Robert Burns Night

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Robert Burns Night

Postby Raphael » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:58 pm

It was Burns Night in Scotland a few days ago- one has to admire the Scots for their appreciation of a poet and to celebrate him every year- if only the English would do the same with John Keats! I think there ought to be a John Keats night!
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Re: Robert Burns Night

Postby Malia » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:43 pm

A Keats night would be fabulous. There would definitely be claret on the menu and probably various kinds of game (as he seemed to enjoy game) and, of course, something made with hazelnuts as I remember him rhapsodizing over them in a letter to one of his friends (Reynolds?) who sent him some as a gift.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby BrokenLyre » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:53 am

Oh I certainly agree with a "Keats Night." England has so many great poets that singling out Keats for such special recognition might cause a problem. But I like the idea!
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Raphael » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:20 pm

A
Keats night would be fabulous. There would definitely be claret on the menu and probably various kinds of game (as he seemed to enjoy game) and, of course, something made with hazelnuts as I remember him rhapsodizing over them in a letter to one of his friends (Reynolds?) who sent him some as a gift.

I don't remember hazelnuts- do you which date the letter is? But some other foods he liked/loved:
Clementines
oranges
filberts (whatever they are)
jams
jellies
and his "capital roast beef sandwiches". He seemed to have a good appetite for food didn't he? :D

I think there would be Haydn on the piano and plenty of punning and card games!

Oh I certainly agree with a "Keats Night." England has so many great poets that singling out Keats for such special recognition might cause a problem. But I like the idea!

Keats House is lucky I live up north as I'd probably be pestering them to do a Keats night on his birthday every year!Not a problem at all BL- he is the best poet England has ever had and ever will have. :wink:

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:26 pm

I just looked up on the online dictionary what filberts are- so they are hazel nuts! I wonder what had been done to them- raw they are ok but not as appetising as peanuts.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to Miscellaneous