The current/World Affairs thread.

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

The current/World Affairs thread.

Postby Saturn » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:43 pm

I've wanted to create a thread about this for a long time.

Okay the hot topic of the moment - The Lebannon situation.

Your views and opinions please. :?:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:48 pm

I know there were many Houstonians who were evacuated from Lebanon (Americans who were there for work reasons and whatnot) and arrived today to a flux of sobbing relatives flocking at Bush Intercontinental airport...sad... :shock:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:00 am

Apparently The number of British citizens evacuated is the largest since Dunkirk in World War Two :shock:

So an entire country is being flattened to get rid of a terrorist group... :? :roll:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:41 am

Profoundly sad... :shock:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Credo Buffa » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:31 am

This is one of those things where I personally find it almost impossible to have an opinion other than to say that it's horrible and it shouldn't have to happen. It's gotten to the point in world conflict where all sense of true righteousness and nobility seems to have disappeared in favor of rocket power, self-preservation, and annihilation. You feel the need to ask of each side, "So, when you've destroyed every man, woman, and child of your enemy, what do you plan to do with the ruined shell of a world with which you're left?" Any sense of humanity just seems to be gone. How can you possibly say who is more right and deserving or who is more wrong in a situation like that?
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Malia » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:23 am

It seems to me that so many of the crazy dictators would happily destroy everyone in order to have ultimate power (I'm speaking of people such as Kim Jong Il--forgive if I misspell his name :oops: ) Of course the irony is, when they *do* kill everyone and ruin our environment for good with nuclear bombs--there'd be nothing to rule.

Frankly, I can hardly even get into dialogue about these things--I turn off the radio and change the channel on the t.v. when mid-east war and Korean standoffs are mentioned. It's perhaps selfish of me, but in the name of self-preservation...I can only handle so much of it at once. :(
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:29 am

Malia wrote:Frankly, I can hardly even get into dialogue about these things--I turn off the radio and change the channel on the t.v. when mid-east war and Korean standoffs are mentioned. It's perhaps selfish of me, but in the name of self-preservation...I can only handle so much of it at once. :(

I know the feeling well.

I do like to be informed, even if it's in passing of what's going on in the world but the tragedy of it is too overwhelming for me it just really upsets me too much to get involved in.

I vey rarely watch the news, or pay much attention to stuff like this as it usually makes me extremely depressed.
I had a nervous breakdown when the whole 9/11 thing was happening - caused directly by watching the news 24/7 that whole week.

From an early age in my country where I heard about nothing but terrorism - bombs, maimings, men being gunned down in their homes in front of their wives and children I have had a horror of the news and a deep-seated need to escape from it but trying to avoid the horrors of the world.

Now that I am grown up I still try and avoid it but when a potential third world war is on the cards you have to begin to take notice :?
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Discovery » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:35 pm

Hey, sorry for jumping in here.
Israel always used to be cast as the bad guys in my mind, but then I read the memoirs of Amos Oz and when you see everybody as real people and not an ideology, then it is hard to say one side is right and the other wrong. On the news the other day they had a piece about the drought in the Amazon straight after news from Beirut. It made my think how stupid these troubles are when we are facing changes in the world that will affect everybody in a profound way, mind you these changes will probably only increase conflict :cry:
Discovery

Postby dks » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:52 pm

What's truly unbelievable is just how long this has been going on--for thousands of years...the Isrealis have fought to maintain what they feel is their Holy Land--even if that means a strip or border...the battle between Cross and Crescent has endured in so many forms and fashions simply because of the fundamental differences in beliefs...the militant groups are so frightening--NO regard for human life whatsoever. :shock: :(
dks
Dante

Postby Credo Buffa » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:56 pm

Discovery wrote:On the news the other day they had a piece about the drought in the Amazon straight after news from Beirut. It made my think how stupid these troubles are when we are facing changes in the world that will affect everybody in a profound way, mind you these changes will probably only increase conflict :cry:

Isn't that the truth, though? The world has enough problems without people fighting with each other. :(
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Brave Archer » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:46 pm

Saturn wrote:
Malia wrote:Frankly, I can hardly even get into dialogue about these things--I turn off the radio and change the channel on the t.v. when mid-east war and Korean standoffs are mentioned. It's perhaps selfish of me, but in the name of self-preservation...I can only handle so much of it at once. :(

I know the feeling well.

I do like to be informed, even if it's in passing of what's going on in the world but the tragedy of it is too overwhelming for me it just really upsets me too much to get involved in.

I vey rarely watch the news, or pay much attention to stuff like this as it usually makes me extremely depressed.
I had a nervous breakdown when the whole 9/11 thing was happening - caused directly by watching the news 24/7 that whole week.

From an early age in my country where I heard about nothing but terrorism - bombs, maimings, men being gunned down in their homes in front of their wives and children I have had a horror of the news and a deep-seated need to escape from it but trying to avoid the horrors of the world.

Now that I am grown up I still try and avoid it but when a potential third world war is on the cards you have to begin to take notice :?

I guess we all can relate to that, Saturn. The things as children we never pay attention to and as adults are forc'd to indure. It's amazing the things the news points out to us; I alway's am shock'd when something happens in the world and it's there saying the perfect little box you live in Brave is not the world. I'm afraid of what this world will be when I have children.
Why don't you really tell me how you feel!
Brave Archer

Postby Saturn » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:20 am

I doubt I'll ever be fortunate enough to have children and I can't ever imagine bringing children into a terrifying world like this :?
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:57 pm

Without children brought up by good people who can recognize the world's rights and wrongs, though, how can there be any hope for the future?
Credo Buffa
Lamia

World Affairs

Postby MonroeDoctrine » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:07 pm

Now ye must know that I definetely must comment on this.

FROM A LAROUCHITE POINT OF VIEW:

Why is SOuth West Asia blowing up? And I say south west asia not the Middle East because I don't want to locate Lebanon or any other country in the region from Britain. The arrogance of the British is to assume they are the center of the globe. There is a network of oligarchs directly represented by financial institutions such as the Bank of International Settlements etc.... that want an empire. Meaning some people were born to rule and others must submit to their empire. This is called the Synarchist International; and ironically some of the intelligence work that was declassified on this was donated to the UCLA library. Anyways the chaos we see is just a way to keep countries oppressed and destroyed.

Now I'll write more on the specifics later I've got to go but this is subsuming everything we're seeing in the Lebanon situation. Peace to Israeli Maj. General Uri Sagi who just pointed out how this is going to destroy Israel !
Peace
MonroeDoctrine
At Parnassus' foot

Postby dks » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:18 pm

Saturn wrote:I doubt I'll ever be fortunate enough to have children and I can't ever imagine bringing children into a terrifying world like this :?

My sons are doing pretty good despite the horrors of the world. I've chosen to teach them that the horrors are what's underscored and showcased. What they don't see and what I hope to point out to them is all the greatness and good that is everywhere--it's just not front page news, sadly. People tend to be bored by simple acts of greatness or kindness that go a long way...it's those simple things that are missed--because the terrifying things are more interesting to people, seemingly. :?

I'd like to encourage my boys to always pick up Thoreau's Walden when they feel like the "weight of the world" is too much... :wink:
dks
Dante

Next

Return to Miscellaneous