:

Thinking on it, it might be fun if we all posted a quote of our own making--and I suggest it be a *positive* message. (I, for one, think our world is in need of some positive, encouraging messages!) If you all are interested in participating, please do! Why give all the quote space to dead white guys? (No offense to Keats :lol: ) We all have wisdom to share, I'm sure. :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous