Your latest book purchases.

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: Your latest book purchases.

Postby Raphael » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:59 pm

I've seen you mention this before Malia and meant to ask you where you read that. It's hard to believe his amazing poems could have been sold that way. In fact it's pretty awful that it wasn't seen how brilliant he was back then (of course his friends and family knew it...).
I would like to have one of those time slips back to the booksellers of 1820!
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Malia » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:03 pm

I can't remember exactly where I read that, Raphael, but I *know* I did, as it really "struck" me. It makes sense, as Keats was really a "nobody" to the masses for some years after his death--not til the first biography in the 1840's.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:50 pm

While I haven't read anything (besides the work I teach) for pleasure since finishing a novel in September, I did buy all three of this author's books-they're literary fiction mysteries-he's brilliant and his Harvard English education really does shine through in the clever banter, twisted plots, and delicious literary references that would make any English teacher squeal with delight. His name is Matthew Pearl. He's written only three novels: "The Dante Club", "The Poe Shadow", and "The Last Dickens". In "The Dante Club" three American fireside poets-Longfellow, Holmes, and Lowell end up entangled in a mystery involving a series of murders inspired by scenes from Dante's "Inferno"-some parts are a bit graphic, but it's well done...on page 250 Oliver Wendell Holmes is talking to his wife about his writing-he makes this stellar reference:

"With all the books on our library shelves," Holmes replied, "with Milton and Donne and Keats in all their fullness, why wait for me to do anything, my dear 'Melia?"

You can imagine it was like Christmas for me to read this...in any case, his second novel, "Poe Shadow" is even better...I will endeavor to pick up "The Last Dickens" during the upcoming holiday break. I believe he only publishes a novel every three years.

Forgive my long absences, guys...life is just a bit crazy...but I always find my way back to this sanctuary...I am always missing it...
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Raphael » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:23 pm

Glad to see you back and hear you are enjoying your books!
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby dks » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:55 pm

Thanks, R!! I need to just break down and put my beloved forum as a shortcut on my desktop at school...this way, evn when I'm supposed to be grading, reading, researching, or planning-I can just hop on here instead...! :wink:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Ennis » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:24 pm

dks wrote:Thanks, R!! I need to just break down and put my beloved forum as a shortcut on my desktop at school...this way, evn when I'm supposed to be grading, reading, researching, or planning-I can just hop on here instead...! :wink:

dks --

This is what I've done, and it's probably why I don't get much done at school! Of course, my excuse is that I don't have a computer at home. . . ! I'm at school now - obviously - and I should be grading that vocabulary test I gave yesterday, but . . . :wink:

Oh! I've read Pearl's Poe Shadow and I have his The Dante Club, but I haven't read it, yet. I've had it forever, and I didn't know about The Last Dickens.
Speaking of fiction with a literary twist: have you read Drood by Dan Simmons (yes, THE Dan Simmons of Hyperion and Endymion science fiction fame)? Charles Dickens and Wilkie Collins are the protagonists. It's a huge novel, but a quick and interesting read.
Speaking of Dan Simmons: he's obviously a Keats fan. I wish he'd write a novel with Our Poet in it.
Read The Casebook of Victor Frankenstein by the Romantic scholar, Peter Ackroyd. It's a work of fiction loosely based on Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, and the Monster is a thinly-veiled John Keats (he's actually a young medical student who yearns to be a poet - named Jack Keat - has a younger sister named Fanny. Go figure!!)
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:43 pm

I'd also recommend Ackroyd's novel Chatterton [yes Keats' favourite] and also Andrew Motion's novel/biography Waineright The Poisoner, where I think Keats makes a few appaearances.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Ennis » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:02 pm

Saturn wrote:I'd also recommend Ackroyd's novel Chatterton [yes Keats' favourite] and also Andrew Motion's novel/biography Waineright The Poisoner, where I think Keats makes a few appaearances.

Something new by Motion!! Thanks, Saturn, for the recommendation. I need something (in addition to Keats) to read over Thanksgiving break.
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:15 pm

It's now new, been out for about 12 years or so, well worth a read, for conjuring up that early 19th century atmosphere.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:10 am

Ennis wrote:
dks wrote:Thanks, R!! I need to just break down and put my beloved forum as a shortcut on my desktop at school...this way, evn when I'm supposed to be grading, reading, researching, or planning-I can just hop on here instead...! :wink:

dks --

This is what I've done, and it's probably why I don't get much done at school! Of course, my excuse is that I don't have a computer at home. . . ! I'm at school now - obviously - and I should be grading that vocabulary test I gave yesterday, but . . . :wink:

Oh! I've read Pearl's Poe Shadow and I have his The Dante Club, but I haven't read it, yet. I've had it forever, and I didn't know about The Last Dickens.
Speaking of fiction with a literary twist: have you read Drood by Dan Simmons (yes, THE Dan Simmons of Hyperion and Endymion science fiction fame)? Charles Dickens and Wilkie Collins are the protagonists. It's a huge novel, but a quick and interesting read.
Speaking of Dan Simmons: he's obviously a Keats fan. I wish he'd write a novel with Our Poet in it.
Read The Casebook of Victor Frankenstein by the Romantic scholar, Peter Ackroyd. It's a work of fiction loosely based on Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, and the Monster is a thinly-veiled John Keats (he's actually a young medical student who yearns to be a poet - named Jack Keat - has a younger sister named Fanny. Go figure!!)

Ooh...delicious recommendations!! But do pick up The Dante Club-you'll love it!! Yes, anything by Peter Ackroyd should be well worth reading...
dks
Dante

Postby dks » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:11 am

Saturn wrote:I'd also recommend Ackroyd's novel Chatterton [yes Keats' favourite] and also Andrew Motion's novel/biography Waineright The Poisoner, where I think Keats makes a few appaearances.

I'll have to look into this, as well...I guess I didn't realize Motion wrote fiction. Forgive my elementary lack of knowledge, all!!
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:36 am

I think it's his only novel, well it's not really fiction so to speak, more like those drama-documentaries, or historical reconstructions. A fascinating story anyway, and manages to make Waineright's bizarre life come alive in a way a standard biography couldn't.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby marwood » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:48 pm

I read recently "The Invention of Dr Cake" by Andrew Motion.
What if Keats had not died in Rome but returns to England and Set's up as a Doctor
in a small village? I enjoyed it, it's a teasing little tale where you wonder if Motion had really found some paper's left by a Dr Tabor!
I am at the moment reading his biography on Keats, I know I am probably the last person on the site to read it!
The other book you mentioned about Waineright sounds interesting Saturn, will check if it's in the library.

Take care.
Marwood.
That I might drink, and leave the world unseen.
marwood
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Saturn » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:33 pm

Just got a book token for Christmas and got Simon Armitage: Selected poems and Fall Of The West by Adrian Goldsworthy.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Cybele » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:26 am

I found the Kindle version of William Michael Rossetti's "Life of John Keats" on Amazon for only $.80.

I read the book ages ago and felt lukewarm about it then. I thought a re-read was in order, taking into account the time in which the book was written.

Alas, I'm still lukewarm, even with my professed fondness for the Pre-Raphaelites. But was it worth the 80 cents? Heck yes!
:D :D :D
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous