On the occasion

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

On the occasion

Postby Despondence » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:40 am

And a roarin' St. Patrick's day to ye all! Image

From the perspective of an alien immigrant in the US, this apparently amounts to green beer and jello-shots in the pub (4-5 drops of blue curaco in a corona does the trick nicely - wonder if the message got garbled somewhere along the way there..).

Also, we recently passed 500 members and 3000 posts, whoo-hoo! Congrats to us all for keeping this small community alive for four whole years (including a few lapses of healthy hibernation now and then).

All in all, calls for a lot of celebration tomorrow night! I'm looking forward to reading your introspective poems on the event later.. ;)
Despondence

Re: On the occasion

Postby Saturn » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:57 am

Despondence wrote:Image

Love that smilie :shock:

It's strange that as an Irishman myself St. Patrick's day has never been a big thing for me at all. When I was a child it just meant that for one day we were able to eat chocolate when we were supposed to have given it up as a Lenten Sacrifice. For the adults who gave up drinking they 'allowed' themselves to drown a few pints in honour of a Romano-British Christian missionary of the 5/6th Century A.D. :roll:

Anyway it's a decent excuse for a party so for today everyone can be as Irish as they like.

3000 posts and 500 members :D :D

Well we're still here as you say Despondence despite the occassional 'hibernation' :lol:

Top of the morning to you all and lots of other Irish cliches - I'm off to catch me a Leprecuan 8)
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:42 am

Congrats to everyone on the site for that great achievement! :)
As I'm 1/4 Irish, I feel obliged to celebrate St. Paddy's day and so today mom and I are having tea and soda bread. No boozing it tonight, though. I have a meeting to discuss the by-laws of my church (HUMUNGOUS yawn). Ah well, there's always tomorrow night! Good thing about America is, any time there's a good reason to party--such as a St. Patrick's Day that falls on a Friday--you can expect we'll be celebrating all weekend! :wink:
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:44 am

Irish- Americans, no matter how far removed or dubious their claim to Irishness are always good at partying :lol:

Have fun 8) :D
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:42 am

I don't have an ounce of Irish blood in me, but St. Paddy's is a favorite of mine. I know that they say "everyone is a little Irish on St. Patrick's Day," but seriously. . . I've been a huge fan of Irish folk music for years, started a Celtic music ensemble at my college, and play tin whistle and bodhran. Even my friends with Irish heritage seem less Irish than I do :P
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:06 am

Strange - you Americans out-Irish the Irish :lol:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Return to Miscellaneous