Alternative world- Romantic poets

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Alternative world- Romantic poets

Postby Raphael » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:21 pm

Have you seen this? A what if- Byron, Shelley and our dear John not dying young..and what might have happened. I don't go with the alternate John though!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P.%27s_Correspondence

I think he would have been greater than that and no recluse!
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Re: Alternative world- Romantic poets

Postby Cybele » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:46 am

Raphael wrote:Have you seen this? A what if- Byron, Shelley and our dear John not dying young..and what might have happened. I don't go with the alternate John though!

Thanks Raphael. I [sometimes :? ] enjoy Hawthorne, and was looking for something different. I've downloaded the book from Gutenberg to my PDA.
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:13 pm

Did they charge you to download it?

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cybele » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:07 am

Raphael wrote:Did they charge you to download it?

No cost. The books are in the public domain. Project Gutenberg (http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page) is supported through donations and, I believe, volunteer help.

A couple of months ago, I downloaded the 1812 edition of "Elements of Chemical Philosophy" by Sir Humphry Davy from Gutenberg. (It was one of Keats's text books. -- I tend to get a bit obsessive. :) ) I found it very interesting -- and more completely understood some of the things Keats mentioned or described in his letters. (I.e.-- He used the word "decomposition" in a chemical sense rather than the "compost pile" sense.)
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:57 pm

I tried to find the Davy book and it hadn't got it!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Jupiter » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:01 pm

Raphael wrote:Have you seen this? A what if- Byron, Shelley and our dear John not dying young..and what might have happened. I don't go with the alternate John though!

From what I read there, none of the alternate Romantic poets depicted in this book is even remotely plausible. I am aware that it is a work of fiction, however I think Hawthorne should have attempted a more 'logical' course of events. I find it hard to believe that Byron would have ever become a puritan, or that Shelley would have embraced religion, because of some characteristics and sets of beliefs that were deeply embedded in their respective personalities. As for Keats... while I am sure he was deeply affected by the negative feedback he had faced from The Quarterly Review, I am believe, or at least I wish to believe, that, had he not died, he would have continued to write poetry against all the odds, because even if he was sensitive he had a strong heart and he wouldn't have hanged his head down in defeat so easily.

It could prove an interesting read, but I wouldn't take it seriously for one second.
Jupiter

Postby Sid13 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:11 pm

Jupiter wrote:From what I read there, none of the alternate Romantic poets depicted in this book is even remotely plausible. I am aware that it is a work of fiction, however I think Hawthorne should have attempted a more 'logical' course of events. I find it hard to believe that Byron would have ever become a puritan, or that Shelley would have embraced religion, because of some characteristics and sets of beliefs that were deeply embedded in their respective personalities.

Yes, the imagined future careers of Byron and Shelley seem unbelievable, but Hawthorne had precedents for this in real life. I suspect he got the idea for the story from contrasting the older generation of the English romantic poets (Wordsworth, Coleridge, and Southey) with the younger (Byron, Shelley, and Keats). The former in old age both lost their poetical inspiration and turned against the political positions they had held. The picture of Byron as a puritanical tory or Shelley as an Anglican clergyman is really no weirder than the metamorphosis the "epic renegade" Southey went through.
Sid13

Postby Cybele » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:10 pm

Raphael wrote:I tried to find the Davy book and it hadn't got it!

I found it here. (Google Books) http://books.google.com/books?id=0JcAAA ... q=&f=false
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:43 pm

Thanks!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Maureen » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:55 am

Glad I'm not the only one who gets obsessive about these things - I downloaded Burton's 'Anatomy of Melancholy' from Gutenberg, and excepts from John Brand's 'Observations on Popular Anquities' from Googlebooks - I found this interesting in its own right because ancient folklore and beliefs fascinate me. I've also downloaded Shelley's 'The Necessity of Atheism' which I think throws questions on the premise of the book under discussion - which I'm about to downlaod. All I need now is time to read them all!!
Maureen

Postby Cybele » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:07 am

Raphael wrote:I tried to find the Davy book and it hadn't got it!

Let me look for it again, Raphael. I'll post a link.
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Cybele » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:20 am

Maureen wrote:Glad I'm not the only one who gets obsessive about these things - I downloaded Burton's 'Anatomy of Melancholy' from Gutenberg, and excepts from John Brand's 'Observations on Popular Anquities' from Googlebooks - I found this interesting in its own right because ancient folklore and beliefs fascinate me. I've also downloaded Shelley's 'The Necessity of Atheism' which I think throws questions on the premise of the book under discussion - which I'm about to downlaod. All I need now is time to read them all!!

Would you believe I bought a copy of "Anatomy of Melancholy" about 20 years ago. (I was obsessive even back then! :lol: )

I was lucky to have found "The Necessity of Atheism" in the local university library.

I need a good e-book reader in addition to more time. ( Only a couple years until I retire! I plan to read myself silly! 8) )
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:34 pm

Would you believe I bought a copy of "Anatomy of Melancholy" about 20 years ago. (I was obsessive even back then! :lol: )

I'd like to read it, but I doubt it would be in the library- I'm not sure I want to spend money on such a book- isn't most of it nonsense from a modern perspective? (No disrespects to dear Junkets for reading it...)

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cybele » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:30 am

Raphael wrote:

I'd like to read it, but I doubt it would be in the library- I'm not sure I want to spend money on such a book- isn't most of it nonsense from a modern perspective? (No disrespects to dear Junkets for reading it...)

Well -- I bought it pre-Internet. (IOW, a long, long time ago. :) )

From a modern perspective, of course it's a bunch of nonsense. By turns, it's interesting, shocking and funny.

The book is a kind of erudite rambling, ranting, *digressing,* (Digression here is turned into an art form.) soaring, sinking carrying-on that goes on (and on. And on . . .).

Just surrender to it, roll with it and enjoy it. (Remember, there will be no exam at the end! :lol: )
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Maureen » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:50 am

You don't have to buy it - it is available to download or read on the net here:
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/10800
- so you can at last have a browse and see if it's something you would want to read through without splashing the cash.

As Cybele says, from the viewpoint of what we know now it is nonsense, but I find it fascinating because it represents what was truly believed at the time: it was a trusted and widely read text for a couple of centuries, and heavily influenced a whole bunch of writers.

Although - because I believe in following your heart in your life decisions - I totally understand why Junkets left medicine for poetry, he did train at an exciting time in medical history, when they were on the cusp of making discoveries that shaped modern practice.
Maureen

Return to Miscellaneous