Your latest book purchases.

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: Your latest book purchases.

Postby Raphael » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:17 pm

Cybele wrote:I found the Kindle version of William Michael Rossetti's "Life of John Keats" on Amazon for only $.80.

I read the book ages ago and felt lukewarm about it then. I thought a re-read was in order, taking into account the time in which the book was written.

Alas, I'm still lukewarm, even with my professed fondness for the Pre-Raphaelites. But was it worth the 80 cents? Heck yes!
:D :D :D

Why lukewarm Cybele? What did Rossetti write? I know he called John a "glorious fellow"- he certainly admired him.
My latest book purchases (all from the second hand book store) from the past few weeks:

A biography on Beethoven, by the editors of Horizon magazine, 1970. It's a hard back and full of great illustrations.( £4.00)

Beethoven- Impressions By His Contemporaries, 1954. A really interesting book- great accounts of the fascinating Ludvig! (£3.50)

John Keats by Robert Gittings (I'm curently reading this- not read it before. (£2.00)

Chopin by Arthur Headly ( a biography)£2.00)

The Romantic Poets, Graham Hough, 1958. It is a discussion of the works of all the Romantic poets- so of course our J is in it. (10p)

Bright Star, Poems by and About John Keats, editor Matthew Francis,1995. (£2.00)

And the man gave me Chopin An index of His Works in Chronological Order, Maurice J E Brown, 1960 for nothing! It is of particular interest to the Chopin enthusiast as I found notes/letters from a Chopin researcher dating from 1960 inside it.

I also got a biography on the Bronte family from a discount book store (new) for £3.99.

And today I got an 1897 edition of John's poems for £3.50!!! See the thread about first editions for more details....
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:13 pm

Just bought a Copy of Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment today; one of those books that's been on my must-read list for years.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby BrokenLyre » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:41 pm

Wow - that is ambitious Saturn. I probably should get to it someday. But a friend of mine bought me two books for my birthday - "Neutrinos" (the story of how they postulated and then found the most elusive of all particles) and "The Bismark" (the story of how the British sank the great German ship in 1941). I finished the first and I am working on the second. My understanding of naval terminology is bogging me down on the second. It's also hard to get time to read as life gets in the way!
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Saturn » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:02 am

I know what you mean, I used to read two or three books a week, now it's more like one a month at best!
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:32 am

I hope you get time to read and enjoy your books gentlemen. Talking of gentlemen...today I went into the second hand book shop again today and found an old reddish brown covered book ( possibly leather not sure) with metal clasps. It looked old and intriguing so I opened it and found it is a Victorian album of photos of Victorian gentlemen from Scotland! I found it charming so I purchased it for £5. It has that old antiquey smell to it which I like.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:15 am

This afternoon again at the second hand book shop-

The Infernal World of Branwell Bronte by Daphne Du Maurier ( £1.50)

Edmund Spenser, The Faerie Queene , Macmillan & Co, London, 1909 (£6)

He gave both of them to me for £7. :D

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Fragment » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:18 pm

Audio Book of "The Great Poets: John Keats"
I'm working on a research paper. :D
Fragment

Postby Cybele » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:57 am

Currently reading "Sidetracks: Explorations of a Romantic Biographer" by Richard Holmes. I loved the section on William Godwin and Mary Wollstonecraft. I was intrigued by what Holmes wrote about Wollstonecraft's "Letters Written During a Short Residence In Sweden, Norway and Denmark," so I downloaded it before I even finished the chapter. (I received a Kindle as a retirement gift, :D and the gadget can't be beat for instant gratification. -- I love my Kindle, altho' I don't see actual physical books becoming obsolete any time soon.)
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Fragment » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:15 pm

Cybele wrote:Currently reading "Sidetracks: Explorations of a Romantic Biographer" by Richard Holmes. I loved the section on William Godwin and Mary Wollstonecraft. I was intrigued by what Holmes wrote about Wollstonecraft's "Letters Written During a Short Residence In Sweden, Norway and Denmark," so I downloaded it before I even finished the chapter. (I received a Kindle as a retirement gift, :D and the gadget can't be beat for instant gratification. -- I love my Kindle, altho' I don't see actual physical books becoming obsolete any time soon.)

I think the Kindle is a great idea, but it just doesn't beat the raaaaw smell of books (especially old, grimey ones! :D )
Fragment

Postby Saturn » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:21 am

I agree, I just can't physically read a book off a computer screen. Until they invent a reader that is as versatile and user friendly and portable as a paperback forget it. Plus you can read a book in the bath. :mrgreen:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Ennis » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:21 pm

Saturn wrote:I agree, I just can't physically read a book off a computer screen. Until they invent a reader that is as versatile and user friendly and portable as a paperback forget it. Plus you can read a book in the bath. :mrgreen:

O! so true, Saturn!! Those Kindles and Nooks are so popular with my students -- I suppose if it gets them reading when they might not originally, then there's some good in them (?).
I just bought and finished Deliver No Evil (I believe that's the title); it's historical fiction about the Salem (Massachusetts) witch trials of the 1690s. It was okay. I'm not convinced the author had a grasp on dialogue, but it's forgiven because she also authored a great piece of non-fiction about the same subject -- titled Delusions of Satan.
Needless to say, Saturn, my choices for reading pleasure are somewhat more superficial than yours (except for Keats, of course!)! More power to you with FD's Crime and Punishment. After thirty-odd years of teaching middle school English, I've left the heavier reading behind, along with lots of other things! -- at least for a while, anyway!
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:27 pm

If I get a chance to read at all these days it's rarely the heavy stuff like that, currently I'm enjoying the no less brilliant, but very silly Hitch-hiker's Guide To The Galaxy.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Ennis » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:28 pm

Hello to Everyone!

I just received a new (for me) Keats book. I really lucked up; I found a first edition (1954) of The Living Year by Robert Gittings, and one of the best things is that it's autographed by Gittings (included with the purchase was a Certificate of Authenticity!). Also, included were a couple of newspaper clippings about Gittings. I don't know if the name is in the book because it was his own personal copy and if the clippings were cut by him -- but I'm so excited!! I just wanted to share this with you, my friends. It was 25 pounds, not counting shipping (it came from an "old book" store in England) -- which is what? about 65.00 American dollars . . . ?
Gosh, I'm such a sucker for anything Keats-related. . . . !!
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:03 pm

Wow excellent! Great find Ennis!
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby keatsgrove » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:14 pm

Nice find!

That's why I'll be among the last to buy an e-reader. You don't get the bonus finds, signatures, margin scribbles, etc., of a real book. And I love the smell/feel/look of a used older book.

Congratulations!
keatsgrove

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous