New movie in the making? [rumor]

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

New movie in the making? [rumor]

Postby Despondence » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:26 am

Came across a weird rumor today, thought I'd throw it out there to hear what's known. The short of it is: does anybody know someting of a new movie in the making, which (presumably) centers on the English romantic poets, and with Kate Winslet starring as an English teacher? I searched around a bit, checked the IMDB, but none of Kate's current projects listed there seem to fit that description, so I'm puzzled what this is all about, maybe someone knows more?

The longer story of it was the following: I was browsing around the used book stores in Pasadena today for some vintage Keats editions, and found the poetry section of the Book Alley in an odd state of affairs. Most of the usual stuff was there, but certain English romantics (notably Keats, Byron and Shelley) seemed to have been completely cleaned out, couldn't find a single title. I asked the store owner, who pointed over to a dozen-odd moving boxes stacked close to the entrance: "Sorry, they're all packed up, I'm renting them to a film studio. New movie with Kate Winslet, playing an English professor, or something - I'll have 'em back in a month, if you come back then." This sounded way cool, but the guy wouldn't tell me anything more, I think he probably didn't know so much more either. It could be that the movie is still scripting, and not actually cast yet, so maybe he just propagated a rumor that Kate would be in it. Anyway, sounds like it could be interesting, whatever it is :) (and I do hope Kate will be in it, she's so sugoi!)
Despondence

Postby Malia » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:40 am

Despondence, if your rumor proves to be truth that would be awesome! I am also a great fan of Kate Winslet--and I think she's one of the most beautiful women in the world. (You DON'T need to be stick-thin to be gorgeous!) Anyway, I wonder if it's true? Hmm. . .and would Keats get as much "show time" as Shelley?

Oh, speaking of movies about Romantic poets (or, at least movies *containing* Romantic poets) I remember in College finding an obscure little movie in the video store that was all about Percy and Mary Shelley--it was a fictional account of events leading up to the inspiration of Frankenstein. At least that's how I remember it ;) Byron--of course--had a role in the film. But of course our Keats was absent as the movie took place in Italy--at Pisa, I think. Anyway, Eric Stoltz played Shelley and I thought (though the movie wasn't so good) his Shelley was spot on. He had Shelley's fair features and kind of feminine affectation--complete with his soft-toned voice. I remember reading in one of my Keats bios that Shelley *looked* like a pushover--someone who wouldn't have a firm thought in his head. He liked to use that to his advantage--luring unsuspecting people into debate--leading them on and then crushing them with his logic.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:43 am

Malia wrote:I am also a great fan of Kate Winslet--and I think she's one of the most beautiful women in the world. (You DON'T need to be stick-thin to be gorgeous!)

Yes! Kate is a heroine for all of us who aren't shaped like Barbie. :D

I wonder what the plot of this film could be. If our main character is an English professor, could it be something like Dead Poets Society , where you have the main figure using poetry as a teaching tool? Or could be be more along the lines of Possession where your English scholars are delving into the lives and secrets of the writers?
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby dks » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:23 am

If a movie were made about Keats...who do you think would play him??

I think so much about what he actually looked like--I'm like poor Shelley waiting in the graveyard to catch a glimpse...if only I could've seen him in real life--once.

His hair was, apparently, a beautiful deep auburn and so soft that the curls were "like silk." Ahhhhh. :( :cry:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Malia » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:08 pm

dks wrote:If a movie were made about Keats...who do you think would play him??

His hair was, apparently, a beautiful deep auburn and so soft that the curls were "like silk." Ahhhhh. :( :cry:

Who knows who'd play him--probably an unknown actor--or maybe that guy who played the hobbit in lord of the rings? Oy, I haven't had my coffee yet so names are completely eluding me. . .oh! Elijah Wood! that's his name :lol: He certainly has the eyes for the part. But I think someone who is trained in Shakespearian acting would be a good choice. To be believable, he'd have to be YOUNG and SHORT (or at least appear short). If they got a tall, 40-something to play him in any kind of production, I'd gnash my teeth until sparks flew from them.

As far as hair color goes--I've seen a lock or two of Keats's hair. His haircolor as far as I can tell was light brown with some redish golden highlights. Not truly red or even auburn--but not exactly brown, either. Sort of "in between". :)

His eye color also seemed to "vary"--that is, because they were hazel colored, he could appear to have brown eyes or green eyes depending on the light.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:21 pm

We know from portraits that his hair definitely was reddish in hue--a dark red/brown-- locks of hair, once shorn, always appear darker.

Yes! The actor would HAVE to be short. When I was in London at the Globe our tour guide was about my height--5 feet, 1 inch with that reddish brown hair (wavy, too) and a crisp, British accent. My mind wandered the whole tour--I kept wondering if that's what (at least a semblance) Keats looked like.

Elijah Wood...hmmmm. I hadn't thought of him...there's potential there. Seth Green at least looks somewhat like Keats--reddish hair, aqualine nose and short in stature--too bad the most recent acting endeavor we've seen by him is in "Scooby-Doo II" :lol:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Despondence » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:02 pm

Malia wrote:Who knows who'd play him--probably an unknown actor--or maybe that guy who played the hobbit in lord of the rings? Oy, I haven't had my coffee yet so names are completely eluding me. . .oh! Elijah Wood! that's his name :lol:

Wow - that's exactly what I said in another movie related thread some time ago! Guess I wasn't totally off then :) Go Frodo Keats!
Despondence

Postby Saturn » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:31 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Kate Winslet in a movie about Keats? that would be like I had died and gone to heaven :D

I've been a massive fan of hers for many years.

My [second?] favourite actress in a film about my favourite poet??

Yes please:P

Keep us updated if you hear any more Despondence.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:54 pm

Saturn wrote::shock: :shock: :shock:
My [second?] favourite actress in a film about my favourite poet??

OK, my curiosity is up. Who's your *favorite* actress?

For me, it's a 3-way tie:
Dame Judi Dench (oy, sorry if I mutilated her name)
Kate Winslet
Emma Thompson
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:06 am

My favourite is Clare Danes :P

Emma Thompson would definitely be up there too - Howard's End, Henry V, Much Ado..., Peter's Friends, Remains Of The Day, Sense & Snesibility...so many great roles - all that and Nanny Mc Phee too
:lol:

I watched 'Wit' for the second time a few weeks ago and I can honestly say never has a performance moved me as uch as her astonishing performance in that film :shock:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:10 am

ooooh, and Helena Bonham Carter would be a fantastic Isabella Jones!!!
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:11 am

dks wrote:ooooh, and Helena Bonham Carter would be a fantastic Isabella Jones!!!

Another of my favourite actresses :shock:

Good choice :D

I never thought of her as a sexy temptress until The Wings Of The Dove - she was deliciously wicked in that role - very much how I see Isabella Jones as being.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:25 pm

Yes, "deliciously wicked" is a good phrase--she was oddly great in "Fight Club," as well...she has such a broad ranging talent. I still love her inexplicably as Lucy Honeychurch in A Room with a View...she was so young and beautiful in that role.
dks
Dante

Postby Despondence » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:37 pm

dks wrote:--she was oddly great in "Fight Club," as well..

Absolutely brilliant, and wonderful as Ophelia versus Mel Gibson in the non-Kenneth-Branagh movie version of Hamlet.
Despondence

Postby dks » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:16 pm

Oh, yes...she was a fantastic Ophelia, I thought...almost Sylvia Plath-like.

What about Keira Knightley as the mystery Vauxhall woman???
dks
Dante

Next

Return to Miscellaneous