Your latest book purchases.

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Saturn » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:43 pm

I guess all you **ahem** **cough** Harry Potter fans on here are creaming yourselves waiting for the weekend :wink:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:44 pm

Saturn wrote:I thought the female of the species were the best multi-taskers :wink:

It's all a big lie :lol:
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:49 pm

Another cliche disproved :lol:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:53 pm

Saturn wrote:I guess all you **ahem** **cough** Harry Potter fans on here are creaming yourselves waiting for the weekend :wink:

I am so embarrassed, I've only read book one of the series :oops: I really enjoyed it, but have been frankly too lazy to read the rest--now I feel really behind and I have to stop my ears whenever anyone talks about all the twists and turns, because I want to find out for myself, you know ;) Anyway, I guess this is it for Potter fans. What a great story! Destined to live on for years and years to come.

I could totally see Keats as a Potter fan, btw.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:02 pm

Oh controversial... methinks not :?

That's like that thing they always say "Oh if Shakespeare were alive today he would be writing Soap Operas" - I'm not tooo sure about that :?

I think its Credo who is the major HP fanatic here.

My views on this are known I won't repeat them - sufficeth to say I won't be rushing out to get the book or see the movie...
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Heaven/Hell » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:58 pm

Saturn wrote:My views on this are known I won't repeat them - sufficeth to say I won't be rushing out to get the book or see the movie...

Me neither.... "novellus disappearium!" Or something, I never watched it (I'm over 15 and I don't smoke pot. Any more).
"Language has not the power that Love indites: The Soul lies buried in the ink that writes" ~ John Clare
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Saturn » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:04 pm

I find it strange that even grown adults are reading and getting excited about what is essentially a kids book...

People are always saying isn't great that its getting kids reading?

Well no, not if the only thing they are ever going to read is Harry Potter :roll:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Heaven/Hell » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:15 pm

More grounds for anger and depression...
I have visions of J.K Rowling writing her life story and at the end going...oh, and Harry Potter - sorry about that.
"Language has not the power that Love indites: The Soul lies buried in the ink that writes" ~ John Clare
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Malia » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:31 pm

Saturn wrote:I find it strange that even grown adults are reading and getting excited about what is essentially a kids book...

People are always saying isn't great that its getting kids reading?

Well no, not if the only thing they are ever going to read is Harry Potter :roll:

I'm going to put my two cents in and state that the only real difference between a well written book for adults and a well written book for kids is the fact that the protagonist in a kid's book is generally a youth. There are SO MANY "adolescent" books that are better than myriad adult books I've read. One of the best ever is called A Single Shard--all about an orphan in ancient Korea who learns to make celedon pottery. It is pure poetry and reduced my mom, me, and even my little brother to tears. Another great "adolescent" book is a book of poems about the Great Depression called "Out of the Dust"--it is not juvenille poetry in the least. It just happens to tell the story of the Depression in Oklahoma from the perspective of a 13 year old girl. Other than that, it is adult enough for anyone. A few other amazing books written for kids include The Velveteen Rabbit and Annie and the Old One--both have touched my heart more than most adult books have. Anyway, I guess I just have a problem when people create barriers to good literature by saying such things as "Well, this was written for kids so an adult can't read it" or "It won't be good enough for an adult mind". Frankly, most of the greatest literature I've ever read came from the young adult genre.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:47 pm

Whatever to it all.

I f*cking love Harry Potter. :P :P
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:49 pm

I see I'm all alone in not falling for the HP phenomenon...

**gets up from the table, puts on his coat and leaves the discussion**

I have nothing against kids books per se Malia but I'd rather kids read a truly great Children's author like Roald Dahl :wink:

That man shaped and brightened my childhood with his wicked, wonderful and funny stories.

He didn't just write FOR children, he collaborated with them.

I've never read any other children's author who, like him, completely understood the way kids think, what they enjoy and what they fear and laugh at.

He truly was a genius.

As for Harry Potter, I'm blissfully ignorant - I totally refuse to watch or read anything to do with it.

You really can't persuade me otherwise I'm afraid :twisted:

I just heard on the news that some people have been queuing for three days to get this book :shock:

IT'S A BOOK PEOPLE - it will be there tomorrow and the day after :roll:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:48 pm

Saturn wrote:...I just heard on the news that some people have been queuing for three days to get this book :shock:

IT'S A BOOK PEOPLE - it will be there tomorrow and the day after :roll:

I concur...
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:51 pm

I've queued for concert tickets and things that are one off in short supply but a book?

It wil, be the same tomorrow as it will be next week.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:51 pm

Aw, come on now. Let people have their fun ;)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:59 pm

Standing in the rain for three days?

If that's your kind of fun.... :wink:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous