Page 2 of 4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:50 am
by Credo Buffa
Despondence wrote:I lived on Hawaii for ~3 years before moving to the mainland, and really grew to love the place. I'm moving back in a few months :)

Cool!!! I visited Hawaii once when I was younger, and I loved it :) Beautiful place. How does one get any work done, though, when you're always so close to perfect beaches and nice, warm ocean?

That "Hapuna Sunset" picture is so beautiful! The colors are amazing :D I also love the one through your sunglasses. . . inspired idea!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:12 am
by Despondence
Credo Buffa wrote:
Despondence wrote:I lived on Hawaii for ~3 years before moving to the mainland, and really grew to love the place. I'm moving back in a few months :)

Cool!!! I visited Hawaii once when I was younger, and I loved it :) Beautiful place. How does one get any work done, though, when you're always so close to perfect beaches and nice, warm ocean?

It's a challenge... But the air of the place really energizes you, and the aloha sets your spirit at ease. Besides, I find that I'm not getting a lot of work done here in any case :( which may be because I miss the place :)

Credo Buffa wrote:That "Hapuna Sunset" picture is so beautiful! The colors are amazing

I think I have about a hundred sunset photos....my camera was quite enamored with sunsets for a time there. Maybe I should make web site.. :lol: But I liked that one in particular because of the mysterious glow in the middle of the picture...like embers on the waves. To this day, I can not quite explain how that came about (although being fairly educated in optic and physics..).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:00 am
by Credo Buffa
Alrighty, here are some images from fabulous Minnesota/Wisconsin:

Image
This is out of a back window at my house during our last big snow storm just last month! That thing on the hook is actually a bird feeder :P You can sort of see some of the pines drooping under the weight of the snow in the background as well. Later that day, one of them actually snapped in half, poor tree :(

Image
This is on the St. Croix river, from the Wisconsin side looking over to the Minnesota side. There's still a little ice on the river (this was taken about two and a half weeks ago).

Image
Another one from the river with some gulls and mallards. The water is high, spilling up over the pavement because of all the melting snow/rain.

Image
From the bluffs overlooking the river valley.

Image
From the car. Marvel at the flatness.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:07 am
by Malia
Great pics, Credo! Wow, that is a LOT of snow. Around here, we call school off if we get an inch or two (I know, we're babies!)

I definitely marvel at the flatness of your country. ;)

The only "scary" weather we get where I live are dust storms. And the occasional ice storm.

We also have radioactive tumbleweeds. . .but that's another story.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:24 am
by Credo Buffa
Radioactive tumbleweeds? :? :shock:

Malia wrote:Around here, we call school off if we get an inch or two (I know, we're babies!)

We got a foot of snow from this storm and I'm still pretty sure that my home town didn't call of school (though they should have, it was almost impossible to drive because the snow was falling so fast that the plows couldn't keep up). We shrug our shoulders and move on at just a couple of inches :P :roll:

Malia wrote:The only "scary" weather we get where I live are dust storms. And the occasional ice storm.

Blizzards aren't really scary, unless you're driving in them (which I've done and really do not recommend) :shock: They're actually a nice excuse to just not go to school/work and just hang out at home in the warm snuggness of your house with some hot chocolate and a good book :)

We've had an ice storm or two in my memory. The really scary stuff is in the summer, though: severe thunderstorms, flash floods (not so much where I live 'cause it's a bit hillier, but elsewhere in the area), and tornadoes. :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:34 am
by Malia
Credo Buffa wrote:Radioactive tumbleweeds? :? :shock:


Yes, and radioactive rabbits, as well. :lol: I live near the Hanford Nuclear Reservation and there is a certain amount of radiation within the boundaries of the reservation. BUT I must stress that the amount of radiation found in both tumbleweed and rabbit is EXTREMELY LOW and can't cause harm to anyone. They have to monitor these things, of course, and so we have numbers on them. They used to spraypaint the radioactive tumbleweeds so you'd know one when you saw it--but they don't do that anymore.

There's no chance that we'll be having "Warerabbits" or mutant tumbleweeds threatening our community anytime soon :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:38 am
by Credo Buffa
Malia wrote:They used to spraypaint the radioactive tumbleweeds so you'd know one when you saw it--but they don't do that anymore.

So they just let radioactive tumbleweeds roll around? They couldn't just. . . well. . . corral them or something?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:43 am
by Malia
They don't need to paint them as the radiation level is well below harmful levels. They, in fact, AREN'T harmful. You can touch them without problem. And you'd have to eat quite a few before you developed radiation poisoning ;)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:00 am
by Credo Buffa
Then what was the point in painting them in the first place?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:20 am
by Fortuna
Credo Buffa wrote:Then what was the point in painting them in the first place?


Well then maybe if people DID eat them, they can't say they weren't warned. :wink:

Credo, I loved your photographs. I've never seen snow so to see that first photo just blanketed in snow was breathtaking.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:27 am
by Credo Buffa
Fortuna wrote:
Credo Buffa wrote:Then what was the point in painting them in the first place?


Well then maybe if people DID eat them, they can't say they weren't warned. :wink:

Maybe that's how the rabbits became radioactive. . . :lol:

Do they glow in the dark, Malia? :P

Fortuna wrote:Credo, I loved your photographs. I've never seen snow so to see that first photo just blanketed in snow was breathtaking.

That's another thing that amazes me about the world: how many people have never seen snow! I can't imagine living in a place that didn't have snow.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:49 am
by Fortuna
Credo Buffa wrote:Maybe that's how the rabbits became radioactive. . . :lol:


Poor rabbits, they'd become a shining beacon of fluffy light for their predators. I have a pet rabbit myself, his name is Lord Byron but I'd love it if he was glow-in-the-dark, I wouldn't have to keep stubbing my toe on his cage at night.

Credo Buffa wrote:That's another thing that amazes me about the world: how many people have never seen snow! I can't imagine living in a place that didn't have snow.


Well hopefully that will change soon. Winter is my favourite season and I've always wanted to leave somewhere cooler, among the mountains. Just as well because Sydney property prices are ridiculously high! Houses along the coast will hardly settle for anything less than a couple of million. :?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:52 am
by Credo Buffa
Fortuna wrote:I have a pet rabbit myself, his name is Lord Byron but I'd love it if he was glow-in-the-dark, I wouldn't have to keep stubbing my toe on his cage at night.

A glow in the dark rabbit named Lord Byron!!!!!!!! Bwa ha ha!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can think of nothing more fabulous.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:58 am
by Fortuna
Credo Buffa wrote:A glow in the dark rabbit named Lord Byron!!!!!!!! Bwa ha ha!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can think of nothing more fabulous.


Well he is quite fabulous without the glow-in-the-dark coat for now :D.

Image

Oh dear, pet owners are horrible aren't they?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:00 am
by Credo Buffa
Lord Byron the bunny. . . that's just about the cutest thing ever.