Your latest book purchases.

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: Your latest book purchases.

Postby Ennis » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:35 pm

Raphael wrote:I went into a very old second hand bookshop today - the shop itself dates from 1785!!! I have been there before- the man who owns it said in the late c.18th it was a shop selling tea!

I had some time before work and I felt compelled to go and look outside, as I could see shelves of books outside- and I know what that usually means- bargain books! Well, what a bargain I found- soon as I looked the words KEATS in red capitals jumped out at me on a small beige book with a lyre on the cover.
It dates from 1941 and is part of a series The English Poets in Pictures, edited by Dorothy Wellesley.
There is a drawing of Enfield School, several portraits, a painting of Hampstead in 1821, and one Severn painting I have not seen before. It's a variation of the one of John sitting in his room in Wentworth Place. The book itself includes some poems, parts of the longer poems and some letters. The price? 50P!!!!

I can take some photos on my phone tomorrow and upload them.

I also got a biography of Oscar Wilde and a nature book for the same price.

It's a nice little volume. I think it's the book where I first saw Severn's drawing of Keats sitting on the deck of the Maria Crowther, reading and wearing a life preserver - with short hair and all! Of course, I had to buy it!
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Cath » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:51 pm

Raphael wrote:I went into a very old second hand bookshop today - the shop itself dates from 1785!!! I have been there before- the man who owns it said in the late c.18th it was a shop selling tea!

I had some time before work and I felt compelled to go and look outside, as I could see shelves of books outside- and I know what that usually means- bargain books! Well, what a bargain I found- soon as I looked the words KEATS in red capitals jumped out at me on a small beige book with a lyre on the cover.It dates from 1941 and is part of a series The English Poets in Pictures, edited by Dorothy Wellesley. There is a drawing of Enfield School, several portraits, a painting of Hampstead in 1821, and one Severn painting I have not seen before. It's a variation of the one of John sitting in his room in Wentworth Place. The book itself includes some poems, parts of the longer poems and some letters. The price? 50P!!!!

I can take some photos on my phone tomorrow and upload them.

I also got a biography of Oscar Wilde and a nature book for the same price.

Sounds like a great find, Raphael! Sometimes the best books are the ones found unexpectedly, no? Do post some pics if you get a chance :) .
"Why should we be owls, when we can be Eagles?" (Keats to Reynolds, 3 February 1818)
Cath
Calidore

Postby CasaMagni » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:01 pm

Shelley's Boat by Julian Roach.

As expected, a somewhat lightweight effort (from a writer of soaps no less!), and with little information I didn't already know, but for some reason, I can't seem to get enough of this subject... :twisted:
St. Agnes' Eve - Ah, bitter chill it was! The owl, for all his feathers, was a-cold...
CasaMagni

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous