Happy News

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby dks » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:05 pm

I may have already mentioned this, but I can't remember. As you all may know, I'm toiling away trying to finish my thesis before summer's end. I miss this place so much--I have endeavored to try and post more every week--I've been so absent...much to all your glee, I'm sure! :P

Anyway, James Wannerton of the UK Synaesthesia Assoc. has asked me to present my finished thesis at the UK Syn conference in England in 2008. I am honored and now scared to death, but I hope it all comes together. I just wanted to share that with all of you--all of you who make up this sanctuary.

I have a poem that is coming together and I'll post it soon...sorry, folks...I've been going through some strange career crisis--I think I'm just done with teaching in the high school classroom--I'm no rule hound, as you all know, and it's time I do something else--I've done my two years! I can begin teaching as an adjunct professor after the fall semester--but that's only part-time. If I can't find anything else this summer while I'm off, then I'll have to teach there one more year, but I am trying to find a main-stay to pay the bills and become a job that I may enjoy, even if it is something of a career change. I just want to keep writing (for my own sake--not necessarily to send my proverbial poetic lambs to the publishing slaughter) and loving/studying/reading Keats and the Romantics/Transendentalists--is that so much to ask? Why can't I find a job that will pay me to do these things!??

I'm such an English major...! :roll: :oops: :lol:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby AsphodelElysium » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:07 pm

Congratulations!!!! I'm sure you will have a great time and everything will work out fine. I totally feel you on the job thing. I've been searching for something for a months now. I have this fear that I'm going to get stuck in something where I either won't have time for my Romantics or that the job will somehow suck all those thoughts from my head and I'll forget everything I learned. Have you been having any anxiety like that or is it just me? None of my other friends seem to be suffering, so I don't know if that is the English major in me or the paranoia.

Congrats, again! That is a big accomplishment. :D
"Let me not wander in a barren dream,
But, when I am consumed in the fire,
Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire."
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:41 pm

dks wrote: I just want to keep writing (for my own sake--not necessarily to send my proverbial poetic lambs to the publishing slaughter) and loving/studying/reading Keats and the Romantics/Transendentalists--is that so much to ask? Why can't I find a job that will pay me to do these things!??

I'm such an English major...! :roll: :oops: :lol:

I'd like to know that answer too :wink:

Congratulations Denise, that is an awesome [in the original meaning of that word of course] achievement and you and your family and loved ones and myself and everyone else here are proud of you too.
You should be immensely proud of such a great honour.

And of course you have been greatly missed here and not just by me I'm sure of that, no glee is involved.

On the job front I know better than anyone how difficult it is to get a job, and I wouldn't worry in your position you seem to be eminently qualified for any number of things, - the world is your ostrich

:lol:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:27 am

I TURNED IN MY DISSERTATION TODAY!!!!!!!! :D
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby dks » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:39 am

Thanks, Stephen...thanks also to you, AE for the words of encouragement...I'll push through the job crisis...if anything, I'll be teaching in the high school classroom (my high school classroom) again in the fall--and I'll get to teach Keats again--I mustn't forget that honor...

I'm sending my resume out to a number of places, so we'll see what happens...I'll keep everyone posted...

HUZZAH, CREDO!!!!!!!!!!! The weight of the entire world has been ceremoniously lifted from your aching shoulders, I'm certain. :!: :!:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Credo Buffa » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:41 am

dks wrote:HUZZAH, CREDO!!!!!!!!!!! The weight of the entire world has been ceremoniously lifted from your aching shoulders, I'm certain. :!: :!:

Ha ha, well, not quite. . . I have to find a job now too!

. . . again. :roll:
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:32 pm

Credo Buffa wrote:
dks wrote:HUZZAH, CREDO!!!!!!!!!!! The weight of the entire world has been ceremoniously lifted from your aching shoulders, I'm certain. :!: :!:

Ha ha, well, not quite. . . I have to find a job now too!

. . . again. :roll:

Always the problem, but I'm sure you'll be fine.

Congratulations also - I could never do a dissertation, I'm far too stoopid and lazy even if I had wanted to do one :lol:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:41 pm

Congrats to you, Credo! You will get that job--I'm sure of it :) ***sending good vibes your way***
And I'm sending good vibes to you, too, dks. I think it is laudable that you are following your heart and your dreams--it takes such courage to go out in search of your true calling in life. I admire you both for taking steps to do the work you are truly called to do in life, rather than just punching a time card, you know what I mean?

I know everything will work out for the both of you!
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:52 pm

Indeed :D

May you both find success in whatever you choose to do.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby AsphodelElysium » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:32 am

Congrats, Credo! That is wonderful news. The best of luck to everyone! :D
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

A poem to be published in ritzy academic magazine!

Postby redan » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:09 pm

Been a while since I checked in here at Keats-ville. I just had a poem accepted for Western Humanites Review. Once in the pipeline, it takes about a year for anything to appear in a top of the food chain journal like that. You get first class service though, an advance side, a tiny check +/- $100. When I know what issue etc I'll check back in with details.

I used to appear quite a bit in hoity-toity mags, but this is the first time in ten years. (I don't send poems out, just ran into the editor in Manhattan :wink: )
redan

Postby Saturn » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:01 pm

Wow ladies and gents we have a published author amongst us :shock:

Congratulations redan you're living the dream I dream of.

Can you share the poem with us or do we have to buy the journal? :lol:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:03 am

Very cool! Congratulations! :D
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby AsphodelElysium » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:53 am

Congrats!
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby redan » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:09 pm

I cannot print the poem here. But I posted some poems here over the past year; I don't write many poems anymore, and almost every one I've written has been published- so there's technical copyright issues....

Thanks everyone for your good wishes.
redan

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous