Muses and artisst- who would JK admire of today's?

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Muses and artisst- who would JK admire of today's?

Postby Raphael » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:34 pm

What poets/musicians/composers/writers of the late c 20th and c 21st do you think he would like and why? I'll start with two- I think he might like Bjork ( as her capacity for displaying passion matches his and her themes are explorative, deep, magical and passionate)- once he had got over the shock of modern women's expression that is !
I think he'd also like Sigur Ros for similar reasons.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Re: Muses and artisst- who would JK admire of today's?

Postby Malia » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:59 pm

That is an intriguing question, Raphael. Given what we know of Keats (and, of course, taking into account any cultural, time-and-space bridges that he'd have to cross), I can see him being a real fan of musical theatre. For some reason Phantom of the Opera and Les Mis come to mind. I could see him just blown away by those two shows.

I started thinking of what kinds of musicians/groups he might enjoy, too. First thing that came to my head was Queen--but Queen has been uppermost in my mind for the last month now (I'm on a serious Queen binge for some reason only my subconscious mind can understand :roll: :lol: ). But then I thought that Byron would really be more the man for Queen, don't you think? The theatrics and "glam" seem to speak of Byron more than Keats. I could actually see Byron wearing spandex suits with the chests cut out of them ala Freddie Mercury.

A while back, (as in three years ago! :lol: ) I wrote on the forum that I thought Keats would really get something out of Bon Jovi, especially "You Give Love a Bad Name"--I could see him clinging to that song during one of his fever fits of jealousy over Fanny Brawne.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:37 pm

That is an intriguing question, Raphael. Given what we know of Keats (and, of course, taking into account any cultural, time-and-space bridges that he'd have to cross), I can see him being a real fan of musical theatre. For some reason Phantom of the Opera and Les Mis come to mind. I could see him just blown away by those two shows.

Oh yes, I can imagine him liking Phantom for its tragic romantic theme. I think he'd love the old 1940s British film Brief Encounter for the same reason. He might even like Nat King Cole and Buddy Holly. I realised when I got home that my question could be on 2 levels- 1. If was the same man but living now, 2- if he could come back and live now as the same person. So it can be answered both ways. I know I was talking about the c20th/21st BUT- I think John would have ADORED Chopin! Chopin to me is the best composer. His Nocturnes are gorgeous, sweeping, romantic and passionate. They really evoke Junkets for me!

But then I thought that Byron would really be more the man for Queen, don't you think? The theatrics and "glam" seem to speak of Byron more than Keats. I could actually see Byron wearing spandex suits with the chests cut out of them ala Freddie Mercury.

Yes for sure- Byron and not Junkets!

A while back, (as in three years ago! :lol: ) I wrote on the forum that I thought Keats would really get something out of Bon Jovi, especially "You Give Love a Bad Name"--I could see him clinging to that song during one of his fever fits of jealousy over Fanny Brawne.

No, I'm not seeing that- I don't think he felt that way for Fanny- that's more a Brown thing... :wink:

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Malia » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:52 pm

Oh, I'm thinking he'd be into Bon Jovi primarily during his "jealous fit" times--not necessarily when he's in his right mind ;) (Though that is no reflection on Bon Jovi, mind you. I like them! :lol: )

And yes! Why didn't I think of Chopin. Of course Keats would have loved him. What about Roller Coasters? I think Keats would have liked roller coasters also--to move this into a completely different realm--hehe. Actually, I could see Keats being interested in extreme sports. Certainly he'd be a footie fan. Don't know which club he'd prefer, though.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:01 pm

Oh, I'm thinking he'd be into Bon Jovi primarily during his "jealous fit" times--not necessarily when he's in his right mind ;) (Though that is no reflection on Bon Jovi, mind you. I like them! :lol: )

They were live on the radio here a few days ago. Jon still can sing! They are not really my thing; I'm an alternative type Girl- into Bjork, Sigur Ros, Riceboy Sleeps, Enya, Medieval Baebes, pagan /folk music and classical stuff. But I much prefer Bon Jovi to "chart music"- yuck. Oh - of course! John would have liked Enya I think, and the Medieval Baebes for sure- he liked the idea of romantic, fey medieval ladies... :D

In case you don't know them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWSRR8xmXqY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLsWTBQe ... re=related

Now, you see wouldn't he LOVE them?! :wink:
I think they are brilliant- they sing in old European languages- some medieval- which was an interest of his- he loved Chaucer didn't he? I think I'll put them on in the background next time I read The Eve of St Agnes. That is one of my faves of his.
Another related question- if John had lived in the Medieval times what would he be? I think he'd be some kind of Bard, Minstrel or poet ...

And yes! Why didn't I think of Chopin. Of course Keats would have loved him.

The sad thing is if John had lived to his full life span he WOULD hve been able to hear Chopin- who was born just a few years later in 1810. But hey maybe the two of them are enjoying each other's work up there... :wink:

What about Roller Coasters? I think Keats would have liked roller coasters also--to move this into a completely different realm--hehe.

I cannot see him liking them somehow...

Actually, I could see Keats being interested in extreme sports. Certainly he'd be a footie fan. Don't know which club he'd prefer, though.

No, he was a cricket man...cricket being for :wink: gentlemen..

I cannot see him sending texts though can you? I bet he'd still be writing romantIc passionate letters! I bet he'd laugh at the British New Romantics of the 1980s as well!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby keatsclose » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:54 pm

Nick Drake? John Martyn? Early Van M?
keatsclose

Postby BrokenLyre » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:45 pm

Dream Theatre....

Maybe not. But he would love the complicated symbolism of the artwork in the Octovarium album. :)
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Raphael » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:39 pm

He would have loved the Lord of the Rings books I think!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby keatsclose » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:16 pm

Jeff Buckley's Grace?
keatsclose

Postby Raphael » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:14 pm

Never heard any of his music, so cannot comment on that sorry. I think he might have liked some of George Harrison's music as he like our dear poet was a spiritual man who was fed up with the "authorities". I think George's lyrics might resonate with him.Perhaps he'd like Kate Bush too- for her unusual beauty and passionate, sensual expression.And she is unconventional- and he liked unconventional women! (especially beautiful ones)

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:37 pm

Oh I think he would like this lady too- Eddi Reader from Scotland who is singing Ae Fond Kiss ( John liked Robert Burns didn't he?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMmtBgMaF5I

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Malia » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:15 pm

Oh my gosh, I love Eddi Reader! And Ae Fond Kiss is one of my favorites of hers. I found out about her when I was visiting Scotland. I'd heard that various artists had made recordings interpreting the many songs that Robert Burns wrote and I wanted to buy a CD as a souvenir. I asked the sales clerk at the Inverness mall who he'd recommend and he said, "oh, you want to get a CD by Eddie Redder". "Eddie Redder?" I echoed tentatively--"Who's he?" They guy just laughed and repeated himself, adding that it was a *she*, not a he. After three tries at deciphering his accent I said, "oh! Eddi READER". They didn't have any of her music but I found a collection of hers at the Burns Cottage gift shop. I've got it in my car right now and I listen to it a lot.
Yes, Keats was very fond of Robert Burns; I'm sure he would have enjoyed listening to some of his songs.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby BrokenLyre » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:14 pm

Wow---amazing...Eddi Reader.... I am familiar with Irish and Scotish music, but now I have to look into Eddi Reader. Thanks for the tip.

Hmmm ...would Keats like River Dance? (Based on the movie Bright Star, he would find it fascinating and entertaining I'm sure.

I saw the Broadway Production years ago. Much better than I expected.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Re: Muses and artists- who would JK admire of today's?

Postby Raphael » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:30 pm

Wow---amazing...Eddi Reader.... I am familiar with Irish and Scotish music, but now I have to look into Eddi Reader. Thanks for the tip.

I love Eddi- her voice is amazing. She was in a band in the 80s called Fairground Attraction. I have a CD of theirs. she has been solo on the folk circuit for a few years now.

Hmmm ...would Keats like River Dance? (Based on the movie Bright Star, he would find it fascinating and entertaining I'm sure.

Have you seen Bright Star now then? The scene of him demonstrating the highland fling is one that didn't sit with me- John never danced- he hated it! I don't think he liked watching dances much either unless they were folk ones like the Scottish ones. He might have liked Riverdance, but plays are more his thing!

Now THIS he would love: ( The Lark Ascending)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKz6XJlI_jk&feature=fvw

I could just imagine him writing some sublime Ode to this ...
This music makes me think of him.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby keatsclose » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:35 am

Hasn't any Keatsian on this site - even in the States - encountered Jeff Buckley?
Like Keats he died in his twenties, and his singing has a sublime, almost swooning
quality expressing passion and pain. His celebrated album Grace includes a soaring,
defiant version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah and an exquisite rendering of a medieval
lyric. The title track strikes one to the heart.
keatsclose

Next

Return to Miscellaneous